Openserve cuts wholesale ADSL and fibre-to-the-home prices

LPCPT

Hope this filter through to customers. In these Zuma (sorry hard times) every little bit helps

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Nice.

But I'm still baffled how the Telkom Voice Line rental justifies an inflation-linked increase every year. Shouldn't this be reducing right now as well? Why is it R200 a month now for that?

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
So my fibre line I have with axxess but installed by openserve will cost me less each month? When?

Gezza

Expert Member
Nice.

But I'm still baffled how the Telkom Voice Line rental justifies an inflation-linked increase every year. Shouldn't this be reducing right now as well? Why is it R200 a month now for that?
Because they're kicking a dying horse. Keeping their monopoly might have done wonders for their pockets. Now that they're losing customers at a massive rate, they're squeezing out the last remaining milk.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Because they're kicking a dying horse. Keeping their monopoly might have done wonders for their pockets. Now that they're losing customers at a massive rate, they're squeezing out the last remaining milk.
I can't wait til I can get fibre. Then I'd be Telkom-free for life.

adrianx

Expert Member
Padayachee said Openserve’s investment in modernising its core network has resulted in greater network capacity.
...and about 7km from the centre of Johannesburg, I'm still stuck with a 10Mbps ADSL line. "Uncapped" LTE with a 10GB FUP is not an option for me.

Zoopy

Banned
Nice.

Because it's more efficient to increase the price on something that ADSL users can't avoid paying.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Because it's more efficient to increase the price on something that ADSL users can't avoid paying.
ADSL users can't avoid paying ADSL line/data costs either, yet it constantly gets reduced.

Surv0

Executive Member
Openserve - charging a ton more while there is no competition, and as soon as the competition lays alongside Openserve, they start to reduce rates.

Telkom telkom telkom... **** them...

Vumatel, sort your **** out and deploy nationally already...

MickeyD

RIP
I think this is beyond that settlement. 2017 financial year ended on 31 March 2017. This is competition kicking in and a fight for survival!

Over the 2014, 2015, and 2016 financial years Telkom will be forced to reduce prices of wholesale services implicated in the complaints and used by ISPs to deliver their IP VPN and Internet access services.

“Telkom will also ensure that any price reductions are not reversed in the 2017 and 2018 financial years,” the Competition Commission said.

The price reductions will apply to undersea cable international lines, national high bandwidth transmission lines, access to ADSL lines via the IP Connect service and Diginet leased line access.

Zoopy

Banned
ADSL users can't avoid paying ADSL line/data costs either, yet it constantly gets reduced.
You make a good point, but I suspect it's mainly because of the fact that Telkom has so much competition in the internet connectivity arena that forces them to axe ADSL prices once in a while. If they had their way we'd probably still be paying R600 for capped 384 connections.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
You make a good point, but I suspect it's mainly because of the fact that Telkom has so much competition in the internet connectivity arena that forces them to axe ADSL prices once in a while. If they had their way we'd probably still be paying R600 for capped 384 connections.
True. I can agree with that, think you nailed it.

MickeyD

RIP
Nice.

Cost to maintain copper is increasing, not decreasing. Folks, including us here at MyADSL, complained for many years that Telkom should separate the voice and data costs and even offer naked ADSL.

Well... what you see here is the results. The copper access line costs cannot drop due to regulatory accounting requirements that are required to finally offer naked DSL, i.e. Telkom cannot cross-subsidise that cost with other network costs.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Cost to maintain copper is increasing, not decreasing. Folks, including us here at MyADSL, complained for many years that Telkom should separate the voice and data costs and even offer naked ADSL.

Well... what you see here is the results. The copper access line costs cannot drop due to regulatory accounting requirements that are required to finally offer naked DSL, i.e. Telkom cannot cross-subsidise that cost with other network costs.
Fair enough. Then I'll just wait for fibre so I can save both them and myself costs.