Openserve Huawei HG8240H default username and password

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Openserve installed fibre at our house, which included a Huawei HG8240H GPON Terminal. I wanted to log in for the setup, but the default username and password does not work. I even tried to reset the router, without any success.

Any idea what the default username and password is for the Openserve Huawei HG8240H terminal?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Openserve installed fibre at our house, which included a Huawei HG8240H GPON Terminal. I wanted to log in for the setup, but the default username and password does not work. I even tried to reset the router, without any success.

Any idea what the default username and password is for the Openserve Huawei HG8240H terminal?

I'm pretty sure they are locked down and you are not supposed to access them. Thats what the techie told me. He said the ISPs had moaned about the providing unlocked Huawei HG8240Hs and thus OpenServe had to lock them down.

You connect your fibre routers (in my case a Netgear DGN2200v4) WAN port to port 1 on the Huawei HG8240H and off you go after putting the credentials on your fibre router (and activating it's WAN port if required).

That is it. Don't ask more questions from us, get the MyBB staff onto OpenServes case to explain this loony setup.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
You connect your fibre router (in my case a Netgear DGN2200v4) WAN port to port 1 on the Huawei HG8240H and off you go after putting the credentials on your fibre router (and activating it's WAN port if required).
Maybe my knowledge is lacking here. Do you put your ISP UN and PW in the Netgear, instead of the Huawei GPON terminal.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the feedback – setup completed successfully. A quick guide for newcomers (thanks Supersunbird).

• Do not try to log into the HG8240H GPON Terminal.
  • Connect your wireless router’s WAN port to port 1 on the Huawei HG8240H.
  • Setup a PPPoE connection, using your ISP username and password.
  • This should then allow you to connect to your ISP network via the Openserve fibre router.

chrismine

Not to derail the thread - but is there also and Alacatel-Lucent device and what is's use?
In my area I have seen both on two installs.

Park@82

Honorary Master
Thanks for the feedback – setup completed successfully. A quick guide for newcomers (thanks Supersunbird).

• Do not try to log into the HG8240H GPON Terminal.
  • Connect your wireless router’s WAN port to port 1 on the Huawei HG8240H.
  • Setup a PPPoE connection, using your ISP username and password.
  • This should then allow you to connect to your ISP network via the Openserve fibre router.

I wonder if one can connect a second router (that connects to another ISP) to one of the other ports on the Huawei HG8240H.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I wonder if one can connect a second router (that connects to another ISP) to one of the other ports on the Huawei HG8240H.

Don't think so, but 2 fibre strands are in the cable that is pulled through. Can easily have a second line...

Park@82

Honorary Master
Don't think so, but 2 fibre strands are in the cable that is pulled through. Can easily have a second line...
Telkom connected an IP phone (that connects to the estate's security room) to one of the other ports. Not sure how this all works.

whatwhat

Executive Member

No, ports 2-4 are disabled in the software. The only way to share ISP is to create multiple interfaces on your router (per port) and let each one dial out. But that is crap and introduces latency.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Telkom connected an IP phone (that connects to the estate's security room) to one of the other ports. Not sure how this all works.

That's the phone port. There are 4 LAN ports and 2 phone ports on the device.

Park@82

Honorary Master
That's the phone port. There are 4 LAN ports and 2 phone ports on the device.

No. Its an IP phone plugging in to the LAN2 port. The light indicates that it is active. I just checked and LAN3 does not light up when I plug something into it.

stroebs

Expert Member
The GPON terminals aren't ever supposed to be logged into locally. They use TR-069 to provision the devices across their network, authenticated using a coupling of the device's serial number and circuit number (B14000xxxx).

jeandante619

I have a problem. when my huawei modem tries to link to my router. the port 1 to the wan on my zyxel connects when the FIBRE cable ia unplugged. vut the light and internet (red) dissapears. ive tried everything. even the basic setup telkom advised. it keeps removing the wav and internet light. please assist

MickeyD

RIP
I have a problem. when my huawei modem tries to link to my router. the port 1 to the wan on my zyxel connects when the FIBRE cable ia unplugged. vut the light and internet (red) dissapears. ive tried everything. even the basic setup telkom advised. it keeps removing the wav and internet light. please assist
Power down both devices. Remove the power cable from the Huawei terminal. Wait a few minutes.

WAN cable goes from Huawei terminal to port 1 of your Zyxel router (if there is no specific WAN port).

Power up the Huawei terminal and your Zyxel router. Connect the LAN cable to your Zyxel router and PC.

Last edited:

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
My LOS Light is not lighting up on my Huawei modem and so there is no connection to the fibre line for my router. Is there anything I can do to get the connection or is it something Openserve has to do?