Opinions on Mecer Inverter

RedViking

Nord of the South
LOLZ, no my 32" tv, router and media player
Can check out these calcs.

Siamesenewdeal

I have had this inverter for around 6 years now without issues except for the annoying fan, that is until recently......

It has started going into alarm mode after about 30 minutes of charging, I assume it could be due to the batteries being old and voltage being too low? Or is there perhaps an issue with the inverter?

Then when I take it off charge and put it back on again it goes into alarm mode immediately

Any idea where I should troubleshoot first?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I have had this inverter for around 6 years now without issues except for the annoying fan, that is until recently......

It has started going into alarm mode after about 30 minutes of charging, I assume it could be due to the batteries being old and voltage being too low? Or is there perhaps an issue with the inverter?

Then when I take it off charge and put it back on again it goes into alarm mode immediately

Any idea where I should troubleshoot first?
The batteries.

Segg

Expert Member
So I've just installed a 24v unit at an elderly family members house and it seems pretty good except there is a noticeable electronic buzz when the inverter mode is active - is this normal? It's stored in the garage so I'm not concerned about the annoyance factor, but rather that the unit is operating normally?

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
So I've just installed a 24v unit at an elderly family members house and it seems pretty good except there is a noticeable electronic buzz when the inverter mode is active - is this normal? It's stored in the garage so I'm not concerned about the annoyance factor, but rather that the unit is operating normally?

Its perfectly normal when Eskom power is off (Inverter running) also when unit is charging batteries....

Oh and no need for necro's see : This thread

Segg

Expert Member

For anyone reading this thread in the future...

Okay so I've got to the bottom of the noise, it's some sort of interference with fluorescent tubes and their transformers... The noise is very apparent when these lights are being run from the inverter, it's pretty much silent when the lights are turned off or when running on mains

Will be replacing them with LED tubes this weekend

Norri

Necrobump...

After reading through this whole thread I’ve realized I’m better off with the 12V mecer inverter.

Anyone want to buy a never-been-used 24v mecer inverter? In original packaging and everything.

I hooked it up once and it didn’t work because I only had the single battery. Other than that it’s brand new.

Just looking to cover the cost of the 12V model so I’m asking R1900. Joburg

Hopefully my mistake helps someone here.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Necrobump...

After reading through this whole thread I’ve realized I’m better off with the 12V mecer inverter.

Anyone want to buy a never-been-used 24v mecer inverter? In original packaging and everything.

I hooked it up once and it didn’t work because I only had the single battery. Other than that it’s brand new.

Just looking to cover the cost of the 12V model so I’m asking R1900. Joburg

Hopefully my mistake helps someone here.
Post it on classifieds.

Also consider buying the new Mecer.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Any shops in CTN selling the new model with mppt ?

What and how many PV panel(s) to get for a single battery ?

it's a friend that wants to keep a PC + router on during loadshedding ... ±250W I think ?
No idea about shops in CPT, hopefully some Cape Town guys will chip in.

A 12V inverter has a higher current draw than the 24V so the more the merrier when it comes to panels. Assuming a 300W load, at 12V it will be pulling 25A, so to try match that in panels at least three of the 250W panels.

But two would still do the job as a start, just to supplement the battery, even a single one will make a difference. It would be wise to first get an extra battery to connect in parallel before the panels, or if the budget allows get both at the same time.