[Opinion] Newlands Stadium should be sold and the funds distributed to clubs

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
The fans who prefer Newlands tend to be sentimental. There isn't really anything which gives a better spectator experience at Newlands than at Cape Town Stadium.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The fans who prefer Newlands tend to be sentimental. There isn't really anything which gives a better spectator experience at Newlands than at Cape Town Stadium.

That is pretty obvious, like any other supporter holding onto their home ground. The experience aspect however has nothing to do with WPRU’s decision. There is a clear campaign against Newlands, people seeming to know what is going on inside the WPRU, opting again and again that Newlands Stadium is an apartheid relic only worth to be tear down.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
SARU has confirmed that it is bidding for the 2023 RWC. Do you think that World Rugby will allow a semi-final at Newlands or will it go to Cape Town Stadium?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
SARU has confirmed that it is bidding for the 2023 RWC. Do you think that World Rugby will allow a semi-final at Newlands or will it go to Cape Town Stadium?

It will go to Newlands under the current conditions in my opinion. 7 years away, Cape Town Stadium has to make bookings to survive.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master

"Allow"?

I'm pretty sure it would be up to SARU and WPRFU to decide that internally, as either is more than adequate.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
It will go to Newlands under the current conditions in my opinion. 7 years away, Cape Town Stadium has to make bookings to survive.

Fences, wooden benches and standing room, I don't see a semi-final being held at Newlands.

"Allow"?

I'm pretty sure it would be up to SARU and WPRFU to decide that internally, as either is more than adequate.

World Rugby will have a big say in venue selection. If Cape Town Stadium isn't in the bid, SARU would be mad.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Fences, wooden benches and standing room, I don't see a semi-final being held at Newlands.

World Rugby will have a big say in venue selection. If Cape Town Stadium isn't in the bid, SARU would be mad.

So you made a post only to be in disagreement with Newlands. You don't know what the world thinks, Cape Town Stadium's water seepage problem had been a disappointment on various occasions, yet it is ignored.

Just one thing to remember:

WPRU = Newlands Stadium
CoCT = Cape Town Stadium

IRB currently ranks both as world-class stadiums. The IRB only and last supported bid to play an international rugby game at Cape Town Stadium was back in 2011, this was overwritten by the SARU constitution when WPRU opted to play the games at Newlands Stadium. The CoCT had been standing strong against WPRU ever since due to Cape Town Stadium being a drain. Also, Newlands met all the new regulations, as stated otherwise in the media.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
So you made a post only to be in disagreement with Newlands. You don't know what the world thinks, Cape Town Stadium's water seepage problem had been a disappointment on various occasions, yet it is ignored.

Just one thing to remember:

WPRU = Newlands Stadium
CoCT = Cape Town Stadium

IRB currently ranks both as world-class stadiums. The IRB only and last supported bid to play an international rugby game at Cape Town Stadium was back in 2011, this was overwritten by the SARU constitution when WPRU opted to play the games at Newlands Stadium. The CoCT had been standing strong against WPRU ever since due to Cape Town Stadium being a drain. Also, Newlands met all the new regulations, as stated otherwise in the media.

Yes, I am against Newlands hosting international matches, as I feel that CTS provides a much better match day experiance.

As for Newlands meeting all standards, when did this happen? In August 2014, the stadium still did not.

Newlands Stadium in Cape Town has all but run out of time to comply with safety standards that were put in place in 2011.

Legislation was drafted in 2011 giving stadiums three years to comply with the adjusted safety stadiums after the deaths of 43 people in a stampede at Ellis Park, Johannesburg, at a match between Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates in 2001.

Among the regulations are that stadiums:

* Be evacuated within 10 minutes if there is an emergency.

* Have physical barriers that can collapse to separate a stadium bowl and its field in emergencies.

* Have a temporary or permanent heliport.

The regulations also specify dimensions for spectators’ seats:

* The backs should be a minimum of 50cm wide and 30cm high and, going up the tiers, there should be 80cm from seatback to seatback.

