Openserve free fibre and ADSL upgrades

"D"

You can check the max attainable speed of your line through your router under statistics.
You can also check the Telkom Coverage Map to ascertain what maximum VDSL (download) speeds a particular physical address is currently qualifying for.

If your line is capable, it's case of a simple speed upgrade.
You would also need a VDSL-capable router, unfortunately. (Not all types of ADSL routers are also capable of establishing VDSL connections.)

"D"

Anyone know if an area that is capable of 20Mb ADSL2+ can actually attain VDSL and what would Telkom need to do/change to achieve this.
The steps are to check the coverage map, apply for any qualifying VDSL connection speed category, then connect a VDSL-capable modem to your line.

This recent thread may also be of interest to you:

zizo911

Executive Member
Still no upgrade... Can't get hold of anyone at telkom who knows what it is.

"D"

Anyone know if an area that is capable of 20Mb ADSL2+ can actually attain VDSL
From my understanding, if your line synchronised at 20Mbps on ADSL and were then to switch to 20Mbps on VDSL, you would still notice an increase in upload speeds, (up to) five-fold but probably a little less, all depending on your distance from the xDSL exchange as well as line capabilities, without it costing you anything extra per month!
(Well, except for the cost of upgrading your router, if your current one is not VDSL-capable.)

BTTB

From my understanding, if your line synchronised at 20Mbps on ADSL and were then to switch to 20Mbps on VDSL, you would still notice an increase in upload speeds, (up to) five-fold but probably a little less, all depending on your distance from the xDSL exchange as well as line capabilities, without it costing you anything extra per month!
(Well, except for the cost of upgrading your router, if your current one is not VDSL-capable.)
AFAIK VDSL means speed > 20 Mbps. You can check the max attainable speed of your line through your router under statistics. If your line is capable, it's case of a simple speed upgrade.
I do have a VDSL capable router and have been on 20Mb ADSL2+ before when I tried to do the VDSL conversion, at the time the Telkom lady upgraded me to 20Mb although I requested 40Mb, I thought I was going to VDSL but alas it was merely a jump from 10 to 10Mb ADSL2+.

Then around August last year the line noise was so bad I went back to 10Mb to be on the safe side, although I believe the line noise was more to do with the way Telkom connects the existing ADSL clients at the exchange to their fibre system, than an actual faulty copper line or so I was told.
The sad part is I am about 180 meters away from the Telkom Exchange as you will notice from my good Line Attenuation. So been down this road with Telkom before, it appears they only allow 20Mb ADSL2+ in our block and when you check the ADSL ISP Coverage Checker it give 20Mb on the ISP DSL Coverage Checker. I don't know of any way to overcome these niggles, not going to ask for 20Mb again, so stuck on 10Mb ADSL2+. The CRC errors come and go, they can stay zero for days and then like in the attachment they start up again, as I said I believe this is more to do with the way Telkom connects the existing telephone system to their fibre network. The only positive is that fibre is in our area, but I need my telephone for business, so it makes sense for me to stay with what is actually cheaper and has worked for years. We aren't downloading the internet, 10Mb is fine although would be tempted to do 40Mb VDSL for streaming Netflix etc.
Shot2433.jpgline stats.

Reactions: Yuu

Fox1

Expert Member
I phoned Telkom and they won't even move me to the new Home Premium Uncapped package as I'm an existing customer. I was then told that new customers get the deal cheaper for now but their will be massive increases down the line to makeup for the shortfall.

Caliph

@BTTB if you're 180m from those new Openserve booster exchanges, then Telkom can definitely give you the 40 Mbps. Those exchanges integrate fibre and ADSL connections.

Otherwise, why don't you go fibre on your 10 Mbps speed and take a VoIP line from Telkom? The single user VoIP line is very affordable (built into fibre line rental cost if I'm not mistaken).

BTTB

@BTTB if you're 180m from those new Openserve booster exchanges, then Telkom can definitely give you the 40 Mbps. Those exchanges integrate fibre and ADSL connections.

Otherwise, why don't you go fibre on your 10 Mbps speed and take a VoIP line from Telkom? The single user VoIP line is very affordable (built into fibre line rental cost if I'm not mistaken).
Interesting.
How would I ask the Telkom person on the phone if our exchange is a "booster" variety. This exchange has been here since Noah's Ark.
I suppose the ISP DSL Coverage Checker that gives a maximum of 20Mb here, could be outdated.

Thanks for the information.

Caliph

@BTTB I'm sure you're familiar with the regular blue and green boxes. Here is a picture of the booster variety:

IMG_20200523_222252.jpg

BTTB

I'll check if there are any of those boxes in the neighbourhood.
Our exchange as mentioned is more the Noah's Ark variety, I'm 180 meters from a building similar in size and looks to this one, which looks newer btw.
Telkom-exchange.jpg

Fox1

Expert Member
New story from Telkom agents:

Existing customers do not qualify for the new Home Uncapped Premium packages unless they upgrade to a higher speed and at full price. COVID19 specials are only available to new customers.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
New story from Telkom agents:

Existing customers do not qualify for the new Home Uncapped Premium packages unless they upgrade to a higher speed and at full price. COVID19 specials are only available to new customers.
Africa logic ...

crack2483

So during Friday 22nd our 2mb line started performing at 10mb.
Bit since yesterday its back to 2mb. That was a very short lived free upgrade.

• Sad

"D"

I've got upgraded today.
Had to phone their technical team.
I phoned 10210 then pressed 1 for fault logging then pressed 4 to speak to a consultant.
That is indeed the answer! Got my free ADSL speed upgrade today by trying that method - and the upgrade was instantly visible! (Well, after restarting the router.)

The reasoning as to why it works nowadays is probably this: The (Openserve) xDSL/Fibre network exchange upgrades have by now ALL been completed, countrywide, so if your particular service line sync hasn't been upgraded, the Telkom frontline staff who will be taking your call will simply click a few buttons on their screen to "recreate the port" of your particular ADSL/VDSL/Fibre line, while you are on the call with them, and then your line sync speeds will highly likely be increased during the (manual) router restart/resync/reconnect/reboot ... but NOT during a router reset! (wink wink)

"D"

So during Friday 22nd our 2mb line started performing at 10mb.
Bit since yesterday its back to 2mb. That was a very short lived free upgrade.
I may have stumbled upon a few pointers from a Telkom technician regarding unstable/inconsistent sync following a line speed upgrade.

Older routers could be problematic. The older the router, the more outdated (and unavailable) its latest firmware will be.

Telephone instruments could interfere with line sync speeds, even when plugged into a POTS filter. (Also, the POTS filter could have sustained damage over the years and could now be defective, ineffective, or partially ineffective.)

The "surge arrestors" in the power supply units (oftentimes these are built into the power bricks that are powering the routers) could also have sustained damage over the years and could now be interfering with the line connections entering/exiting these units.

Based on the aforementioned, you could therefore try to (temporarily) connect your line directly to the router and then perform checks to see if speeds improve. (The point is to disconnect phone instruments as well as the POTS filter, and to also bypass the surge arrestor.)

You could also try using a router of a different brand or age.

I am happy to report that a combination of the above has significantly stabilised the download sync speeds on my line. (The upload sync speeds were consistent before the upgrade, as well as afterwards.)