'Out of control' fire moves towards UCT after gutting part of Rhodes Memorial restaurant

buka001

Honorary Master
Ja no, much to your immense knowledge a fair chunk of waterproofing material that is used is HIGHLY combustible my son..
Actually, many materials that you think aren't combustible, actually are given the right set of circumstances.
Exactly.

buka001

Honorary Master
Right set of circumstances, like an already large fire right under it? Fsckoff troll.
Or a massive fire on the mountain adjacent to it?

Bitumen based waterproofing is used all over. It is flammable.

Your ignorance on that aspect, only serves to make your conjecture even more conspiratorial and irrelevant.

Nobody knows of the circumstances of what caught fire and how it caught fire.

Reminds me of all the idiotic takes when Notre-Dame caught fire.

Archer

Honorary Master
Neither of us know what was used on top of that roof, but your firebreaks would have made zero difference, they would have to strip the entire mountain with only rock and sand left to stop something like this happening.
Removal of trees / vegetation that is holding all the rocks and soil together on a mountainside that is regularly exposed to substantial rains? What could possibly go wrong?

Archer

Honorary Master

SAguy

Executive Member
Times like this I wish we'd go back 1000 years, at least when it comes to punishment for criminals
Burn arsonists at the stake in the village square dammit
Just put them in the way of the approaching fire that they started, nicely tied up and facing it. Last thing they see will be their handiwork.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Wasn't there some neanderthal arsonists setting fires in Knysna a while back too? Common them down DA country way ..... opposition plays dirty
No

Only a bunch of racist old oomies and tannies who spread fake voice notes on whatsapp.

There was never any evidence of arson and there never will be, because no arson was committed.

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Who said a lone ember? it could have been 100's, that rubber waterproofing could still go up in flames, I don't see many trees around that building to cause that much buildup in the gutters.
So a lone ember jumped all the way from where the bowling club is to main road which is about 300m or so (I'm assuming as this was the shortest distance).The video of the palm tree on fire happened where the arrow is.
Embers coming off the mountain onto the UCT library would only have to travel 20-30m

1618815246482.png

Solarion

Honorary Master
I had a punishment in my mind, but we can't burn people anymore.

Death by rocket launcher is so much more fun and you get to see the perp disappear in a flaming fiery inferno.

iu

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I had a punishment in my mind, but we can't burn people anymore.
Accidents happen - I think information gathering would be important though so some kind of helicopter ride would have to happen first.

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
No

Only a bunch of racist old oomies and tannies who spread fake voice notes on whatsapp.

There was never any evidence of arson and there never will be, because no arson was committed.

So the cops arrested someone for fun?
Racist oom and tannie cops at it?