Newlands, with an official capacity of 48 000 spectators, would require an upgrade to 48 turnstiles – one to every 1 000 people.

rugby365

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Yes, I am against Newlands hosting international matches, as I feel that CTS provides a much better match day experiance.

As for Newlands meeting all standards, when did this happen? In August 2014, the stadium still did not.

rugby365

Then explain to me, Newlands Stadium had to meet the regulations by December 2014, this would had excluded them to host any game down to the Currie Cup competition entering 2015? Stormers played the Blues on the 21st February at Newlands.

Then to go back to the Rugby365 article, the listed legislation was never promulgated, the only known issue at Newlands is the turnstiles which will be upgraded/expanded. They met the audit by December 2014, supported by nearly all WPRU clubs under the current prerequisites to be a host, this included the consideration (and much more) to move home ground to Cape Town Stadium.

I support the decision made by the WPRU clubs.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master

Interesting that they don't meet the requirements.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Geez that must have been in 19voetsek some time?

1958 according to the Sharks' website: Stadium history

The point though, is that teams move. Newer stadiums get built, fans expect more, and the world goes on. I'm nowhere near old enough to know if their was an outcry at the time, but the teams did all move.

MickeyD

RIP
1958 according to the Sharks' website: Stadium history

The point though, is that teams move. Newer stadiums get built, fans expect more, and the world goes on. I'm nowhere near old enough to know if their was an outcry at the time, but the teams did all move.
Yep... EP moved to the Boet Erasmus Stadium in 1960 after 72 years at St George's Park.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Yep... EP moved to the Boet Erasmus Stadium in 1960 after 72 years at St George's Park.

And the world kept on spinning. In time, a new generation of fans came to call the Boet Erasmus Stadium home. The same thing is happening to EP now at NMB Stadium.

MickeyD

RIP
And the world kept on spinning. In time, a new generation of fans came to call the Boet Erasmus Stadium home. The same thing is happening to EP now at NMB Stadium.
Significant differences between to the unions' situations, though, including the condition of the old stadiums.

MickeyD

RIP
You guys are not called "The Stubborn Stormers" for nothing! :D
Been an EP fan since around 1969... my dad says I was at the 1970 All Blacks match but my first real memory is the 1974 British Lions match and having to sleep outside the stadium to buy tickets for the match. :D

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
Significant differences between to the unions' situations, though, including the condition of the old stadiums.

Fair enough. Newlands may be a dump, but it's a palace compared to the Boet Erasmus Stadium.

Been an EP fan since around 1969... my dad says I was at the 1970 All Blacks match but my first real memory is the 1974 British Lions match and having to sleep outside the stadium to buy tickets for the match. :D

This is what I'm talking about though. You have no memories of St Georges (as a rugby ground) and you don't miss it. I remember Boet Erasmus as a stadium which was falling apart, and my kids will only know EP playing at NMB Stadium.

MickeyD

RIP
This is what I'm talking about though. You have no memories of St Georges (as a rugby ground) and you don't miss it. I remember Boet Erasmus as a stadium which was falling apart, and my kids will only know EP playing at NMB Stadium.
I remember soccer at St George's when PE City were in the top flight. They then moved to the Westbourne Oval.

And obviously cricket... :D

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
An interesting new twist:

Cape Town – This city’s mayor, Patricia de Lille, and SARU chief executive Jurie Roux are to address a media briefing for a “major rugby announcement” at Cape Town Stadium on Friday.

The under-utilised World Cup 2010 soccer venue has been the subject of much rugby-related speculation over the past few years -- affecting both the Sevens and XVs codes.

As far as Sevens is concerned, the city is known to be fancied by key figures in the International Rugby Board and long-time prominent sponsors like Emirates Airline – it operates a twice-a-day service to Cape Town – for hosting of the annual HSBC Sevens World Series SA leg.

News24

Anyone want to bet on where in Cape Town the sevens will be held? It looks like the city and SARU are pushing for CTS. I can only hope that the WPRU don't try to force Newlands, and collapse the deal.

It's sad to see PE lose the event, but hosting it in Cape Town, at Cape Town Stadium, has PE beat in every way. It's a bigger stadium, in a nicer city. They can sell more tickets, and charge higher prices.