Openserve is focused on fibre - Copper will be decommissioned

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
I can already see how this will go... decommission copper, and proceed to only fibre up say 30% of the areas who used to have ADSL/landline access, leaving the rest in the lurch and forced to find their own fibre infrastructure providers in a hurry.

Swa

Honorary Master
Drop prices by about 40% first. Fibre is still too expensive. It's time to lead again like you did with being an ISP.

Swa

Honorary Master
I wonder if this also means that if the copper lines are stolen in an area, they will be replaced with fibre going forward? :unsure:
They already have a policy if it happens twice they switch over to wireless.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
They already have a policy if it happens twice they switch over to wireless.
We get cable theft every 3 months on average and they always replace it within a couple days. This the main cable to the exchange though. Funny thing is there is Fibre layed nearby

system32

Expert Member
Looks like they are decommissioning copper (POTS).
Telkom just dropped off a "Fixed Wireless Phone" with a letter telling us to insert the sim.
Once powered on, our POTS would auto migrate.

1539856638275.png

We've not had any copper theft in the area - so this was a bit of a surprise.

Anyone have experience with these phones?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Looks like they are decommissioning copper (POTS).
Telkom just dropped off a "Fixed Wireless Phone" with a letter telling us to insert the sim.
Once powered on, our POTS would auto migrate.

View attachment 566847

We've not had any copper theft in the area - so this was a bit of a surprise.

Anyone have experience with these phones?
They're trying to do the same to us. Price is still the same as POTS for a SIM card solution while using your own data...

Nobody Important

Executive Member
They're trying to do the same to us. Price is still the same as POTS for a SIM card solution while using your own data...
How do they cater for you if you have an ADSL subscription? Do they put you on Telkom mobile, but then what about the package you signed up for? So many questions.

system32

Expert Member
What does "while using your own data?" mean?
Is it a VoIP phone?

Q1. Can I put a Cell-C Pre-Paid SIM card in the Telkom AGP-KW135 and pay 66c per minute, with real per sec billing and no monthly subscription (R200/pm)
Q2. Can I port my Telkom POTS landline number to Cell-C?
Telkom has an initial cost which hurts for short < 1m calls.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
How do they cater for you if you have an ADSL subscription? Do they put you on Telkom mobile, but then what about the package you signed up for? So many questions.
Won't move you if you have ADSL. Only for fiber.
What does "while using your own data?" is it a VoIP phone?

Q1. Can I put a Cell-C SIM card in the Telkom AGP-KW135 and pay 66c per minute, with real per sec billing?
Q2. Can I port my POTS number to Cell-C?
Telkom has an initial cost which hurts for short < 1m calls.
You can port your number. I think the device isn't locked to Telkom. I haven't received the new device for switch over yet, they called me a few months ago saying they would move use over, still hasn't happened.

Personally, moved to Switchtel (R49pm, you still pay for port as well) but if you never use your line, some on the forum use freshphone which is R150 port and then no monthly costs).
Main reason my household picked Switchtel is international call costs. If you don't really use the number to dial out, pick freshphone.

Hummercellc

Expert Member
Yeah, Fibre in the year 2200 for us, Telkom are so far behind, they need to be pushed over a cliff by their opposition before doing anything.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Yeah, Fibre in the year 2200 for us, Telkom are so far behind, they need to be pushed over a cliff by their opposition before doing anything.
You will see fiber by ~2025 or be moved to LTE-A/some wireless tech. No way they will keep their copper infrastructure going as the costs are too high. Entire world is moving that way.

ponder

Honorary Master
Now if only I could get fiber in my area... *sigh*
Their fibre coverage is already greater than any other provider in SA. It's gonna take time to cover all areas.

Drop prices by about 40% first. Fibre is still too expensive. It's time to lead again like you did with being an ISP.
Are you on a/v dsl? Their fibre prices are the same as their copper product prices. Yes it could be lower imho.

Swa

Honorary Master
Are you on a/v dsl? Their fibre prices are the same as their copper product prices. Yes it could be lower imho.
Not quite. You can't get a fibre line directly from Telkom and have to take it as part of an isp offering, usually on contract. So no direct comparison. I do see some like Cybersmart offering it for R555 which is less than Telkom's own dsl isp offering so there's some progress in this regard.

ponder

Honorary Master
Not quite. You can't get a fibre line directly from Telkom and have to take it as part of an isp offering, usually on contract. So no direct comparison. I do see some like Cybersmart offering it for R555 which is less than Telkom's own dsl isp offering so there's some progress in this regard.
Ok I'm on openserve fibre, took it as part of telkom package deal which is great value for money. Fibre package costs exactly the same as dsl package, no contract, month to month.

Swa

Honorary Master
Ok I'm on openserve fibre, took it as part of telkom package deal which is great value for money. Fibre package costs exactly the same as dsl package, no contract, month to month.
So what are the breakdown cost? Fibre from Cybersmart is cheaper but adsl from other providers including the pots is usually more expensive than the R606 Telkom charges. You can't take a bundled offer from Telkom that can undercut all other providers and claim it costs the same. The pricing structures are completely different.