'Out of control' fire moves towards UCT after gutting part of Rhodes Memorial restaurant

rambo919

Honorary Master
On this front, I think its a generally South African thing, we all pull together in times of tragedy like this... I remember the efforts that happened during the fires in Knysna etc a few years ago, as well as that huge fire in Durban a good number of years ago. The communities pull together to help without question.
The opposite is also true, when we fight we fight dirty.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
Hahaha...really? The people fighting those fires stated they suspected arson. Not ooms and tannies. They were trying to get away with their lives and what they could of their possessions.
I was there.
I was was sent the varies voice notes from dominees and ooms and tannies claiming they are chasing down people carrying cans of petrol.
Not one or two claims, but several claims constantly.

It helps nobody and nothing.

Instead of using their time and energy to help, they rather sit at home and spread kak.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
The City of Cape Town as a world class fire service. These guys are extremely well trained and have all the right tools for the job. No ANC tenders involved.

Weirdly enough, and just as a side note to this, Durban is the same.. World class fire service with the right tools and training. I know a few of the guys who are part of it.

genetic

Honorary Master
Weirdly enough, and just as a side note to this, Durban is the same.. World class fire service with the right tools and training. I know a few of the guys who are part of it.

Yeah, I heard something about Ethekwini's emergency rescue services being top notch too.

ES1

Took a drive there. Moerse flames. Loads of fire fighters / helis on the scene. My daughter goes to UCT educare and I am wondering if it will still be there tomorrow... It is the 'highest' building on the hill, close to Rhodes Memorial.

Are'nt you happy the fire started on a weekend. News keep saying a homeless person made a fire. (may be for heat or to cook something? I just wonder what happened to the homeless person...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Are'nt you happy the fire started on a weekend. News keep saying a homeless person made a fire. (may be for heat or to cook something? I just wonder what happened to the homeless person...

Homeless person would have vamoosed from the area when the fire got out of hand.

Sollie

Honorary Master

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Spare a thought for the muslim firefighters, they are exhausted working (Extra) hard today - and they only get to eat a decent meal after sunset (Ramadaan)

Food is one thing, I have no idea how a firefighter survives without drinking water!

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
In that case my bad.
No worries
I just got mad, because I know how bad a fire like this can be and how it affects people and then you have people sitting at home with nothing better to do than record fake voice notes.

Instead of remembering the chaos the Knysna fires caused, people remember the rumours surrounding it.

Kodi

Using tinder to find a date, maybe?

/Bad joke, bad timing, runs...