Originals vs Covers

koffiejunkie

Executive Member
Prefer the cover.

...Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel ...
...Sound of Silence - Disturbed...

Interesting tidbit. I never had the "Wednesday Morning 3AM" album, so I only knew a few songs on it from the best-of album. Sound Of Silence has always bothered me in that the sound is very different from the rest of the tracks on the 1966 Sounds of Silence album. Turns out, this is a remix, that Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel had not thing todo with and wasn't even aware of.

The story goes that Wednesday Morning 3AM didn't sell all that well, and the boys went on with their lives. Art went to study, well, art, and Paul pursued a solo career in England. Some DJ, somewhere played the song on late night radio, and it became popular with students. The next day mainstream stations started picking it up. The producer, Tim Wilson, had recently had success with Bob Dylan and The Byrds, and felt that the song would have more appeal with a bit more edge, so he hired a whole band and had record some guitar and drum tracks. He mixed it up with the original an released it as a single.

Simon and Garfunkel didn't know about this. Garfunkel presumably heard it on the radio, and apparently didn't have a problem with it. Simon read about the single in Billboard magazine, ordered the 7" vinyl. He was horrified.

Listen to the 1964 original. Listen to what the guitars sound like. Can you hear the drums?

Now listen to the 1966 version:

And if you want to hear the influence, listen to Bob Dylan's Like A Rolling Stone:
and The Byrds' Turn! Turn! Turn!
Then listen to the 1966 version of Sounds of Silence again. It's pretty obvious. There are other songs on the albums that use a similar guitars and rhythm section, but it sounds a lot more deliberate. I haven't found anything to indicate if that's something they wanted to do or did under pressure from the recording company. Maybe one day we'll know.

Naks

Executive Member
Green Day - Boulevard Of Broken Dreams

Original

First to Eleven

BackStabbath

Original:

Cover:

Tame Impala or should I say Kevin Parker what a fantastic artist but wow is it me or did Rihanna make this song her own. Most people didnt even know it was a cover I think Mr. Parker made this song for her. Rihanna version sounds best :thumbsup:

BackStabbath

Original:

Cover:

Difficult choice this one but nothing beats the tight instrumentation and natural feeling of the original version by the amazing Isley Brothers. Not to discredit Frank Ocean he is one very gifted artist in a world filled with overly polished nonsense these new artists need to lay off the quantize function they sounding way too pitch perfect.

Pixies

Honorary Master
Originally written for Rogers and Hammerstein's Carousel but probably best known by this cover by Gerry and the Pacemakers

Pixies

Honorary Master
While on the subject of Gerry Marsden...

I'm a fan of both...