Openserve fibre technicians chased away by Cape Town residents

Daruk

Honorary Master
:erm: And the cops didn't think to accompany them and lock up the individuals causing havoc? If this was riot level stuff then where are the riot cops?
Let me guess, these same individuals are generally law abiding citizens who pay their fair share of rates and demand their fair share of services?

Daruk

Honorary Master
Dear OpenServe, thank you for the fibre in the ground near our place. It's been there for almost 10 years now. Not sure what it's doing, but hey, it's there.

Bernie

Expert Member
Any reason the residents didn't want the technicians there. It comes across as if Openserve did not pay protection money to the leaders of the community or something similar.

leniyl

Challenging your "That is at best a convenient excuse." statement. Why, in poor communities, does fibre technicians get chased away? Why, in poor communities does ambulances chased away and paramedics get robbed and assaulted?

Poor communities are becoming notorious for hooliganism, and as a result, they get serviced at best, last, or even never.

Maybe not all poor areas, but most poor areas are a complete no-go area.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
That's a very simplistic way of looking at it. Article is vague on the circumstances. Could be that they just got caught up in a violent situation.
Yeah shame, like those Santon tannies gets involved in a violent situation once in a while and chase the pool boys out of their neighborhood ne..

It's just cultural backwardness, stop making excuses for their lack of upbringing.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Challenging your "That is at best a convenient excuse." statement. Why, in poor communities, does fibre technicians get chased away? Why, in poor communities does ambulances chased away and paramedics get robbed and assaulted?

Poor communities are becoming notorious for hooliganism, and as a result, they get serviced at best, last, or even never.

Maybe not all poor areas, but most poor areas are a complete no-go area.
Oh dear, I knew your question was leading us to nowhere. Poor people will always get the crappiest service even if they are on their best behaviour. There is a reason Telkom will replace a stolen cable multiple times in an area with corporate and business customers and drag their feet in replacing a cable in a less affluent area even if it was stolen once in 20 years.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Does any rich communities behave like this one?
Yup... happened more than once when they were rolling out in my area. Mainly busy-body older people taking exception to their verge being dug up. They usually call their armed response and get the diggers chased away. The good news is the community at large slammed these people, because it messed up the whole project schedule, they moved on to another area, and only came back to finish that roll-out weeks or in some cases months later when they could re-schedule the dig.

ponder

Honorary Master
Yup... happened more than once when they were rolling out in my area. Mainly busy-body older people taking exception to their verge being dug up. They usually call their armed response and get the diggers chased away.
Dunno how they can be chased away by residents or security. The verge is municipal property, the company has permission to trench, residents and security have no say in the matter.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Dunno how they can be chased away by residents or security. The verge is municipal property, the company has permission to trench, residents and security have no say in the matter.
Exactly, but they're there to dig trenches, not argue with residents and security guards, so they moved on. Don't worry, the residents were put in their place and explained that 1m out of their property line they have absolutely no say of what happens.

If I was in their shoes and a crazy old lady rushed out and started screaming at me for ages, I'd probably also move on 100m down the road and keep working.

ponder

Honorary Master
If I was in their shoes and a crazy old lady rushed out and started screaming at me for ages, I'd probably also move on 100m down the road and keep working.
Might be more satisfying decking her with a shovel like you see in the movies :ROFL: