Openserve ADSL and VDSL – Upload speeds and prices

Ryansr

Expert Member
VDSL. What is that?

Meanwhile Telkom is still giving me the runaround for getting proper VDSL settings on the 20Mbps line. Their call centre agents are just horrifically incompetent on assisting with most technical issues. I keep being told "It's syncing properly on VDSL" while they cannot even give me assistance on how to enable it from my modem settings. Can anybody please tell me how to get VDSL on my DSL-AC52U modem? :confused:

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
Meanwhile Telkom is still giving me the runaround for getting proper VDSL settings on the 20Mbps line. Their call centre agents are just horrifically incompetent on assisting with most technical issues. I keep being told "It's syncing properly on VDSL" while they cannot even give me assistance on how to enable it from my modem settings. Can anybody please tell me how to get VDSL on my DSL-AC52U modem? :confused:
Set the vlan id?
https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showth...L-settings?p=15383192&viewfull=1#post15383192

system32

Expert Member
Openserve said it doesn’t plan to upgrade subscribers on its 1Mbps to 20Mbps ADSL connections, however, due to the technical limitations of ADSL technology.
What technical limitations - MSAN and FTTH are perfectly good technology solutions.

Seems that OpenServe MSAN and FTTH was a very limited marketing project.
Most of OpenServe customers are still stuck on < 4Mbps ADSL.

b166er

What technical limitations - MSAN and FTTH are perfectly good technology solutions.

Seems that OpenServe MSAN and FTTH was a very limited marketing project.
Most of OpenServe customers are still stuck on < 4Mbps ADSL.
Sadly Openserve has decided to price their offerings discouragingly. I don't have the stats, but they must be the most expensive fiber provider out there.

Telkom has always been operating this model though. When ISDN came out they priced it to discourage dialup users, when ADSL came out, they priced it to discourage diginet and ISDN users, and now they price FTTH to discourage ADSL and VDSL users.

I honestly hope the other providers out there (Vuma, fiberhoods etc.) take an axe to Telkom's bottom line hard enough for Telkom to wake up and smell the coffee.

vwaldeck

Yes, speed would be great if we had regular service. Our phone and internet access via ADSL has been off for over a month now. And judging by social medus posts, we are not alone. Telkom, eish.

system32

Expert Member
Sadly Openserve has decided to price their offerings discouragingly. I don't have the stats, but they must be the most expensive fiber provider out there.

Telkom has always been operating this model though. When ISDN came out they priced it to discourage dialup users, when ADSL came out, they priced it to discourage diginet and ISDN users, and now they price FTTH to discourage ADSL and VDSL users.

I honestly hope the other providers out there (Vuma, fiberhoods etc.) take an axe to Telkom's bottom line hard enough for Telkom to wake up and smell the coffee.
+1
Telkom pricing model:

64Kb/s network = 1x rands
128Kb/s network = 2x
1Mb/s network = 16x
10Mb/s networt = 160x
100Mb/s network = 1600x

Thank goodness for Vumatel/Seacom/Netotel/RAIN/LTE providers/etc.
Telkom is already feeling the pressure as customers switch.

carl.heymann

Since when does Openserve have 20MB ADSL? What is the difference between 20mb ADSL/VDSL? Will I be able to upgrade to 20MB ADSL, currently I'm to far from the closest exchange fro 20MB VDSL?

Why don't I see 20MB ADSL on any of the ISP price lists?

OneKnight

Since when does Openserve have 20MB ADSL? What is the difference between 20mb ADSL/VDSL? Will I be able to upgrade to 20MB ADSL, currently I'm to far from the closest exchange fro 20MB VDSL?

Why don't I see 20MB ADSL on any of the ISP price lists?
Have been on the 20Mb/s ADSL2+ product for about 5 years now.

Once made the mistake of asking for it to be changed to VDSL, but then the line refused to sync. Took me a week to find someone at Telkom who knew how to change it back to ADSL modulation.

Except for %^$%#! ASSIA launching terror attacks on the line and lowering the sync profile, there have not been any problems since.

It is working just fine when Telkom manually change the sync profile back to 20Mb/s.

I don't think they are have this product available anymore, but those that opted for it back in the day have been grandfathered in.

Last edited:

Ryansr

Expert Member
Thanks for the help but even after checking with Telkom today again and ensuring the settings as advised is on my modem, it still would not switch to VDSL and I am once more back to ADSL2Plus. Seems the connection is just not stable enough on VDSL to stay connected. I will have to give Telkom eventually what they want, which is to pay for a call-out of one of their technicians to come to where I'm staying in order to check my line which should be having VDSL.
VDSL_SA_Struggle.jpg

ponder

Honorary Master
Thanks for the help but even after checking with Telkom today again and ensuring the settings as advised is on my modem, it still would not switch to VDSL and I am once more back to ADSL2Plus. Seems the connection is just not stable enough on VDSL to stay connected. I will have to give Telkom eventually what they want, which is to pay for a call-out of one of their technicians to come to where I'm staying in order to check my line which should be having VDSL.
Ask them to check your profile, http://answers.afrihost.com/6399/vdsl-advanced-settings

LaraC

Honorary Master
Why cant OpenServe introduce a 10Mbps VDSL service.
I'm sure there would be a lot of people who would exchange their ADSL for increased upload speed. :)

Ryansr

Expert Member
Thanks and that's basically what I did when I phoned 10213 and used option 3 from the menu. The lady on the other end assured me that it is now syncing on VDSL profile on their side. Since I was on the line for almost two hours being shifted from one person to the next and then from 10213 to 10210 and back, I did not even feel like asking for anything other than ensuring that my line syncs on VDSL on their side. These "customer service agents" are really not knowledgeable at all about the things that they should be assisting Telkom customers with. The first person that I got from 10210 actually even told me "Yes, sir. I can see that your line is syncing on 20Mbps fibre connection." When I inquired about the fibre it was almost as if it was just a brain-fart from his side and he could not give me any further assistance so I just had to end the call and try again.

Ryansr

Expert Member
Finally VDSL2

Finally got through to someone knowledgeable at 10210 today and she assisted by switching my line to sync on a pure VDSL profile and prompted me throughout the procedure of switching the modem off and waiting until she did the change on their side and ensuring it syncs properly first before I could switch it on again and see the brand new VDSL2 profile reflected on my modem: :)

VDSL_Connected.jpg

BTTB

Finally got through to someone knowledgeable at 10210 today and she assisted by switching my line to sync on a pure VDSL profile and prompted me throughout the procedure of switching the modem off and waiting until she did the change on their side and ensuring it syncs properly first before I could switch it on again and see the brand new VDSL2 profile reflected on my modem: :)

View attachment 486186
I like the look of your upload speed!
This is my quest with Telkom as I’m on ADSL2PLUS.
When I made the order it took several calls to get through to a knowledgeable agent and then the order was enabled immediately, but now I am stuck in a loop with Telkom trying both 10210 and 10213 to change the profile and modulation.

20Mb ADSL2PLUS isn't worth it in my opinion, could just as well be on 10Mb where I was before.
Your exchange is Broadcom, maybe the Infineon(Lantiq) exchange is incapable of VDSL.
Will wait a month and see what happens.

Shot2082.jpg