Openserve launches “Naked ADSL”

pouroverguy

Expert Member
For those of us who cannot get Fibre this is awesome news. Won't sneeze at the extra R210 in my pocket. Now to fight to get it cancelled.

I pay for my parents ADSL, but the landline fee means that a 2mbps line with 100GB of data has been my budget. They've been suffering a lot, especially during this lockdown period. The savings on the phone line mean I can finally get them a usable speed.

j4ck455

Executive Member
In addition to real copper cable theft, Telkom technicians have been ripping out copper and telling customers that it was stolen and will not be replaced, to try and force those customers to take Telkom LTE contracts.

I'm guessing that Telkom has discovered that customers don't like having their arms twisted and have gone with whatever competitor service is available in their area.

“This will certainly cater for the increased connectivity and consumption needs by providing an affordable and reliable service to our customers. This should also further support and stimulate online business and the economy at large,” stated Beukes.

So now Telkom/OpenServe decides to provide an affordable and reliable copper line for the 50 odd ADSL customers that still exist across the country, maybe offer them LTE contracts as well just in case the technicians still decide to "steal the copper".

The Door

Honorary Master
ADSL to Telkom:

images.jpeg

This would have been appropriate right about the time MyADSL launched in 2003.

If Telkom want to know why it's dying, right here is the reason. Missed opportunities and mismanagement.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Isn't it more like 15 to 20 years too late? I read about unbundling of the local loop for the first time in 2001.
ADSL only really started here in 2002, so it could be 2005ish?

Fox1

Executive Member
@rpm Telkom seems to be suddenly doing a lot in the ADSL space. Do you have any idea if Telkom will start repairing broken copper cables to win back old customers?

ThatOtherGuy

Too late for Telkom and too late for most people as well. Wanted to get ADSL for my patents years ago, but they didn't want to let go of their prepaid line. Now they have this wireless Telkom phone and fibre is on the cards after lockdown.

Sl8er

Executive Member
Living in an area where fiber is a pipe dream and LTE coverage is nonexistent, this is most welcome!

It would be interesting to see who this will actually serve, though.
Ie.
How many fiber, LTE and ADSL users are out there?
Judging by some comments here, it would seem almost everyone in the country is on fiber or LTE.
I'm going to hazard a guess and say there are probably still more ADSL users than fiber and LTE combined...?

So to everyone "complaining" about this:
* Cartman *
Calm-down-calm-down-you-sons-of-bitches!
:)

Naked ADSL...I'll take it!!
(I just hope they don't fck us with increased ADSL fees now [or something], rendering this whole exercise pointless...I mean...this is "telkom" after all :cautious: )

elf_lord_ZC5

Honorary Master
Living in an area where fiber is a pipe drea m and LTE coverage is nonexistent, this is most welcome!

It would be interesting to see who this will actually serve, though.
Ie.
How many fiber, LTE and ADSL users are out there?
Judging by the comments here, it would seem almost everyone in the country is on fiber or LTE.
I'm going to hazard a guess and say there are probably still more ADSL users than fiber and LTE combined...?

So to everyone "complaining" about this:
* Cartman *
Calm-down-calm-down-you-sons-of-bitches!
:)

Naked ADSL...I'll take it!!
(I just hope they don't fck us with increased ADSL fees now [or something], rendering this whole exercise pointless...I mean...this is "telkom" after all :cautious: )

And you telling us to calm down :laugh:

Nether

Expert Member
I know a lot are saying adsl is dead, but I'm sitting with a very congested wisp here in a small town, and I can get dsl, this is great news for me.

I know though I'm in the minority, but reality does make it useful where we can't get fixed lte or fiber.

Cactus

Expert Member
Lol Telkom gives a new meaning to “flogging a dead horse”.I hope they also close their doors with all the other businesses with outdated business models.
Hold on there cowboy. Closing Telkom will leave most of PTA without Fibre as Openserve has the biggest Fibre network in PTA by a far stretch.