Openserve the ultimate fibre provider in South Africa soon?

Thor

Honorary Master
Uhm no... fibre has become cheap because of competitors to Openserve. Openserve is one of the highest priced providers out there.
SADV and DFA is.

Openserve is the cheapest of the lot (excluding niche small scale neighborhood specific guys.)

blowdart18

I highly doubt that Telkom will be the ultimate provider seeing that there is so much competition at the moment.

Some might think the current CEO, Sipho is going a bit crazy but he is trying to make Telkom relevant in a current society by capitalizing on property, making the most of their mobile base, and making smart business decisions that are relevant to the growth of the company.

The results say it all:

1) 42.4% decrease in the investment of fibre roll out in SA
2) 29.8% increase in investment of mobile technology -increasing mobile sites from 3974 to 5116, and LTE sites from 2333 to 3438
3) Interesting to note as well is their new property portfolio GYRO - 106.9% increase - turning all those properties into retail and business space.

Reactions: Yuu

DYreX146

That R399 has a 100GB FUP or something crazy, ain't it?

I am currently looking to get 10mbps for our household. What is wrong with 10? It is the cheapest option.
I mean I guess there's nothing wrong with it but I personally couldn't survive on anything less than 40Mbps lol. Also over here there's hardly any fibre so you can still get ADSL even if you have fibre in your area, so at that speed I would just stick with ADSL but I think it's different everywhere else.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Well, right now I don't see any other fibre provider extending their infrastructure as fast as Openserve. They already trenching in Kimberley, Soon Upington, Kuruman, Sishen etc. I don't care about politic. DSL is dying and fibre needs to expand. Openserve is leading. The rest can ****off

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
SADV and DFA is.

Openserve is the cheapest of the lot (excluding niche small scale neighborhood specific guys.)
Definitely not the cheapest of the lot. Just massive competition at the low end of the market with the old ADSL leaders desperate to retain clients moving over to fibre, and hoping to up-sell these clients at a later stage. Most of them are selling well below the actual cost (once you factor IPC and line rental, cost to live etc). They're hedging these losses against the larger users and the idea that Openserve will drop IPC again soon.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
LoL I think daddy is working for Telkom, oh wait, Openserv.

Im happy with Vumatel thank you

SoldierMan

Openserve now have uncapped unthrottled options to choose from.

I have MWEB's 10Mbps deal and don't need a speed any faster for what I do. R399 for fibre is cheaper than what I was paying for ADSL at 4Mbps. I'm more than happy.

The fact that I have been with MWEB and have had the same e-mail address for 15 years or so also played a part. I don't know about other providers but their customer/technical service is tops. I know most here wouldn't need it, I don't either, but at least they are available when needed.

Also, Openserve is the only fibre provider currently in my area so there is that :p Octotel is currently laying cables though in our area.

Last edited:

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Openserve now have uncapped unthrottled options to choose from.

I have MWEB's 10Mbps deal and don't need a speed any faster for what I do. R399 for fibre is cheaper than what I was paying for ADSL at 4Mbps. I'm more than happy.

The fact that I have been with MWEB and have had the same e-mail address for 1 years or so also played a part. I don't know about other providers but their customer/technical service is tops. I know most here wouldn't need it, I don't either, but at least they are available when needed.

Also, Openserve is the only fibre provider currently in my area so there is that :p Octotel is currently laying cables though in our area.
Remember, it's not Openserve who impose FUPs, it's the ISP. IPC costs dictate whether an ISP imposes any usage restrictions.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Definitely not the cheapest of the lot. Just massive competition at the low end of the market with the old ADSL leaders desperate to retain clients moving over to fibre, and hoping to up-sell these clients at a later stage. Most of them are selling well below the actual cost (once you factor IPC and line rental, cost to live etc). They're hedging these losses against the larger users and the idea that Openserve will drop IPC again soon.
Indeed but that model is sustainable isn't it? If it wasn't Mweb would not have been known for the ISP that changed the minds of millions about uncapped and peering.

You get your low en users to subsidize your high end users because at the end of the day it's still a FTTH product. You can expect to have insanely high prices because IPC is expensive. Upsell those that use the net just for internet banking and facebook and the heavy users deal with them when and if it becomes a problem.

bixt

This is obviously a troll thread.

Unless the OP has been living in Timbuktu for the last 2 decades, it boggles the mind that Openserve is "the ultimate". That, or the OP is a Telkom shill.