Our obsession with taking photos is changing how we remember the past

RedViking

Nord of the South
(didn't read article yet) I think taking photos can make you miss an in the moment experience. For example go to a live show, everyone is busy recording with their phones instead of enjoying the moment. Or go to a coffee shop, a lot of people will be on their phones.... Like I am at the moment. :X3:

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
It's the times we are living in.
In a few years time it will be something else. Then something else will come along to replace that.

It's been going on for millennia.

Just look at recent history.
Why are the 50's 60's 70's 80's and 90's all seen differently?
Because different things were popular during those times and each new decade of teens are looked at by parents who think they are ruining their lives.

Again, this article is looking way too deeply into the current fad.

saor

Honorary Master
100% this...

I'm not a fan of photos in general, I would much rather experience a place than see it through a lens.
This also seems to be more of a thing now where people will visit a new place and spend more time thinking about the pic and how they're going to present that pic to the internet than actually just experiencing the place and smelling the air.

Happy Days

It's simply a sign of the times. People are increasingly becoming more selfish, self-centered and narcissistic. It's all about me and my experience and how I look, than how my actions are impacting the experience of others.

People are having to remember less though. In the good old days (maybe 10 years ago) you would be required to remember a whole whack of telephone numbers cause there wasn't sufficient phone memory. Now, I would challenge anyone to recall more than five numbers. Honestly, I don't know what my children's phone numbers are, because the numbers are in my phone's memory and not mine.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
It's simply a sign of the times. People are increasingly becoming more selfish, self-centered and narcissistic. It's all about me and my experience and how I look, than how my actions are impacting the experience of others.

People are having to remember less though. In the good old days (maybe 10 years ago) you would be required to remember a whole whack of telephone numbers cause there wasn't sufficient phone memory. Now, I would challenge anyone to recall more than five numbers. Honestly, I don't know what my children's phone numbers are, because the numbers are in my phone's memory and not mine.
You didn't have cellphones in 2008 / 9 that could hold enough numbers? What?

Happy Days

Not that many (sim capacity). Back then people still bothered to memorize most numbers, not anymore. All I'm saying is that habits are changing, and not all for the better.

garp

Executive Member
I agree that you tend to miss the experience if you're obsessed with photographing absolutely everything. I've found that a good compromise is to take only one or two defining pics of any place I visit (not a selfie) and use that, firstly, as a record of where I was (since that shows up with location on my phone) and, secondly, to "hang" my other memories of the place on. And then put the phone/camera away.

You'll be amazed how much comes back to you when you see one pic of somewhere you've been that elegantly summarises the place. It also forces me to be more aware of wherever I'm visiting as it makes me look out for that one scene that will serve as a good record of the place. This is quite liberating as you feel that you've made a record of it, and you can then just enjoy the experience and forget about recording every little detail. And if I ever want to show friends at home, I've found that anywhere worth visiting now has so many pics online already that I can just show people the best of those instead.

Slootvreter

Honorary Master

Oh the horror.

raind33r

Expert Member
What they say is true. We do make up false memories.

I have a crystal clear recollection of owning a budgie. He was called Count Jester. He was pale blue with an almost white nose. We also had a green one called Butch. I remember them getting out of their cage and we were running up and down the street, looking for them. We eventually got them to go back into the cage as they were hungry.
My neighbour's son was breeding birds so we eventually gave him the two budgies. Count Jester turned out to be Countess Jester and went on to lay several eggs.

It seems I imagined the entire thing as neither my mother, nor my brother, remember ever owning budgies.
Mandela effect?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Not that many (sim capacity). Back then people still bothered to memorize most numbers, not anymore. All I'm saying is that habits are changing, and not all for the better.
Ten years ago was 2009, which was the time of the iPhone 3GS and various other smartphones. I think you mean maybe 1999? Which was 20 years ago now.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I'm the only one in or group that likes taking photos ... but give it 2 years - everyone wants a memory from you!

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
I'm the only one in or group that likes taking photos ... but give it 2 years - everyone wants a memory from you!
There is a difference between taking photos of key moments or trips and taking 20 photos every 5 minutes.
That's pushing it.

One and done

Dolby

Honorary Master
Ok - yea, I mean like vacations or birthdays or something.

I Instagram a lot - but of those, only 3 of 200 are selfies in key places. Generally insects / speakers / whiskey / cats etc

And no snapshat ...