Openserve launches 500Mbps fibre service

jambai

Expert Member
Does that mean the fibre lines / cables currently installed by openserve can handle the increased speed and just a network change . How fast can the current fibre lines to your house go ?

Petec

Expert Member
LeSigh! These my fibre pipe is bigger than yours games, need to stop.
Push heavy QOS on 10, 25, 50 meg lines, and you will sell way more.

Kyoto

Does that mean the fibre lines / cables currently installed by openserve can handle the increased speed and just a network change . How fast can the current fibre lines to your house go ?
Fibre can currently carry hundreds gb/s and does for core network and long haul applications. Currently deployed access technology supports AE or Gpon, but both of these can be upgraded to 10GE or various 10Gpon solutions. Work is currently happening on even faster pon technologies such as 25Gpon or 50Gpon. All this means that the current fibre plant is useable for years to come, (as long as its built correctly)

Skankhunt

Expert Member
I do not need this.
I do not need this.
I do not need this.
I do not need this.
I do not need this.
I do not need this.
I do not need this.
:ROFL:

I upgraded last night just for the novelty.. Will go back to a regular speed again (100mbps) once that wears off.
But good for the sake of flexing speed tests. :ROFL:

I mean, it feels unreal considering a year ago I would sit here with some obscure LTE product (and that was literally our only real option, no ADSL, no WISP, pre-uncapped MTN LTE-A) that would average at like 1mbps on a good day.

Last edited:

dualmeister

Honorary Master
I upgraded last night just for the novelty.. Will go back to a regular speed again once that wears off.
But good for the sake of flexing speed tests. :ROFL:

I mean, it feels unreal considering a year ago I would sit here with some obscure LTE product (and that was literally our only real option, no ADSL, no WISP, pre-uncapped MTN LTE-A) that would average at like 1mbps on a good day.
I'm making up for all those years that I was stuck on a 4Mbps ADSL line.

Thor

Honorary Master
I am paying that for 100Mbps on Vuma

I reallly hope Vuma drops their pricing and also offer this, I 'd love 1Gbps though, but i'll take 500Mbps , really wish the upload was 500Mbps as well.

I upload a lot (hosting servers & 4K surveillance cameras uploading to the cloud)

Upload is going to become a big issue in SA, as the demand for smart cameras & remote viewing and recording picks up.