OpenView HD free satellite TV for SA: channel genres and PVR plans

McGuywer

Executive Member
I wonder when the people complaining about lack of sports will come...

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Based on the research, Platco’s priorities for OpenView HD’s channels were as follows:
1.Local news;
2.Education;
3.International news;
4.Local dramas and soaps;
5.Movies;
6.Children’s programs;
7.Reality;
8.Comedy;
9.Music;
10.Gospel;
11.Lifestyle;
12.International dramas, series and soaps;
13.and others.
Sounds to me like they have that covered.

avr-rulez

Expert Member
Well looking at the test transmission last night - 1 x HD channel was open - showing a Travel program about Hiroshima. Good quality pics - S2 transmission. Others open with Aljazeera in SD etc - so far nothing to report.

Totempole

Expert Member
I've gotta say, I'm skeptical. They've also not been clear on decoder and installation costs.
The rough figure is R1500 for the decoder and installation. Does this include the dish, or is
a dish one of the prerequisites?

If they expect everyone who is interested in this service to already have a dish installed,
this project has failed before it started.

RazedInBlack

RazedInBlack
My question is can you use your existing dish and just connect the decoder?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Not so if you are already a TopTV subscriber as they use the same sattelite
Oh ok. So my sister ... she has Top Tv already. Can she then for example just buy the OpenView decoder and then split the connection and jump between the two services?

Fox1

Expert Member
Oh ok. So my sister ... she has Top Tv already. Can she then for example just buy the OpenView decoder and then split the connection and jump between the two services?
I think she made need an LNB change to pick up HD.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Based on the research, Platco’s priorities for OpenView HD’s channels were as follows:
1.Local news;
2.Education;
3.International news;
4.Local dramas and soaps;
5.Movies;
6.Children’s programs;
7.Reality;
8.Comedy;
9.Music;
10.Gospel;
11.Lifestyle;
12.International dramas, series and soaps;
13.and others.
Either sport falls into reality or other or sport is not seen as a priority to OVHD.

rrcatto

Either sport falls into reality or other or sport is not seen as a priority to OVHD.
Sport can kiss my arse. If you want sport, go pay for it. This thing is for intelligent people.

MDE

Expert Member
I think she made need an LNB change to pick up HD.
Why...? You can pick the DSTV HD signal on a single LNB. Can't imagine there's much difference between them?

siraman

Expert Member
I've gotta say, I'm skeptical. They've also not been clear on decoder and installation costs.
Yeah,you can't help but be skeptical in light of....

SouthTel, a satellite pay-TV hopeful that promised to launch a push-based video-on-demand (VOD) service in South Africa by “early 2012”, has not launched and is not commenting on why.

Toward the end of June 2011, SouthTel told MyBroadband that they were trialling the service and planned to launch a commercial service in a month or two from then.

In September 2011, SouthTel CEO Oscar Dube said that it was delaying its commercial launch to Q4 2011 to “make sure [their] product is functioning 100%”.
Source:http://mybroadband.co.za/news/broadcasting/47046-southtel-mum-on-failure-to-launch.html

Quantum Theory

Executive Member
They use different polarities, so no... Twin LNB needed. If you replace Top TV with OVHD, you can keep using the single LNB.

digitalp

How do you expect a free-to-air service to have the kind of sports on DSTV? If you want sport, stay with DSTV.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
might see one or two more e tv channels did they have any extra channels during the digital trial?

Knersus

1. Sport
2. Local news;
3. Education;
4. International news;
5. Local dramas and soaps;
6. Movies;
7. Children’s programs;
8. Reality;
9. Comedy;
10. Music;
11. Gospel;
12. Lifestyle;
13. International dramas, series and soaps;
14. and others.
There... I fixed it for you. If you want a successful satellite package that is....

PS - No idea how their "RESEARCH" did not get sport on that list...