org.za domain transfer from MWeb - Really need advice

HeXd

Hola,

I'm trying to transfer an .org.za domain name away from MWeb's DNS servers, and move it to a free server which I can point to Google services (it's for an NGO who are trying to cut costs until international funding increases and they can move to a full featured CMS system).

However, MWeb doesn't want to play nicely. I've submitted the CHANGE request twice now, the NGO has contacted MWeb and said they want to transfer the domain and I have tried to contact the email address MWeb has listed on the org.za entry info (all three are MWeb corp accounts). But none of these have had any luck. The CHANGE request gets ignored along with my emails. And the NGO are more or less told to pay for an ISP.

Has anyone had any experience with dealing with MWeb's DNS people, or have any contact details, or any advice on getting this domain out of their control?

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
I had a similar problem with IS. I just phoned IS and got it dealt with. Another option is to contact .org.za and get them to do a manual update.

JAV

Had the same problem a couple of years back with a org.za domain for a client. MWeb weren't responding to emails and eventually I got hold of IS (they manage the org.za tld), sent them all the clients documentation, with a letter from him stating that he wanted the domain moved.

If I remember correctly it took about a day from the submission of documentation before the DNS servers were updated.

I'm sure MWeb still think they manage the domain as I have never received any feedback from them.

Last edited:

Carbon_Fibre

Expert Member
I'm sure MWeb still think they manage the domain as I have never received any feedback from them.
Do MWEB charge renewals on org.za? (note there are no renewal fees). If they do then they're probably billing you.

MWEB always do that when trying to transfer domains away. The best thing to do is to phone the b@stards, as well as Fax and email the cancellation notices (which you should attach to all communication with them.

HeXd

Thanks everyone. This is really helpful. Guess we will have to go forward with a manual update first thing after the long weekend.

What the hell though, do MWeb/ certain other ISPs think they own these domains or something? I can sort of get not putting the domain owners credentials on the record to avoid domain theft (non-technical people don't always know what their emails are about and will blindly reply), but not giving people any other way to work with the system is just wrong. :mad: </rant>

Anyway, thanks again. :)

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
welcome to the wonderful world of Mweb ;)

They don't like other ISP's. And they hate competition. Full stop.

Look here: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/264995-why-are-some-ISP-s-so-damn-diffuclut-to-deal-with

We recently had an issue where some emails to users on their domain was blocked, without any indication as to why. Out of a few thousand servers, only one server got blocked, and also only one client's emails. Their eventual response was "greylisting", which I find very hard to believe since email to Yahoo ( who started greylisting) doesn't have an issue. Email sent to mweb's network from the same client's email (from what I can gather in the logs) before 4 months ago wasn't greylisted. They're support is UBER pathetic and they make you look like the village idiot.

But the bottom line is, they don't like loosing clients and will force you into some 50-year contract just to keep you. They'll also make it super difficult for you to move, without repercussions.