Ontec smart water Meter

alqassam

Expert Member
I have one of these installed on my property and it has saved me a few times with leaks and over usage of water.

I would like to intergrate this into HA.

Basically if I can create a script to login and parse the hourly usage, and use it HA. We can create graphs and alerts.

The ontec system is pretty lame with an alert at 75% usage or 100% usage. But what about 200% or excessive usage during night hours.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing.

Dairyfarmer

Executive Member
I installed an $9 water flow meter into the path of my pool fill valve to watch for excessive filling or perhaps leaks (yep, I've had them - I should make a video about fixing that!). The water flow meter is attached to a Raspberry Pi (Rpi) ZeroW which counts the pulses from the meter and if the count goes over the limit, it emails me. I didn't attach the code but if you'd like it just message me and I can send it or put it into the description.
You can get those inline turbines locally although they are a bit pricey.

raind33r

Expert Member
Some ideas please.

I like what the Ontec does, but I also want the ability to send a command to shut a valve/ or open it.
This is apparently available from https://utility-systems.co.za/products-and-solutions/iot/
They don't sell directly to public, so waiting to hear about resellers in CPT.

The raspberry Pi is cool, but how workable would that be if you are 2 hours drive away?
Know of anything else?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I have one of these installed on my property and it has saved me a few times with leaks and over usage of water.

I would like to intergrate this into HA.

Basically if I can create a script to login and parse the hourly usage, and use it HA. We can create graphs and alerts.

The ontec system is pretty lame with an alert at 75% usage or 100% usage. But what about 200% or excessive usage during night hours.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing.
I've done this for the Ontec electricity meter to send me a daily telegram message. I can only imagine the water meter working in a similar way:

Login page
Grab the csrf token
Do login
Scrape dashboard

Happy to share the code if you PM me. Think it's written in Go or maybe Python, but its straight forward as you don't have to worry about cookies like you do with Ideal Prepaid (you need a headless instance of Chrome for that)

1606243337210.png

zarf

I've done this for the Ontec electricity meter to send me a daily telegram message. I can only imagine the water meter working in a similar way:

Login page
Grab the csrf token
Do login
Scrape dashboard

Happy to share the code if you PM me. Think it's written in Go or maybe Python, but its straight forward as you don't have to worry about cookies like you do with Ideal Prepaid (you need a headless instance of Chrome for that)

Is that a municipal electricity meter or a private sub-vending meter? A colleague has just had an Ontec meter installed by the city of Cape Town, and I'm hoping to find a way to access balance information for him to use for automation. He's registered on Ontec Home but it only shows purchase history and no feedback from the meter. The meter itself doesn't seem to expose any wireless comms, so I'm wondering where you're logging in to get data?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Ontec Home but it only shows purchase history and no feedback from the meter.

Had this issue before. You'll phone Ontec and tell them your electricity reading isn't showing and they'll respond with "it doesn't do that". Then you'll tell them but it worked before and the back and forth will start. Eventually I learnt to take a screenshot of it working and emailing them with the screenshot when it stops working.