Opel Corsa B 1,4 C14se broken rocker arms

Corsa1point4owner

Hi people!

Just a question...

Today my car just did not want to start after making a loud ticking noise yesterday after driving.

Its a C14SE motor

After removing the tappet cover it shows that the rocker arms on the left side of each cylinder have broken, the ones on the right side of each cylinder seem totally fine

It seems as though there was an issue with my timing belt, it's not broken, but I can see that the nut holding it was worn out, and did not turn correctly, which most likely caused the rocker arms to break l.

I've Googled non stop and I can't confirm whether this is a interference or non interference engine.

My question is, do the valves bend on and engine like this and need to be replaced? Or can I just replace the rocker arms?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Conflicting statements on the net, some say it is interference, some say it isn't.

Smugs

Expert Member
The nut holding your timing belt is worn and did not turn correctly..????

Smugs

Expert Member
Well if it is the tensioner, it probably means the cam belt jumped a few teeth, threw the timing out, bent a few valves and snapped the rocker arms...

Corsa1point4owner

Thanks for your responses. I'm sorry I'm not well educated when it comes to car engines.

Yes! I meant the tensioner.

I removed the cover and only the rocker arms on the left side of each cylinder were broken.

It shows on Google that the engine is a GM Family 1 engine, which should be non interference. I just don't want to replace valves unnecessarily, as its quite costly

Corsa1point4owner

If this helps, here's a link to the page which showed me all engine types :

Mekon

Expert Member
Best to remove the head and access the damage. Those valve are not angles like with a 16v motor and would hit the piston dead on. They could bend but that is probably why the rockers broke. Get a new pulley and bolt. Check the keyway or positioning pin on the cam. If it's damaged just get a new cam from Alert engine parts. Not hellishly expensive.

WesleyDB

Hi people!

Just a question...

Today my car just did not want to start after making a loud ticking noise yesterday after driving.

Its a C14SE motor

After removing the tappet cover it shows that the rocker arms on the left side of each cylinder have broken, the ones on the right side of each cylinder seem totally fine

It seems as though there was an issue with my timing belt, it's not broken, but I can see that the nut holding it was worn out, and did not turn correctly, which most likely caused the rocker arms to break l.

I've Googled non stop and I can't confirm whether this is a interference or non interference engine.

My question is, do the valves bend on and engine like this and need to be replaced? Or can I just replace the rocker arms?
If it broke the rocker arms it definitely is an interference engine.

Claymore

Executive Member
I was watching a video a couple of days ago where stripped teeth on a cambelt stopped the engine and broke all 16 rocker arms. The guy replaced them plus the cambelt, and it started right up. It seems the engine was designed for the rocker arms to sacrifice themselves and save the valves.

Corsa1point4owner

Thank you very much for all your responses.

But isn't that exactly what a non interference engine should do??

I spoke to a couple mechanics, who have also all given me conflicting statements, some saying that the valves should be bent, some saying that it wouldn't.

I've checked the tensioner, and I can see that it has worn. It was periodically spinning with the cambelt as it should... And then for a few seconds it stopped spinning with the belt, and then again it started spinning with the belt again. This then most likely caused the belt to skip a few teeth.

A week before this I fitted a new camshaft.

There is no damage to the camshaft, only the rocker arms on the left side of each cylinder (I think the intake sides), so it seems like the new camshaft is what slammed again the rockers and broke them.

The belt itself is still in a good condition, so I will proceed to replace the tensioner and washer, and instead of only replacing the broken rocker arms, I'll replace all 8 of them.
Rocker arms cost about 50rand each, so it should not be as costly.

Hopefully this will resolve the issue without having to replace valves.

I'll be sure you let you guys know what happens.

Thank you again for your responses, it's been much help.

I was watching a video a couple of days ago where stripped teeth on a cambelt stopped the engine and broke all 16 rocker arms. The guy replaced them plus the cambelt, and it started right up. It seems the engine was designed for the rocker arms to sacrifice themselves and save the valves.

Corsa1point4owner

Camshaft got broken in half.. If I'm being honest I'm not sure what happened...

It was just driving oneday and the engine lost power. We then noticed that the camshaft was broken.

I then replaced the camshaft, and the car was driving like a dream for the past two weeks. It was driving better than it ever was since purchasing the car, if I'm being honest.

Then the above mentioned happened and now I'm currently in this situation.

Colin62

Executive Member
Perhaps it’s an idea to get it checked by a mechanic (or a friend who has more experience working on cars) after you replace the rockers. I’d not be surprised if the belt slipping is related to the work done replacing the cam - I’m not a big believer in coincidence, you worked on the cam, now you’ve got broken rockers, and I doubt it’s a coincidence.

It’s all very well learning as you go, but it can get expensive quite quickly, better to learn from someone else.