'Out of control' fire moves towards UCT after gutting part of Rhodes Memorial restaurant

rietrot

Honorary Master
You should get down there and help them out. I’m sure they’d be glad of your expert advice.
Bit late now.

Next time clear proper fire breaks around the buildings that you don't want to burn.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Wasn't there some neanderthal arsonists setting fires in Knysna a while back too? Common them down DA country way ..... opposition plays dirty

Cray

Honorary Master
I see. Now I’m not an expert like you, but I heard that embers can carry for over a km. So how big a fire break would you suggest?
In the middle of an urban area no less... :X3:

dj2381

Expert Member
I see. Now I’m not an expert like you, but I heard that embers can carry for over a km. So how big a fire break would you suggest?
Just train some fire fighting pigeons, they will grab the embers out of the air and drop them in the nearest water source.

Oldfut

Decolonistation at work; sponsored by the Winnie Mandela Foundation and the Lion Match Company. Sad reality.

SAguy

Executive Member
Bit late now.

Next time clear proper fire breaks around the buildings that you don't want to burn.
You know that UCT is literally on the mountain right? You want them to remove all trees from the mountain as a fire break?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
You know that UCT is literally on the mountain right? You want them to remove all trees from the mountain as a fire break?

Either that or move UCT.

But he won’t answer, I think he’s on his way down there to tell them what to do.

He’s an expert dontcha know.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Don't be stupid. Just because something can happen doesn't mean it always does. The chances of a building catching fire from a ember 1km away is nothing.

And it depends on what you want to do. You can have large trees, but then you need to maintain a larger area of short grass. You cannot just have natural bush straight up to the side of buildings. I happy consult on any specific project you might have in mind.

dj2381

Expert Member
Don't be stupid. Just because something can happen doesn't mean it always does. The chances of a building catching fire from a ember 1km away is nothing.

And it depends on what you want to do. You can have large trees, but then you need to maintain a larger area of short grass. You cannot just have natural bush straight up to the side of buildings. I happy consult on any specific project you might have in mind.
You do know the Library is in the middle of the campus right?