Opel Grandland x vs Mazda CX 5??

djbrendan

Expert Member
Hi all,

Been thinking of trading the wives polo in for something larger. We travel quite a bit to family, 3-5 times a year.

With the idea of kids being in our future plans we need to think of a few things like boot space et c.

Budget would probably be around 270-360k for a second hand vehicle with warranty and a service plan left.

I love the look of the mazda's face, but the opel's front is not bad at all, the rear wins here.
Going for engines in the price bracket, mazda 2.0 non turtbo kicks 213 Nm and 121 Kw , which isn't bad, but considering the body ?? Kinda seems lacking in the power department. A friend drives one, not bad at all, still you feel the engine works harder to lump that size around. The Opel brings a 1.6T and delivers 121kW/240Nm , not much of a difference but im sure 240 at a low ref range will help a lot to move that body around.

So i guess what i want to know is, who's got one of these and how would they compare. Quite a few are saying Mazda, overseas okes aim for the Vauxhall.. The VW Tiguan is sadly out of the price range when it comes to year, warranty and service. I know the VW holds a great resale value. But price wise it's not going to fit the pocket.

What are your thoughts ? Maybe add a alternative. Something with quality for the price like these to add.

NOTE: The peugeot 3008 seems great as well. But we all know how their resale value is.... ( maybe im wrong so please update me on this as the peugeot 3008 is a nice looking car and fancy interior )

Last edited:

Sumen

Expert Member
Hi all,

Been thinking of trading the wives polo in for something larger. We travel quite a bit to family, 3-5 times a year.

With the idea of kids being in our future plans we need to think of a few things like boot space et c.

Budget would probably be around 270-360k for a second hand vehicle with warranty and a service plan left.

I love the look of the mazda's face, but the opel's front is not bad at all, the rear wins here.
Going for engines in the price bracket, mazda 2.0 non turtbo kicks 213 Nm and 121 Kw , which isn't bad, but considering the body ?? Kinda seems lacking in the power department. A friend drives one, not bad at all, still you feel the engine works harder to lump that size around. The Opel brings a 1.6T and delivers 121kW/240Nm , not much of a difference but im sure 240 at a low ref range will help a lot to move that body around.

So i guess what i want to know is, who's got one of these and how would they compare. Quite a few are saying Mazda, overseas okes aim for the Vauxhall.. The VW Tiguan is sadly out of the price range when it comes to year, warranty and service. I know the VW holds a great resale value. But price wise it's not going to fit the pocket.

What are your thoughts ? Maybe add a alternative. Something with quality for the price like these to add.

NOTE: The peugeot 3008 seems great as well. But we all know how their resale value is.... ( maybe im wrong so please update me on this as the peugeot 3008 is a nice looking car and fancy interior )
Actually, resale value of the Grandland X is not good, would rather just include the 3008 in your list.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Yeah nobody buying opel atm, think they less than 10 grandland x a month! So resale value won't be great.

I would rather save up or buy a higher mileage Tiguan R-Line, it just looks so good!

K213N

I’ve got the CX-5, but the diesel. Got it less than a month ago, actually. Very, very smooth, comfortable and quiet freeway cruiser (relevant to me because I also do a lot of long distance driving). I never drove the petrol but looking at the power/torque figures, I decided to go the diesel route instead.

ABU

You should be able to get a new CX-5 for R370k, including 3 year service plan and 5 year extended warranty

djbrendan

Expert Member
Included the Peugeot's 3008. Seems it's resale is lot better than the Grandland X