Openserve launches free fibre and ADSL speed upgrades

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Awesome!

Oh wait our lines went down weeks back and they refused to replace cable. Ended up going with Rain. Crap internet is better than no internet. Especially during lock down

VegOtter

So I'm confused. 40mb will be upgraded to 100mb, right... I get that. But will the previous 40mb people continue to pay the same amount, yet getting 100mb speed while people already on 100mb will stay as is, but will be paying more than what the 40mb people will be paying.

Or am I missing something, because there will be a mass downgrade then if thats the case.

VegOtter

So I'm confused. 40mb will be upgraded to 100mb, right... I get that. But will the previous 40mb people continue to pay the same amount, yet getting 100mb speed while people already on 100mb will stay as is, but will be paying more than what the 40mb people will be paying.

Or am I missing something, because there will be a mass downgrade then if thats the case.
I answered my own question by reading the actual article instead of skim reading. It is a temporary upgrade, meaning yeah the 40mb people will be scoring for a while.

clickingbuttons

Same thing happeneed with Vumatel.

The 1gbit customers didn't get anything but the same bill every month.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Lol these upgrades are a joke for higher end users.

Trying to cash in on the publicity of the other providers but too late to the party and not much benefit, unless you're on a lower package...
But the higher end people already have more than enough to go around?

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
But the higher end people already have more than enough to go around?
Sue, but if I were on a 100/200 Openserve package I'd feel hard done by paying the full price, while those on 40 Mbps are paying less. Same goes for everyone on 10+ Mbps ADSL.

Now I know that the short answer would be to downgrade, but that often requires a month's notice (unlike upgrades which are done immediately).

And even if you do get to downgrade, we're not sure what the exception clauses are. Whether you will be allowed to downgrade and get the higher speed...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Why? Yes IP Connect went down, but Openserve line fees went up. Also ISP's don't get their bandwidth for free.
RAW line fees went up yes but this is not applicable here though just the IP Connect and the reduction was significant. The real impact will be 20>40 and 40>100. Those users could eat up quite a bit of traffic. That said for the upgrades that happened with other providers already the traffic increase levels aren't as high as expected actually. Was thinking 100gigabytes a second speed increases on peering points like on NAP Africa but honestly minimal changes once the speed upgrades were done.

• Wow
Reactions: Yuu

Convex

Got confirmation from Axxess, they will be increasing their adsl lines. 4 to 10 meg for me :D

• Love
Reactions: Yuu

tRoN

Executive Member
Any idea if Vox is on board to upgrade line speeds?

src926

Got my ADSL upgrade. Thanks Openserve! Here's hoping it becomes permanent :)

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Cool Ideas will offer the OpenServe upgraded speeds: