Out-of-bundle and data rollover regulations - Your feedback needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel

The roll over data system they use is OVERALL UNFAIR. I mean the data is paid for, why is it necessary for it to expire if not used, if I am left with 50MB unused, why should it expire when I have paid for it fully?
The data should not expire at all, it's unfair.

its like i put petrol in my car and if i dont use it all in 1 month then i have to give what left back to the garage !!!
or
i buy food and if i dont eat it all i have to give whats left back to the shop !!!!

rollover is bs , it should be illegal

Jelo

What really grates me is the expiry of Pay as You Go (PAYG) bundles without warning.

Red Plumstead

Expert Member
The roll over data system they use is unfair. All roll over data is parked until you use all data of the new month and only then you get access to the roll over. It will be fair if you can first use the roll over data and then after that start using data of the new month.
Data should always be rolled over for as long as the data exists.
From me Vodacom still not applying OOb correctly. I buy maybe once a month data only a few mb for just a short use. When it runs out they steal from my airtime. raised it with ICASA, but that does not help. As per Vodacom you should everytime block OOB as soon as you buy data.
even if you just buy social media data Vodacom still steals your airtime for other functions.

Uppem

I,m presently in the U.K. where Vodafone ( Vodacom ), roll over your data for 2 years , go figure . On my PAYG with a different provider my rollover is 4 months , SA being screwed again ?

Ivan.Shamley

The principal of "you paid for a product, its yours to use no matter when". Its theft if your data expires, seeing as you paid for it.

wato

It is especially unfair that monthly bundles expire after a time. Sometimes it isn't possible to use data before it expires.

Gina145

I was charged out of bundle this morning after my unused data expired last night. I've never seen data roll over.

4Eyes001

Data should be used on a first-in-first-out basis and should not expire after 60 days as is the case with my Vodacom contract. If a use it or lose it policy needs to be in place, then I believe that it should only expire after 180 days.
Here's an analogy - I buy a bottle of gin. That gin does not miraculously disappear from my cabinet after 60 days, having been recovered by the distiller. If I buy 1 gig it is MINE!

Jonny B

ICASA is asking for public comment on its new regulations which force networks to disable out-of-bundle data and give subscribers proper usage notifications, data rollover, and data transfer.

ICASA will use the feedback from these questionnaires to measure the impact of its new regulations.

MyBroadband set up a questionnaire to make it easy for you to give feedback.
Please complete this survey to tell ICASA if you think the regulations are working.

Hat tip to Ellipsis and @Jan for making this happen.
You should be allowed to use your roll over data first, as it is already yours and paid for. And you should get a 12 month window.

binarycape

Data should be rolled over if not used. Mostly one does use it but I found with Telkom they would just delete your unused data and start again, so if you had a month where you used more for some reason that was just toughies. I rarely get a notification from them now - used to be weekly on a Monday, so I never know where I am with their data. Maybe a 3 month expiry date wouldn't be so bad, but some places give a year, which is generous. As others hav said, if you have paid up front for your data then it should not expire or have a long expiry date.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
I inconvenience myself by buying the minimum of data on Vodacom that I can get away with to last a month because otherwise the 'left over' data expires like clockwork on 30 days - so I usually run out a few days before month end and top up with one of their 'cheap' 3 day bundle specials. It's frikkin irritating but I refuse to be scammed into buying a bigger bundle only to have it evaporate on 30 days.

Terumo

There is a financial problem here, you are saying a company must have debt (value owed to customers) on its books for potentially ever.

Operationally, this can create a situation where there is enough data available to customers at no cost which cannot be physically satisfied by the network, and there is no ability to predict whether the capacity required to satisfy that data will ever be used.

One reason for quotas/caps is to allow adequate operational capacity planning.
1- Deliver what we as consumers pay for? How can you expect to pay for something that vanishes in 30 days if you don't use it? It's insane, ISP's purchase data per second not in gigs used?
It's only logical to pass that onto consumers, i agree that data can't last Forever,
But purchased data bundles should last 3-6 months imo

2- Customers already purchased the data, so ISP already recovered those funds.

3- Money sink, artificially created to force consumers to spend more to get what they already paid for. Expiring data bundles. We are not talking about food that can spoil here folks..

Napalm

Expert Member
They should sell data with the terms specific to the bundle. The prices must be scaled correctly and obviously be in-line with ICASA.

3Month rollover 2gig r150 pm for a 6month or 12month or 24month term (depending if ur adding it on maybe midway into a contract or prepaid)

12month rollover of 2gig for r160

24month rollover of 2gig for R170

This way, nothing is in the "grey" they know what your suppose to get.. they get what you must pay. You get your data as you should, per selection.

Greggles

Data paid for should not have an expiry date. If it is not used you should still own it.
Oldest data should be used first, newest data last.
The provider should not have to refund unused data, the user must plan for what they need more carefully.

chrisc

Executive Member
I am on CellC prepaid

On 1st Jan 2019 I purchased a one month 1Gb bundle
On 30th Jan (and every month) I purchase a R5 bundle before it expires
The data rolls over to the next month
Right now, 14 months along, I still have a 253mb balance

Works for me. Assume this would apply to MTN, etc

Gielie

Happily did the survey until it requested all of my personal info excluding an ID number. Nope. Nope nope nope.
I just put in my name (without surname). And then "NA" in all the other fields.

peterwyn

Data must roll over for at least a month. Must also use up previous month's data first.

markings

Expert Member
I have no problem with expiry dates if the period is reasonable, e.g. double the time I need to use up the data.
Rollover of unused data for another month or two. Such data to be used first.
I do not expect to get refunds for unused data, that would produce an unacceptable accounting burden to the provider, IMO.
If timeframes are reasonable it is not that difficult to manage ones data so that one does not lose too much, if anything.

mvww

For what my half-a-penny is worth. It seems unreasonable to have unending roll-over of data. How do the provider fund increase in operating costs? It is like expecting a never ending guarantee on cars, appliances, etc. Get a cheaper package so you can use your allocated data, that, will be a saving. Use it, don't use it.
You've got a point. But then at least let the roll over data be available for a reasonable time.

Status
Not open for further replies.