Openserve's fibre price cuts - What to expect from ISPs

justplain

Expert Member
I dont necessarily buy the reasoning that faster speeds mean the customers use more data thus potentially increasing the price to the consumer?
I'm on a 30/30 package. Suddenly getting 50/50 or faster isnt going to change my usage habits.
I already watch netflix, youtube etc, I'm not suddenly going to be watching twice as much.....thus consuming more data than i usually do.
My data use wont change, only the speed at which it can be delivered.

HartsockZA

Yea I don't buy it for one second just another way to say "we need to do price increases because people gonna eat more internet" what a load of BS
I dont necessarily buy the reasoning that faster speeds mean the customers use more data thus potentially increasing the price to the consumer?
I'm on a 30/30 package. Suddenly getting 50/50 or faster isnt going to change my usage habits.
I already watch netflix, youtube etc, I'm not suddenly going to be watching twice as much.....thus consuming more data than i usually do.

Dark Agent

Expert Member
I agree and disagree.
Streaming will change from Full HD to 4k video.
When I changed from 50Mbps to 200Mbps I saw myself using double the bandwidth.
In terms of habits, nothing changed.

Should we see a price reduction. Yes. The discounts should be pass down to us.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
Yes but you have the potential to use more bandwidth. An ISP is a business and they need to consider the risks, right now they are all trying to figure out what additional risk that carries.
If an ISP has a larger risk appetite then they might stay at the same price, if they do and succeed then the rest of the ISP's will have no choice to but follow suit.

justplain

Expert Member
Yes but you have the potential to use more bandwidth. An ISP is a business and they need to consider the risks, right now they are all trying to figure out what additional risk that carries.
If an ISP has a larger risk appetite then they might stay at the same price, if they do and succeed then the rest of the ISP's will have no choice to but follow suit.

Ok, I can see that.
I'm a random case though. I dont have a 4k TV or 4k monitor etc. There'd be no change in data for streaming for example. Perhaps for others? Though I'd wager anyone on an existing 20mb line or faster would already be getting 4k for most of their streaming anyway....with a 4k device of course.
You could give me a 100mb line and nothing would really change, only the speed of any downloads..

RedViking

Nord of the South
The only bad news is , I am stuck with Vodacom Fibre. The good news is I have access to Fibre.

Neo_X

Expert Member
i will happily stay at current speed for half the price (200/100 openserve with afrihost).
since it is the top level package, i assume afrihost is facing quite the conundrum lol

krycor

Honorary Master
I’d be happy with staying at my price tier. Speed increase beyond 100mbps is great but limited impact on life(we don’t do 4k) though happy with upgrade for eg game downloads where this has a direct impact as you go.. lemme try this.. wait a bit which is at a reasonable tome but some big games do take long. Thankfully Xbox does do the partial load and play.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Every time Openserve/Telkom reduce prices or increase bandwidth the ISPs come up with some reasoning why they cannot relay the change to their clients. In the end they do it anyway. Every time.

agentrfr

Expert Member
TLDR:

ISPs: We're going to get some discount, but we dont think we'll pass it on to the customer lul

WalkWithMe

Every time Openserve/Telkom reduce prices or increase bandwidth the ISPs come up with some reasoning why they cannot relay the change to their clients. In the end they do it anyway. Every time.

TLDR:

ISPs: We're going to get some discount, but we dont think we'll pass it on to the customer lul
This is not the full picture. The price is not being reduced on the same product line. They are changing pricing but also the line sizes. This is consumer to network charge. Network to Provider costs also exists. If the increase of size of the product like line speed, will increase the cost on the network to provider, therefore potentially increasing the cost.

It doesn't factor in the factor ISP's would need more international bandwidth too.

Think of it like this. If the bottle maker for a Coke said, we are increasing the min bottle size from 500ml to 2l, and we will supply the new bottle cheaper. Coke now have to fill the bottle with a lot more product to fill the bottle. You may say I only want 500ml and only drink 500ml is irrelevant, you have the potential to use the full 2l.

This is the case here, either ISP's are forced to throttle their networks or increases capacity which costs them more, the reality there is no way the ISP's can lower the cost.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
This is not the full picture. The price is not being reduced on the same product line. They are changing pricing but also the line sizes. This is consumer to network charge. Network to Provider costs also exists. If the increase of size of the product like line speed, will increase the cost on the network to provider, therefore potentially increasing the cost.

It doesn't factor in the factor ISP's would need more international bandwidth too.

Think of it like this. If the bottle maker for a Coke said, we are increasing the min bottle size from 500ml to 2l, and we will supply the new bottle cheaper. Coke now have to fill the bottle with a lot more product to fill the bottle. You may say I only want 500ml and only drink 500ml is irrelevant, you have the potential to use the full 2l.

This is the case here, either ISP's are forced to throttle their networks or increases capacity which costs them more, the reality there is no way the ISP's can lower the cost.
Bandwidth is cheap these days. It's the line rentals that is the ripoff.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master

Something wrong with your coke analogy...