Openserve on 1Gbps fibre - We'll launch it if we launch it

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
1Gbps fibre in South Africa — two major networks are lagging behind

While other major fibre networks in South Africa reach speeds of up to 1Gbps, MetroFibre and Openserve only offer download speeds of up to 500Mbps and 300Mbps, respectively.

Afrihost sells Vumatel's, Frogfoot's, and Octotel's 1Gbps services, and their prices are not far off MetroFibre and Openserve's high-speed packages.

charlieharper

Expert Member
A 1Gbps fibre connection would eliminate any capacity issues in bandwidth-intensive households, provided the home network is geared to use a link this fast.
Damn, how many people are in that household, 100? :ROFL:
Would be nice though..

I tested Openserve's 500mbps line a few months ago for a month - if only I'd have a better use case for it, cause it didn't have a major impact on me day to day (work from home, developer, occasional Zoom, docker, etc) vs what my 100mbps line, so I went back to 100mbps.

But sure, if I was a serious gamer or download hog, I bet it's a huge difference.

richjdavies

Expert Member
@Jan what is with the constant use of BT (UK) Openserve on any article about South Africa's Openserve!

Skerminkel

Expert Member
The constraint in a normal household is mostly the wifi router(s). We have 50 Mbps for a household that regularly watch streaming on four devices at the same time. 20 was actually enough, but as usual I got caught up in one of Afrihost's "free" upgrades.

furpile

Expert Member
@Jan no mention of Vodacom fibre? They are always left out of articles like this. Their highest package is only 200 Mbps and their pricing is not great either (R1200 for 200/200).

Cactus

Expert Member
There's not enough local servers for international services in the country to warrant needing a 1Gbps line on a consumer level
That's not true at all. I love me some 1Gbps peer to peer :cool: Nothing better than acquiring the latest content @ 110MB/s

Cactus

Expert Member
I'm still waiting for Telkom to offer 500Mbps although to be perfectly honest even 200Mbps is mostly overkill for my requirements. I guess the big question though is why I am on Telkom.
They do already? For a while now.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
There's not enough local servers for international services in the country to warrant needing a 1Gbps line on a consumer level
You should be able to hit that on Steam, anything that is a torrent, and there are local servers where you can also get that in Azure/AWS (e.g. Visual studio download is max speed). If your ISP has a Netflix cache, you might also be able to hit it if downloading for offline playback.

The question there is whether it's worth the cost to you, for us we dropped back to 100Mbps once the double line speed promo ended.

Here in Austria I do a 250/50Mbps line since 40 EUR is fine vs the around 30 EUR 100/30Mbps due to certain specials meaning the 40 was 32 vs 28 EUR a month over two years and the price difference there meant it was worth it for me. If it was 50 I would not have gotten 250 probably, because currently not worth it to me (50 is 500/50Mbps).

Reactions: Yuu

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Most households do not need 1Gbps.
Even 500 Mbps is more that sufficient for a large family.
Most households don't need more than 20Mbps since a Netflix stream while other person is gaming is enough.

It's more a question of want, and that's a question of price.

Most people buy at a price range, not a speed.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
Most households don't need more than 20Mbps since a Netflix stream while other person is gaming is enough.

It's more a question of want, and that's a question of price.

Most people buy at a price range, not a speed.
Yep, I really could not justify getting anything more than 35Mbps. With only 2 people in the house and we do not download the internet, I don't see why we would need anything more than 35Mbps. Basic streaming (Netflix and Youtube), browsing and gaming.

Downloading content makes no sense...and save them for what reason? Use up hard drive space? lol...Streaming is the way to go. Watch what you want, when you want.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Yep, I really could not justify getting anything more than 35Mbps. With only 2 people in the house and we do not download the internet, I don't see why we would need anything more than 35Mbps. Basic streaming (Netflix and Youtube), browsing and gaming.

Downloading content makes no sense...and save them for what reason? Use up hard drive space? lol...Streaming is the way to go. Watch what you want, when you want.
Download for e.g. Road trip, commute, plane.

cavedog

Honorary Master

There is more than you might think. When you start counting what is local and what is international you might find it harder to fill a list of international sources than local.

Reactions: Yuu