Opel Corsa B not performing the way it should. Please help me?

RonaldHart

Hi guys. I have a 2006 Corsa B Lite+ (aircon and power steering one). When I bought the car second hand it was not running. Had to redo the ECU which was done at a place in Germiston. I have replaced the bearings and rings as piston 1 had no compression either. After that the car started. Then I replaced the TPS, Coil Pack, Bougi Cords, Idling Control Valve and the sensor that is on the blcok underneath the coil pack and yet the car still does not run smooth as it should. I got 2nd hand injectors as new ones are just too expensive but these ones work. The car has something that is holding it back and the engine light just wont go off. I had the car at 3 auto electricians and the results came back that the car has to run correct as everything on the engine is 100% fine. It struggles to start when it is cold, it does not have power in low revs and it is extremely heavy on fuel. I will have to see the consumption now with the other injectors in as it was only done last night but according to the fuel gauge it is still heavy. Please can anyone out there just try to help me as I have already spent more money on this car as what it is worth and I am not in the position to just flog it and buy a new car, I have to make work with what I have. I love the car as I have a friend that has one as well and his is just amazing so I do not want to just let the car go to dumps as I want to fix it up but I cannot think of anything anymore that could be the problem?

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming

Start here, we have dedicate thread for these cars.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Check the catalytic converter, or just decat it already.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I would usually run away, very fast from a car that has had issues with an ECU, I hate invisible electronics and computer problems, but since you can't you have to stick it out.

Check everything again, even the replacement parts. Since you haven't replaced the intake air sensor perhaps check that. Have you taken the car for a proper diagnostics to see what the engine light is about?

RonaldHart

I would usually run away, very fast from a car that has had issues with an ECU, I hate invisible electronics and computer problems, but since you can't you have to stick it out.

Check everything again, even the replacement parts. Since you haven't replaced the intake air sensor perhaps check that. Have you taken the car for a proper diagnostics to see what the engine light is about?
I have had it at 3 different auto electricians and they all said she tps was faulty and the map sensor which I replaced. Where does the air intake sensor sit? If it is the one on the pipe that runs from the air filter then it has also been replaced.

Ninja'd

A Djinn

Start here, we have dedicate thread for these cars.
Judging by the amount of issues in that thread I'd wager OP's Corsa is actually performing the way it should.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Please excuse my stupidity but what is decat? And where does this catalytic converter sit?
A decat is the process to remove the catalytic converter. It sits after the exhaust manifold. With age, these get blocked and impede exhaust gas flow, causing loss in performance, increased fuel consumption etc. All the symptoms you describe.

RonaldHart

A decat is the process to remove the catalytic converter. It sits after the exhaust manifold. With age, these get blocked and impede exhaust gas flow, causing loss in performance, increased fuel consumption etc. All the symptoms you describe.
I will definately have a look at that thank you very mich for the advise.

SHL

Hi guys. I have a 2006 Corsa B Lite+ (aircon and power steering one). When I bought the car second hand it was not running. Had to redo the ECU which was done at a place in Germiston. I have replaced the bearings and rings as piston 1 had no compression either. After that the car started. Then I replaced the TPS, Coil Pack, Bougi Cords, Idling Control Valve and the sensor that is on the blcok underneath the coil pack and yet the car still does not run smooth as it should. I got 2nd hand injectors as new ones are just too expensive but these ones work. The car has something that is holding it back and the engine light just wont go off. I had the car at 3 auto electricians and the results came back that the car has to run correct as everything on the engine is 100% fine. It struggles to start when it is cold, it does not have power in low revs and it is extremely heavy on fuel. I will have to see the consumption now with the other injectors in as it was only done last night but according to the fuel gauge it is still heavy. Please can anyone out there just try to help me as I have already spent more money on this car as what it is worth and I am not in the position to just flog it and buy a new car, I have to make work with what I have. I love the car as I have a friend that has one as well and his is just amazing so I do not want to just let the car go to dumps as I want to fix it up but I cannot think of anything anymore that could be the problem?
Damn. Should have posted here for advice BEFORE buying this car.

thechamp

Honorary Master
I have had it at 3 different auto electricians and they all said she tps was faulty and the map sensor which I replaced. Where does the air intake sensor sit? If it is the one on the pipe that runs from the air filter then it has also been replaced.
I meant a diagnostic place like Bosch where they can put in on a diagnostic machine and give you a report? I bet the guys were all guessing.

Moto Guzzi

I know nothing about a corsa never owned one, but a previous neighbour's sun over revved his engine and damaged valves. They overhauled the top, reassemble engine, then the problems start....Starts and backfires, runs erratic etc. They replaced a lot of stuff including the ECU, nothing helped, they gave up on it due to costs.
So we talked about it a few months later, I say ok lets just have a look. Luckily his garage were darkish, so I used a tourch and as he cranked the engine, I saw clearly the crank pully wobble. I took a feeler guage and the gap varied considerably on the crank positioning sensor(Thought this was a horrible design). I told him to 1st get this pully replaced, its a flimsy pulley.
Months later I run into him again smiling and he said that was the problem all along, somebody must have bumped the engine.

cavedog

Honorary Master
I drive a corsa b lite. Can't really complain it's been really good.

They usually only have a handful of issues being

Idle control valve
Coilpack
Crank angle sensor
Fuel pump relay
Fuel pump
Crank keyway worn out losing timing.

I never heard about injectors or ecu failing and that is why they are dirt cheap at scrap yards because they don't sell.

You changed everything that is an issue but I don't see you mentioning the crank.

The corsa B has a bad crank key way design where it pulley starts wearing out the key way. After some time you can lose 1 tooth distance in the timing causing the engine light to come on as there is a timing issue so the car thinks it's a faulty sensor especially the crank angle sensor.

To check remove the cam belt cover. Look from the wheel side to the crank pulley at the bottom. Look at the keyway. You can google it a bit.

The fix would need to have the crank shaft stripped to take it to engineering to fix the key way. Can be an expensive repair.

If you can get the turned back to the correct timing people on the Opel groups have a nice fix that works well. Drill a hole and hit a drillbit cut to size in the hole to make a wedge. This will permanently fix the keyway issue if that is the issue.

Stokstert

Executive Member
They usually only have a handful of issues being

Idle control valve
Coilpack
Crank angle sensor
Fuel pump relay
Fuel pump
Crank keyway worn out losing timing.
With so many possible issues or even combinations of issues I rather stay with my trusty VW.