'Out of control' fire moves towards UCT after gutting part of Rhodes Memorial restaurant

medicnick83

Paramedic
So a lone ember jumped all the way from where the bowling club is to main road which is about 300m or so (I'm assuming as this was the shortest distance).The video of the palm tree on fire happened where the arrow is.
Embers coming off the mountain onto the UCT library would only have to travel 20-30m

View attachment 1054811
Yeap, this can happen easily!

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Looking at that structure, I would assume much of it has been restored multiple times over the years to be honest, so most of it isn't original anymore anyway...

But, there definitely is a point to restore it, it is a historic building...
Yes, it from 1796. One of the oldest buildings in the country and the only windmill left from that time.

There is a private society that looks after the mill so will most likely be restored.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
No

Only a bunch of racist old oomies and tannies who spread fake voice notes on whatsapp.

There was never any evidence of arson and there never will be, because no arson was committed.
Hahaha...really? The people fighting those fires stated they suspected arson. Not ooms and tannies. They were trying to get away with their lives and what they could of their possessions.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Temperature over the next few days is set to remain in the mid to high 20's but the wind seems to be easing off a bit which will hopefully help. What a crazy situation!

deweyzeph

Executive Member
No questions on that front, the CPT/WC fire guys are pretty much the best equipped in the country in general purely because they have to deal with these sorts of fires almost annually.

I would even say that the wilderness firefighters in the Western Cape are some of the best in the world. I don't think that's an exaggeration.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Good news we like to see.

View attachment 1054807

On this front, I think its a generally South African thing, we all pull together in times of tragedy like this... I remember the efforts that happened during the fires in Knysna etc a few years ago, as well as that huge fire in Durban a good number of years ago. The communities pull together to help without question.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I would even say that the wilderness firefighters in the Western Cape are some of the best in the world. I don't think that's an exaggeration.

No questions on that front either, those guys get invited to go all over the world to help fight big wild fires because they bring amazing experience and skill with them.