Openserve launches 500Mbps fibre service

mrlgm007

Still no fiber in my street only for the selected cherry picked places....

CommonSense

1279 is much cheaper than what I was expecting

It is actually quite expensive if you consider that Vumatel (which is considered expensive) is giving 1Gig/200Mbps for R1447. That is just a R168 difference for double the download capacity and a bit less upload.

feo

Honorary Master
I would hope that next bump up, they actually start introducing symmetric speeds.

Or at least give the option to choose a symmetric package.

Speedster

Honorary Master
I would hope that next bump up, they actually start introducing symmetric speeds.

Or at least give the option to choose a symmetric package.
For interest sake, what would you use all that upload bandwidth for?

feo

Honorary Master
For interest sake, what would you use all that upload bandwidth for?

If you're using cloud services for pretty much anything, upload speed is key. Using things like Backblaze to backup your entire PC or iCloud to backup your iDevice. Offsite NAS backups can also get into the multi 100 TB range. Hosting things from home is also another common use case. If you run a Wireguard VPN and need quick access to your local files.

Whilst it's not common to consistently max out upload speed, it's nice to know it's there for when you need it.

Ghostfibre

Company Rep
Awesome news, should have this rolling out soon. Hopefully this causes other FNO's to start looking at increasing speeds. Would be nice to see Metrofibre ditch the 300/300 (since 200/200 exists) and give 500/500 a try.

• Love
Reactions: Yuu

ghostRgg

Expert Member
Soon my gigabit LAN cable isn't going to cut it anymore.
Hence the push to 2.5Gbps systems and switches. Pitty it is kak expensive and that we haven't really had a great wallet-friendly router offering yet.

Reactions: Yuu

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
If you're using cloud services for pretty much anything, upload speed is key. Using things like Backblaze to backup your entire PC or iCloud to backup your iDevice. Offsite NAS backups can also get into the multi 100 TB range. Hosting things from home is also another common use case. If you run a Wireguard VPN and need quick access to your local files.

Whilst it's not common to consistently max out upload speed, it's nice to know it's there for when you need it.
That's admittedly a rather niche use case that wouldn't apply to 99.5% of their customer base.

There's probably a reason why Vumatel offers 1000/500, at something like R1,000 more than their 1000/200...