Openserve and Telkom Speed Upgrade... Has anyone been upgraded?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I just sat it out and waited. The upgrade happened sometime today, but the performance is still terrible. Latency much worse with lots of dropped sessions.

YeOldeOke

See my Axxess Openserve line has been upgraded to 200/100 woohoo!!

Speedtest gives me 100/100 because my old tplink modem only have 100 ports. The modem is connected to the Huawei hg 8240gh ONT. Can't find much in specs on this.

It should be Gb capable I'd assume, but my question is can I use the ONT as a modem or do I need a new modem?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
See my Axxess Openserve line has been upgraded to 200/100 woohoo!!

Speedtest gives me 100/100 because my old tplink modem only have 100 ports. The modem is connected to the Huawei hg 8240gh ONT. Can't find much in specs on this.

It should be Gb capable I'd assume, but my question is can I use the ONT as a modem or do I need a new modem?
You need a new router :)

YeOldeOke

You need a new router :)
I use an Archer VR900 for wifi from another location, cable to VR900 from existing modem. I see you can hardly get a modem only these days, unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

If I get a router only, like the AX20 or such, can I set up the ISP login in it if it is connected directly to the ONT or do I have to have a router/modem. The VR900 is a modem/router, but I don't really want to move it because it's range is great, and I don't know if the ax20 will have similar range.

I guess the question is, if router (no modem) is connected to ONT can I set it up to dial ISP?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I use an Archer VR900 for wifi from another location, cable to VR900 from existing modem. I see you can hardly get a modem only these days, unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

If I get a router only, like the AX20 or such, can I set up the ISP login in it if it is connected directly to the ONT or do I have to have a router/modem. The VR900 is a modem/router, but I don't really want to move it because it's range is great, and I don't know if the ax20 will have similar range.

I guess the question is, if router (no modem) is connected to ONT can I set it up to dial ISP?

Any device that has an ethernet wan port will work.

Speedster

Honorary Master

Can't you use the Archer?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I have to move it to the end of the house where the office and ONT is, signal peters out towards the other end. Currently it is in a central location with ethernet running to it.
You should have got them to install the ONT right the best location for Wi-FI router! Left to their own devices, they would install it at the point that suits them which is hardly ever the best location.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Thanks. I'm old school, I still search for the word modem :)

The AX20 seems like a good choice.

Looks like a nice router. I have to be honest I'm not a TP-Link fan. I guess the AC750 is to blame for that. Horrible device.

I like Huawei or my favourite brand is Tenda. Really affordable routers that works really well.

Speedster

Honorary Master
I have to move it to the end of the house where the office and ONT is, signal peters out towards the other end. Currently it is in a central location with ethernet running to it.
You have a cable running from the old router to the Archer already? Can't you just plug that into the ont?

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Looks like a nice router. I have to be honest I'm not a TP-Link fan. I guess the AC750 is to blame for that. Horrible device.

I like Huawei or my favourite brand is Tenda. Really affordable routers that works really well.
Im not a fan of anything TP-Link makes. I had a ton of their devices at clients and they needed to be rebooted often which raised the support overhead.
If wifi isnt a requirement then I normally go straight to Mikrotik.

YeOldeOke

I've had various Tplink routers/modems for many years without the slightest glitch on any of them Same cannot be said for the Dlinks and Asus I had.

The ONT was installed in the office as that is where the server is, which is on ethernet. Else just pluging that cable into the ONT would be the simple solution.

YeOldeOke

I see the Tenda sells for around R800, may go for that as the wifi part is not important.

Pity though. The AX20 is just a little below the AX50 which comes with Trend Micro's security software for all the devices in the house for free. Didn't like their suite running on the server and laptops, too heavy, but on the router should be fine. Was gonna justify the extra cost with a bit of disingenuous reasoning there.

Maybe I still will :)

Last edited:

Speedster

Honorary Master
I've had various Tplink routers/modems for many years without the slightest glitch on any of them Same cannot be said for the Dlinks and Asus I had.

The ONT was installed in the office as that is where the server is, which is on ethernet. Else just pluging that cable into the ONT would be the simple solution.
I'm missing something here. Why can't you go ONT - VR900 via the existing cable?

YeOldeOke

I'm missing something here. Why can't you go ONT - VR900 via the existing cable?
Because the VR900 is in another room. That would mean I would have to run another ethernet cable back to the server. Or make the server wifi, an idea I don't like.

Or simply stick with 100mbps and save some bucks. Is 200mbps really much better? 100 seems pretty fast to me, but then I hail from the dial-up modem era.

Last edited:

Speedster

Honorary Master
Because the VR900 is in another room. That would mean I would have to run another ethernet cable back to the server. Or make the server wifi, an idea I don't like.
How about a simple ethernet switch in the room with the server? Short cable from ONT to switch. Short cable from switch to server. Long cable from switch to router.

YeOldeOke

How about a simple ethernet switch in the room with the server? Short cable from ONT to switch. Short cable from switch to server. Long cable from switch to router.
How's that going to work? That means the server is connected to the LAN before the modem....