Opinions/Experiences with Discovery Insure (for car/household/building insurance)

missionimpossible

I'm investigating moving to Discovery Insure (for car/household/building insurance), since I have my medical aid and life policy (through my employer), it seems to only make sense to explore the option. With some of the incentives they have in place it even makes better sense, such as fuel rewards at selected filling stations..

Has anyone had any experience with moving to them?

Any opinion/s and feedback would be gladly appreciated.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
The fuel rewards really do work as promised - it doesn't take much effort to get a minimum of R300 back every month. Factor this into the fact that the policy is more expensive. The uber discount is also really useful.

I have claimed once - I claimed for household theft recently.

They didn't argue and they did pay me out, BUT their service is extremely poor. Expect claiming to be a long and frustrating process. Their communication is very poor and they don't explain the process to you.

The consultant I was supposed to be dealing with eventually refused to take my calls, or return my calls, or do any work on the claim. Other people had to do her work for her. I did complain about her, but the manager only received the complaint about 2 weeks after I sent it. In other words, it takes about 2 weeks for a complaint to reach the right department.

The manager was quite good about it, and I believe them when they say they want to improve it. It sounds like, as a new insurance company, they really don't know what the hell they are doing. They lack clear communication standards, policies and procedures, and it shows.

missionimpossible

thanks for the feedback. I have heard similar stories like this with regards to claiming which does concern me. Outsurance is really quick with processing claims and efficient to the point by keeping you up to date at every stage of the claim / your car being repaired.

The fuel rewards really do work as promised - it doesn't take much effort to get a minimum of R300 back every month. Factor this into the fact that the policy is more expensive. The uber discount is also really useful.

I have claimed once - I claimed for household theft recently.

They didn't argue and they did pay me out, BUT their service is extremely poor. Expect claiming to be a long and frustrating process. Their communication is very poor and they don't explain the process to you.

The consultant I was supposed to be dealing with eventually refused to take my calls, or return my calls, or do any work on the claim. Other people had to do her work for her. I did complain about her, but the manager only received the complaint about 2 weeks after I sent it. In other words, it takes about 2 weeks for a complaint to reach the right department.

The manager was quite good about it, and I believe them when they say they want to improve it. It sounds like, as a new insurance company, they really don't know what the hell they are doing. They lack clear communication standards, policies and procedures, and it shows.

krycor

Honorary Master
Opinions/Experiences with Discovery Insure (for car/household/building insura...

Can't really say much as I've never claimed.

The 100km active reward is cool, I just stock up my (R10/100km) parking account. Fuel/drive rebate is cool but I think it's more worth it with a new car so u can have all those twt checks & have residential insurance >250k .. Else u kinda only get a little back.

Still getting R75 back makes the policy cheaper than other quotes. I use FNB card for everything.. So I get ebucks on fuel too and with uber it means 25% (discovery)discount and ebucks on uber change as partner

EchoZA

Expert Member
Works for me, I have everything except medical aid with Discovery :)