Osprey Xenith 105 Litre

The_MAC

Executive Member
My girlfriend had 18kg (also first-night booze) when we started.
It was worth it.
That's the nice thing, the more you can carry the more you can enjoy yourself.

I love having nice food on hikes, good coffee with milk, and whiskey - it makes the experience more pleasant. In the day you smash the trail, have a nice lunch on route, and in the evenings you enjoy the scenery and a decent meal with a night cap. Absolute bliss. :love:

Reactions: 3WA

calypso

Expert Member
Called them, stock only arriving end of October - seems Osprey itself has stock delays
Since lockdowns became a thing, camping and hiking has exploded in popularity worldwide. Tent manufacturers are seeing up to 2-year waiting lists from the factories. The one I wanted to buy (Dan Durston X Mid) sold out in hours online and sell for way more in second-hand markets.

Snyper564

Executive Member
Since lockdowns became a thing, camping and hiking has exploded in popularity worldwide. Tent manufacturers are seeing up to 2-year waiting lists from the factories. The one I wanted to buy (Dan Durston X Mid) sold out in hours online and sell for way more in second-hand markets.
This is definitely something my wife and I have jumped on seriously the last year and are enjoying it immensely.

Hiked over 40km the last 2 weekends. If you wanna look for more trails use https://www.alltrails.com a really great hiking resource

The_MAC

Executive Member
I have definitely seen an increase of people on the trails, and unfortunately on day hikes, litter as well :(

Why don't you have a look at the Vango Helvellyn 200, really good design, light and durable.

I also have the First Ascent Lunar, also very good.

Both have been tested on multi-day hikes in the berg, they both hold out very well. Vango is the winner though, due to the vestibule design.

I see the Dan Durston is very light, 878 grams, that's impressive, is that correct? Expensive though.

The_MAC

Executive Member
This is definitely something my wife and I have jumped on seriously the last year and are enjoying it immensely.

Hiked over 40km the last 2 weekends. If you wanna look for more trails use https://www.alltrails.com a really great hiking resource
Fagalavoet is also quite good for bookings on more secluded multi-day hikes.

https://www.fagalavoet.co.za/

For traversing off route, try the GaiaGPS app, lots of free maps, with option to import.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Yup, I can clearly see at least triple amount of people on day hikes compared to pre-covid

calypso

Expert Member
I have definitely seen an increase of people on the trails, and unfortunately on day hikes, litter as well :(

Why don't you have a look at the Vango Helvellyn 200, really good design, light and durable.

I also have the First Ascent Lunar, also very good.

Both have been tested on multi-day hikes in the berg, they both hold out very well. Vango is the winner though, due to the vestibule design.

I see the Dan Durston is very light, 878 grams, that's impressive, is that correct? Expensive though.
The X-Mid gets a lot of its weight-saving as it's a trekking pole tent. so technically you should be counting those too. The single wall DCF X-Mid is currently under development, should be closer to half that weight.

The_MAC

Executive Member
The X-Mid gets a lot of its weight-saving as it's a trekking pole tent. so technically you should be counting those too. The single wall DCF X-Mid is currently under development, should be closer to half that weight.
Oh I see. I would imagine damaging your poles could be a risk though.

George Netherby

Expert Member
We've missed the Fish 2 years in a row now because of the old Rona. Almost ready to give up on this adventure. June 2022 come on baby!

The_MAC

Executive Member
We've missed the Fish 2 years in a row now because of the old Rona. Almost ready to give up on this adventure. June 2022 come on baby!
BIL did it this year in May, no issues in terms of restrictions etc. I was jealous of not being able to go, I didn't have enough leave, total of 10 days required for travel and hike. Photos looked amazing

George Netherby

Expert Member
BIL did it this year in May, no issues in terms of restrictions etc. I was jealous of not being able to go, I didn't have enough leave, total of 10 days required for travel and hike. Photos looked amazing
Mrs Netherby was so frazzled after crossing into Lesotho in December 2020 she said she was not willing to take the risk of being stuck in Nam if things got hairy. It's understandable. Must have been amazing this year with all the rain.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
I bought the Osprey Volt 60 last year for Otter Trail
All in my gross mass was 16kg and I didn't even notice I was carrying a backpack for 5 days
yassis it's expensive.

I need an Osprey Day pack. Any recommendations?

The_MAC

Executive Member
yassis it's expensive.

I need an Osprey Day pack. Any recommendations?
Osprey has lifetime guarantee, and it is really good quality, basically will last your whole life. I hike a lot, so I need something robust that won't let me down in the middle of a 7 day traverse, can't afford for a buckle to snap, or a zip to strip

But, the other brands are just as adequate. First Ascent, Kway, Cape Storm etc. It's all about the design that appeals to you i.e. pocket access, size, configuration etc. And of course your budget, but there are alternatives