bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
However, said Boorman, as new services come to the market they think that there are some important issues for the various stakeholders to look at.

These issues include the use of spectrum by unlicensed entities, as well as the potential impact on tax revenue and employment,” said Boorman.
Typical Vodacom response hinting at things to come… :rolleyes:

Spontaneous Interruption

So wait until there's signs of this eating into their revenue ...and then react? Which will most likely lead to higher per MB charges for VoIP traffic or something similar. And then later release their own VoIP service with per MB costs slightly cheaper than when you use other VoIP services on the VC network.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
I seem to recall that they (VC specifically) were more militant about charging extra for VOIP previously. I suspect they realise resistance is futile, therefore the much toned down response this time.

torgo

Called the USA on hangouts. Not bad for a free voice call to land line.

It's inevitable, it makes no sense for operators to fight it. If video, specifically day-to-day television is moving in that direction, there's no reason why voice won't over time, at least in part. Rather invest in proper infrastructure and good service.

"If you book them, they will come."

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Is that good or bad? On your current data package?
I used to buy the 2+1gig bundle from Telkom Mobile, but then I realised I almost always lose around a gig at the end of the following month since I have wifi at home and work. Now I buy ad-hoc bundles.

I don't think I ever spend more than around 2 minutes on a phone call, that's around 6megs. I make around 5 calls a day, so that's 6megs x 5 which would give me 30megs a day, so its not too bad! It would be even better if I only made calls when I'm at home because then it would be completely free :)

The only challenge is that most people I know use Whatsapp :(

battletoad

Expert Member
Never mind.

Had my wife download the apk and called her. The call lasted 0:57 and it consumed around 3MB

That's quite a lot for voice only. Was it video too? Or if not, was the audio quality superb?

Lets do some maths for voice only:
1. Assume audio rate is 64kb/s (quite high, but lets be liberal for worst case scenario)
2. So thats 8KB/s, resulting in 480KB after 1 minute.
3. Assuming R2/MB, that would be about R1/min for a call.

Now:
1. You can get away with a bitrate of 32-40kb/s for voice only, resulting in a saving of 25c-50c from the R1/min in (3) above.

2. In (2) above, the 480KB assumes a constant bitrate. But, after a hangouts test yesterday, I noticed that the app detects silence, so it arguably sends nothing in this case. So unless you're a chatterbox, this can also result in savings. May be complicated by the fact that its duplex (x kb/s both ways), so we can discard this for now.

3. (3) above assumes R2/MB. Bundles can greatly reduce the price of a call per minute. Assuming CellC's R15/100meg, (3) above can be reduced to 7,5c/min.

Moral of the story: just like IMs killed off the SMS, these services can kill off voice.

DXL

Expert Member
(R0.76) per minute - this is not cheap + the data cost

Cell-C offers 50c per minute per second billing any network anytime.

This is the very reason these Applications DIE in South Africa and everyone tries to Figure out what went wrong.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
That's quite a lot for voice only. Was it video too? Or if not, was the audio quality superb?

Lets do some maths for voice only:
1. Assume audio rate is 64kb/s (quite high, but lets be liberal for worst case scenario)
2. So thats 8KB/s, resulting in 480KB after 1 minute.
3. Assuming R2/MB, that would be about R1/min for a call.

Now:
1. You can get away with a bitrate of 32-40kb/s for voice only, resulting in a saving of 25c-50c from the R1/min in (3) above.

2. In (2) above, the 480KB assumes a constant bitrate. But, after a hangouts test yesterday, I noticed that the app detects silence, so it arguably sends nothing in this case. So unless you're a chatterbox, this can also result in savings. May be complicated by the fact that its duplex (x kb/s both ways), so we can discard this for now.

3. (3) above assumes R2/MB. Bundles can greatly reduce the price of a call per minute. Assuming CellC's R15/100meg, (3) above can be reduced to 7,5c/min.

Moral of the story: just like IMs killed off the SMS, these services can kill off voice.
I also think I've messed up somehow. I'll redo my test a little later.

I did a balance check before and after the call. It could be that something was concurrently connected and up/downloading in the background.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Just tested it. Was on the phone for about 6-7 minutes and used 3.39MB of data. The call quality was amazing even when the person on the other end is sick. Much better than network calls.

Telkom was asked for comment, but the company did not respond by the time of publication.

priceless
Maseko probably too busy changing number plates :p

Last edited:

battletoad

Expert Member
I also think I've messed up somehow. I'll redo my test a little later.

I did a balance check before and after the call. It could be that something was concurrently connected and up/downloading in the background.

No offence meant by my post hey. I was going to do a little calculation in any case to check its worth.

Just tested it. Was on the phone for about 6-7 minutes and used 3.39MB of data. The call quality was amazing even when the person on the other end is sick. Much better than network calls.

Slightly more than my 480KB/min number earlier. Sounds like its definitely above wideband, perhaps even full band. Will test with the wife in a bit once she's done with her call and report back.

Was this over wifi or cell networks?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I didn't see any free voice calls on Hangouts?

Only in the US and Canada?

battletoad

Expert Member
I didn't see any free voice calls on Hangouts?

Only in the US and Canada?

Yep. For us its $0,07c (76c depending on exchange rate) to mobile, and $0,03c iirc for landlines. Requires one to load credits. Note that this rate does not include the data needed for the call.

Otherwise, hangouts to hangouts calls are free, subject to data of course.