RedViking

Nord of the South
Hi,

I bought a phone (LG G4 - surprise!) via http://store.orange.com/ a year ago, as you know they have closed down.
We are now referred to CTDI, orangeservice_za@ctdi.com, +27 (11) 237 7800 for warranty and returns.

CTDI organised and fetched my phone for repairs under warranty last week.

Today when I phoned them they said they will be sending my phone back to me NOT REPAIRED with a letter stating that Orange doesn't pay their accounts and keep their part of the deal,the lady from CTDI said Orange also doesn't respond (to CTDI) when they are contacted.

This probably also means that anyone who bought a device via Orange still under warranty are screwed if they have any kind of issues.

Must I now contact LG directly? Any advice what to do next as the phone is still under warranty?

Thanks
RV

Gadgetology

Hi,

I bought a phone (LG G4 - surprise!) via http://store.orange.com/ a year ago, as you know they have closed down.
We are now referred to CTDI, orangeservice_za@ctdi.com, +27 (11) 237 7800 for warranty and returns.

CTDI organised and fetched my phone for repairs under warranty last week.

Today when I phoned them they said they will be sending my phone back to me NOT REPAIRED with a letter stating that Orange doesn't pay their accounts and keep their part of the deal,the lady from CTDI said Orange also doesn't respond (to CTDI) when they are contacted.

This probably also means that anyone who bought a device via Orange still under warranty are screwed if they have any kind of issues.

Must I now contact LG directly? Any advice what to do next as the phone is still under warranty?

Thanks
RV

I think contact LG South Africa (http://www.lg.com/za) and let them know what is going on. They might be able to help.

chrisc

Honorary Master
I am suspicious of Orange since I purchased a SIM for use in Europe. The advert and instructions said it would last 14 days and have 1Gb of data. I inserted it into the phone upon arrival in Paris. The "activate" code did not work and when I went into an Orange Store, I was told that the SIM was programmed to last until 31st December 2015 and it was now September 2016, so I had to buy another for 60€

On getting back to CT, I visited the Orange Store in Claremont and complained. They told me that they guarantee nothing as they only act as agents. Emails to Orange in France only received a generic reply and no more. I suggested to the shop that they were perpetrating a fraud. The manager said "so sue us" and walked off

RedViking

Nord of the South
I am suspicious of Orange since I purchased a SIM for use in Europe. The advert and instructions said it would last 14 days and have 1Gb of data. I inserted it into the phone upon arrival in Paris. The "activate" code did not work and when I went into an Orange Store, I was told that the SIM was programmed to last until 31st December 2015 and it was now September 2016, so I had to buy another for 60€

On getting back to CT, I visited the Orange Store in Claremont and complained. They told me that they guarantee nothing as they only act as agents. Emails to Orange in France only received a generic reply and no more. I suggested to the shop that they were perpetrating a fraud. The manager said "so sue us" and walked off

Well they left SA now, so not much we can do about it anyways. Do you maybe have the email address you used for Orange France?

Park@82

Honorary Master
Bootloop problem on the g4? There is a hack to disable some of the cores that are causing the problem. It will slow down the phone but at least you'll be able to use it. Check the g4 thread for more info.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Bootloop problem on the g4? There is a hack to disable some of the cores that are causing the problem. It will slow down the phone but at least you'll be able to use it. Check the g4 thread for more info.

A month after I got the phone it had a bootloop issue with overheating, it went back and they fixed it (replaced motherboard or something expensive). Now the back buttons are faulty.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Orange SA was nothing more than Expansys with new colors and if you go googling the 2 you will find some funny going ons.

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/internet/68466-liquidation-for-expansys-sa.html
https://businesstech.co.za/news/internet/145225/orange-closes-online-store-in-sa/

"“We leave you in the good hands of our trusted partner CTDI (formerly Regenersis) who will assist with any warranty and/or return queries from the 1st of December 2016.”"

Well one of the two is not keeping their end of the deal. The customers are caught in the middle.

Sousa

Same story with my Nexus 5x...

Not even six months old and my LG Nexus 5x packed up. I decided to find a solution - get it fixed or get my money back!

LG claims it's a manufacturing fault that occurred due to the type of solder used in the CPU's vicinity. Similar boot loop issues have occured on various LG devices whereby the solder chosen couldn't handle the heat fluctuations and thus broke off from the motherboard - kinda like heating and cooling a glass bottle, eventually it just goes "pop".

Nevertheless, LG then stated that it would refund affected users IF your phone is still under warranty AND IF you purchased it from them - not a secondary retailer such as the Google Play Store or Orange. So asking them for help is out.

I've dealt with CDTi before and they have a good customer support system - not perfect but good. The Orange problem has been a thorn in their side for a while now. Unfortunately they can no longer service Orange phones.

The final option is the legal route, to take the case to a small claims court. However, even though you will win the case (CPA does protect us from latent defects, within a reason), Orange is a UK based company and from what I've learnt, you'll have to go over to the UK to prove that they are wrong, only to retutn to RSA to file for damages.

Long story short... We just got really unlucky.

What I would consider is taking it to a local repair center or ordering the part off eBay and doing it yourself. LG G4 parts are a lot more common than a Nexus 5x... Best of luck!

Last edited:

elroc

Threads like this is not inspiring me with a lot of confidence. I've got the same issue with a 5X bootloop (started yesterday, a week before my 1 year Orange warranty is due to run out.) Now CTDI is not answering the phone, at least not when selecting the option stating 'orange' on their user prompt menu.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Threads like this is not inspiring me with a lot of confidence. I've got the same issue with a 5X bootloop (started yesterday, a week before my 1 year Orange warranty is due to run out.) Now CTDI is not answering the phone, at least not when selecting the option stating 'orange' on their user prompt menu.

Dont think you are gonna get anywhere. Orange is gone, with the money. CTDI is not much better.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
And that's why grey imports are always a bad idea.

Hopefully a lesson learnt by all.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master

Hey both my Xperia Play and Moto G I got via Orange was money well spent. In fact the G4 is still rocking it 4 years later (Sold it to a friend that's still using it)

Sure you play luck of the draw, but not everyone that play the game loses.

JimboBob

Expert Member

Hey both my Xperia Play and Moto G I got via Orange was money well spent. In fact the G4 is still rocking it 4 years later (Sold it to a friend that's still using it)

Sure you play luck of the draw, but not everyone that play the game loses.

Totally agree...

I've owned Nexus 4, Nexus 5,Moto G3, Nexus 6P. All grey and never had an issue with any of the phones.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Totally agree...

I've owned Nexus 4, Nexus 5,Moto G3, Nexus 6P. All grey and never had an issue with any of the phones.

Yeah the problem is rather IF you do have a problem whether it’s worth the gamble.

And that’s where folk in this thread for stuck.

Also your comment is akin to “well I didn’t have a problem...therefore your issues don’t exist.”

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Yeah the problem is rather IF you do have a problem whether it’s worth the gamble.

And that’s where folk in this thread for stuck.

Also your comment is akin to “well I didn’t have a problem...therefore your issues don’t exist.”
It's just LG. If you willingly chose to buy a LG made Nexus 5x with the bootloop issues of the g4 and v10 all over the news you deserve it.

RedViking

Nord of the South
The problem is not the 'grey' devices, but the company who conned everyone. Or maybe there was interference from other sources.... You never know. Also, I'll stay away from LG or LG manufactured phones in the future. CTDI said it will cost over R6000 to fix the faulty back buttons on my G4. I bought the button set on Bid or Buy for a 100 bucks or something. These repair companies are raping the mobile companies.