Our Ethereum mining rig – From riches to rags

Cius

Executive Member
Bwahahaha, beach house in Mexico. Watching this with amusement.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Nicehash is worse than mining directly.

Higher fees and they pay out less than mining directly.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
So rough calculation suggests you're about half way to break-even?

Adrianax

Banned
It is easier for me just to use the cash I have extra and keep buying Bitcoin and Ether as and when I am ready from different marketplaces. Just let them lie in my Blockchain wallet and will check in 10 years if I am poor or rich.

By the way, on the 15th of September 2015, I bough $50 worth of Bitcoin. According to my wallet, that batch is now worth around $830.

Last edited:

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Why are you mining ethereum when you know it's getting more difficult by the day. There are literally hundreds of other coins to mine

Adrianax

Banned
Why are you mining ethereum when you know it's getting more difficult by the day. There are literally hundreds of other coins to mine
People are sticking to those that has potential to explode, much like Bitcoin. Get in early and you could be a billionaire. Get in later and you could be a millionaire. Get in too late and you end up like this. Mining any other coin, may end up owning coins that will not increase in value and getting a return on your investment may proof difficult.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
People are sticking to those that has potential to explode, much like Bitcoin. Get in early and you could be a billionaire. Get in later and you could be a millionaire. Get in too late and you end up like this. Mining any other coin, may end up owning coins that will not increase in value and getting a return on your investment may proof difficult.
No, you mine any of the easy coins then shapeshift them into Ethereum.

what would you mine? Zcash?
Anything above Ethereum over here http://whattomine.com/

In fact it currently looks like Ethereum is by far the most difficult to mine.

Last edited:

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
but its profitability is still in 3rd place?
Which hardware did you choose? I think the AMD cards are more efficient in mining Eth. For me personally with Nvidia cards, mining Ethereum is just a waste of electricity :p

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Whattomine does not factor in that ETH uses quite a bit more electricity to mine than some of the other coins.

ETH is on the top of the list for me, but I do not mine it because of that.

Daruk

Honorary Master
So rough calculation suggests you're about half way to break-even?
Half way in what way?
Given the payout trend, I'd say they're not even 1/4 the way.
As for nicehash fixing it all :crylaugh:

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Does Nvidia and AMD have huge mining farms set up? If no, why not?

I would think that they can produce cards behind locked doors that would be much better for mining than those available to the public. They don't push every piece of tech available into cards for the current generation so that they have something "new" to sell next year. i.e. they keep performance gains around 30% per generation of cards. If they have some new tech that increases performance by 200%, this would be locked away and used over time so that people are buying new cards every year with 30% gains.

Sounds like a conspiracy theory but that's just business.

Subscript

Switch to a different more-profitable currency. Thats the best thing about having a GPU rig

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
Hahaha, I forgot about your misfortune. Hang onto it for another year or so, Maybe you can buy that beach house in Mexico from rpm :p
LOL. It wasn't a misfortune. I installed MinerGate, and restarted the PC, and forgot about it for a few days. Not sure how it started mining BCN, but I now have almost 2k BCN :crylaugh: PC running at the office, not even my PC, so no loss for me.