Opening personal bank account online

BalkanK

Hi everyone

I'm interested in opening a personal savings account online without having to go into a branch or to a shop indoors. This must include a debit card and internet banking.

I know discovery bank already offers this service and they have the debit card delivered to you.

Are any other banks offering a similar service?

Thanks in advance,
Carter

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Capitec. Tymebank you still need to go to a kiosk to upgrade the account and print a card.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Nope, did not work for me. Had to go into the bank for internet banking. I did the opening of the account and all that with a selfie. They then redid it at the branch in any case.
Probably have insufficient data with home affairs. Not the banks fault.

BalkanK

Nope, did not work for me. Had to go into the bank for internet banking. I did the opening of the account and all that with a selfie. They then redid it at the branch in any case.
I just called them. Apparently if you open a new account with the App, then you can have the card delivered for R150, verifying your ID with the guy who delivers.

But right now you have to go in to a branch to replace a damaged or lost card.

When did you open your account?
Couldn't you access internet banking with the App?

Drifter

Honorary Master
I opened my account about a month and half ago or so. I opted to collect the card instead of paying the R150. I can do all banking I need on the App, but internet banking om my desktop, I had to go into the branch so they could set it up and activate.

BalkanK

I opened my account about a month and half ago or so. I opted to collect the card instead of paying the R150. I can do all banking I need on the App, but internet banking om my desktop, I had to go into the branch so they could set it up and activate.
Okay thanks

rvZA

Executive Member
Gave up on Capitec. Downloaded and installed their app earlier and when prompted to create a pin it gives an error and cannot open the account. Removed and reinstalled the app and still getting the error. Like most banks in SA, technology lags and does not work.

I do not think any SA bank offers the opportunity to open accounts online. Those who do, require you to eventually visit a branch before the account is opened. I tried FNB, Nedbank, Standard and Absa. All the same. A branch visit is mandatory even if you complete application online. Capitec does not work at all. Can't open an account with them online.

rvZA

Executive Member
Did you read the thread?

What should I have read?

You simply cannot open a personal bank account in South Africa at any of the major banks like FNB, Standard Bank, NedBank, Absa Bank. Neither can you open one with the smaller banks like Capitec. Seems you will need to try the dodgy banks if you want to open online.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Too many FAQ's to read through.

Anyone know if you can open an account for a minor via the same process?

rvZA

Executive Member
Too many FAQ's to read through.

Anyone know if you can open an account for a minor via the same process?

If you want to use any of the big banks, no you can't. You need to visit a branch.

I opened 3 accounts for my children (all minors) 2 years ago at Standard Bank. Simply because none of the big banks allowed me to open accounts online and Standard was the nearest to me.

I closed their accounts earlier this year, because Standard Bank requires you to visit a branch every year to KYC the 3 accounts or they will close it.

I tried again opening online at FNB, NedBank and Absa, without any success. None of the banks allow online opening.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
What should I have read?

You simply cannot open a personal bank account in South Africa at any of the major banks like FNB, Standard Bank, NedBank, Absa Bank. Neither can you open one with the smaller banks like Capitec. Seems you will need to try the dodgy banks if you want to open online.
Lol yeah right. Not going to bother reading further since it's probably lies as well...

dualmeister

Honorary Master
If you want to use any of the big banks, no you can't. You need to visit a branch.

I opened 3 accounts for my children (all minors) 2 years ago at Standard Bank. Simply because none of the big banks allowed me to open accounts online and Standard was the nearest to me.

I closed their accounts earlier this year, because Standard Bank requires you to visit a branch every year to KYC the 3 accounts or they will close it.

I tried again opening online at FNB, NedBank and Absa, without any success. None of the banks allow online opening.

rvZA

Executive Member
Lol yeah right. Not going to bother reading further since it's probably lies as well...

Just a shame their App is not working. Their web designers cannot even create an online registration system. Well, yeah, Africa just being Africa I suppose. Nothing working.