Oudtshoorn fibre | Herotel, Vox, Frogfoot

Arthur

Honorary Master
The Herotel fibre service was out in parts of West Bank from 15h13 till 18h06 yesterday 16 September 2021. I drove to two teams parked on the side of the road and they confirmed they were tracing a cable break.

Apart from this one interruption so far, the service has been rock steady and up-to-speed since installation at the beginning of September.

One disappointment is that subscribers are obliged to use Herotel's own Toto modem/router after the ONU. And they won't give out the creds so I can manage things myself. In fact, I'd rather connect my Netgate SG-3100 pfSense firewall/router directly to the ONU, but they apparently won't allow that either. Will be taking it up with Herotel management when I get a chance.

The only service issue I've had is that, even though they claim the service is unshaped, they definitely do some NATing either their end or in the Toto on-prem box. (which I can't get into). I couldn't open an OpenVPN tunnel from outside to my own server. Had to call Support, give them a port number (which is a security compromise in my view), and they fiddled about until at least my VPN works.

Still, overall I'm pretty pleased so far. I just hope the service is stable. This is especially important when I'm abroad since I manage dozens of devices on my own network: smart switches, cameras, irrigation and pool pump, solar PV, meter reading, the 4 x Ubiquiti AP mesh, etc.

(Thread heads-up for @PrimeSteak, @MEG101, @Vercogen)

PrimeSteak

Expert Member
Apart from this one interruption so far, the service has been rock steady and up-to-speed since installation at the beginning of September.
Yeah same here, no complaints either. Service is solid af. Great value for money, seems like Herotel is getting super popular here
Still, overall I'm pretty pleased so far. I just hope the service is stable.
Honestly depends on your speed, I have the 50mbps package, it's quite stable, it has occasional dips like once a month but nothing like WISP quality connections and Herotel at least sends SMSes if they are doing major maintenance. I mean the fibre here at my house can handle online gaming while streaming on a TV Stick at 480p or 1080p and streaming Youtube on a laptop, so I think you should be fine.

Last edited:

PrimeSteak

Expert Member
Honestly, on another note, I don't get why people would go for stuff on Frogfoot here in O'hoorn (unless they live in a complex and have no other option). Because, for example, many of the cheapest packages on Frogfoot start at R599 and Cool Ideas (which the entire forum loves unconditionally) asks something in the R800 range for the same speed as I currently have for R500. So in short, why go the expensive route, if you can get value for your money?

Arthur

Honorary Master
It's not much of an issue yet, but Herotel have been changing/updating my IP two a three times a day for the past few days. Also, download speeds are slightly below the advertised package specs, but uploads are fine.

Hope this doesn't presage a drop in stability and performance as they add users.