Our car almost got impounded because of an illegal permit

Hey all you wonderful people!

Please hear our story and give us any advice that you can...

We bought a brand new DS3 Sport from Citroen Hatfield on 01 October 2011. So we arrive back in Jo'burg to find the front bumper clipped out on the driver's side, hanging on by a cable tie! So we phone them immediately to fix their stuff-up. My wife spoke to the sexist sales manager who laughed at her and basically told her that he would rather speak to me. We tried really hard to get the service we deserve after paying over R240K for a new car but to no avail. A week later after taking the car in twice and them refusing to give us a courtesy car (both times), we get it fixed at our inconvenience. But here's the beautiful part - They took their sweet time organizing our license and registration that our permit expired (after 3 weeks) so I phoned the sexist sales manager and insisted that he courier a new permit. We received the new permit the next day! Cool! So maybe they're starting to take us seriously. We drove in the Jo'burg CBD on Saturday, directly into a roadblock. Luckily we received our brand new permit! I was so shocked when the police asked me to step out of my car, confiscated my permit and wanted to call a tow-truck to tow my car! We pleaded and told them our story. They let us go but warned that we won't be so lucky the next time. We still haven't received our plates and the dealer principal refuses to return my calls. So here's my question - can we claim for a reimbursement or partial refund or something? Surely after all that we're entitled to something?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing from you.

RyTy

Freaksta

Expert Member
Sounds like Pathetic sales manager and branch, sorry to hear your misfortune, it's rather sad to here this after spending 240k.. Hopefully you come right soon, sorry i can't give much guidance! Enjoy your new car.

Jola

Honorary Master
Take it up with the Pretoria News - maybe they have a consumer complaints section.

There may also be something that you can do in terms of the Consumer Protection Act - see an attorney ?

Wyzak

Expert Member
Open a criminal case against the dealership. Obviously lots of underhand dealings are going on. One of them should stick.

upup

Executive Member
Go to the consumer act people, cart blance, hello peter and the papers. Havent they got a big boss somewhere.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. We will definitely contact the Pretoria News - maybe even take out a full page ad. Ja Pooky, they completely suck.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
I keep reading "Our cat almost got impounded ..." which the first time confused me senseless as I could imagine how that would be a CPA issue.

Venomous

Honorary Master
I would contact their head office & let them know what is happening.

Personally I somehow get the feeling that the NEW car you got was NOT SO new, or at least a demo model - you mentioned the bumper....

The license story... :erm: well. That's just WRONG.

I'm sure their head office will get this problem resolved for you as it does not just affect the branch you got the car from but the brand as a WOLE.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Involve Citroen SA straight away..

They will resolve this for you as fast as possible is my guess since this is a massive blow to their brand if it gets out into the wild in a major newspaper.

Thanks for the feedback :)

We've already lodged 2 complaints on Hello Peter, filled out forms with the Motor Industry Ombudsman, contacted Carte Blanche, The Star, Pretoria News and we posted on every Citroen FaceBook page we could find! Citroen SA finally contacted us and organized a courtesy car (they had to use OUR credit card) while they sort out our licensing and registration. They have a new permit for us and want the courtesy car back but we'll only give the car back once we have the plates. We refuse to wait another 3 weeks.

It's true what everyone says - don't buy a Citroen dammit!

This is excellent advice! Thanks ghoti and The_Librarian, I'm going to do this now. They sold us a "brand new car" so surely that's a breach of contract or something if it is in fact a demo.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Thanks for the feedback :)

We've already lodged 2 complaints on Hello Peter, filled out forms with the Motor Industry Ombudsman, contacted Carte Blanche, The Star, Pretoria News and we posted on every Citroen FaceBook page we could find! Citroen SA finally contacted us and organized a courtesy car (they had to use OUR credit card) while they sort out our licensing and registration. They have a new permit for us and want the courtesy car back but we'll only give the car back once we have the plates. We refuse to wait another 3 weeks.

It's true what everyone says - don't buy a Citroen dammit!
they probably hiring a car & if damaged you will be held liable..

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
This is excellent advice! Thanks ghoti and The_Librarian, I'm going to do this now. They sold us a "brand new car" so surely that's a breach of contract or something if it is in fact a demo.
Do let us know what happens.

If it was a 2nd hand car, I would've been a bit lenient with how the car looks.

But with a brand new car I expect a brand new car, not something that's cable-tied together.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Yeah please let us know what happens. The instant you saw the bumper was attached with cable ties, you should have gone CPA on them. Demand a refund of the difference between a new and used Citroen.