'Out of control' fire moves towards UCT after gutting part of Rhodes Memorial restaurant

Captain Beer

Executive Member
I know someone who was involved in its recent restoration and the latest paint was made the traditional way, with a certain crushed seashell giving it the white colour. Do you know if this has always been the case?
Sorry bud, I haven't got a clue but I'm sure the info is out there somewhere :thumbsup:

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
At least according to the Windy app, it looks like the next 24 - 48 hours will be under 5 knots around the mountain side at Devil's Peak.

Reactions: air

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
At least according to the Windy app, it looks like the next 24 - 48 hours will be under 5 knots around the mountain side at Devil's Peak.

Devil's Peak creates its own weather, and used to be called Windberg. It should be less windy, but don't take these apps literally. The forecast for Sunday showed minimal wind, and we all know what happened then. The upside is that there is very little left to burn, at least on that side of the mountain.

Edit: A big plus is that helicopters will be flying today.

Last edited:

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Devil's Peak creates its own weather, and used to be called Windberg. It should be less windy, but don't take these apps literally. The forecast for Sunday showed minimal wind, and we all know what happened then. The upside is that there is very little left to burn, at least on that side of the mountain.
Totally agree, I hiked around Devils Peak 6 weeks ago and when we near the top with Newlands Forest below us in the afternoon we were in a bit of shade. the wind was howling and it was icy cold, we all put on our warm tops and head gear. Freezing. When we got back to the car park at Rhodes Memorial later we were all in our normal baggies and t shirts again with no wind.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Totally agree, I hiked around Devils Peak 6 weeks ago and when we near the top with Newlands Forest below us in the afternoon we were in a bit of shade. the wind was howling and it was icy cold, we all put on our warm tops and head gear. Freezing. When we got back to the car park at Rhodes Memorial later we were all in our normal baggies and t shirts again with no wind.

Agreed - the saddle is like a world all unto it's own.

Few years ago the Mrs. and I nearly got into trouble when it clouded up with a vengeance. We came over from Newlands into the saddle. We just opted for whatever looked like it was going down and got to the contour and then made it back around to Rhodes Memorial Parking again. Fun times :)

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Agreed - the saddle is like a world all unto it's own.

Few years ago the Mrs. and I nearly got into trouble when it clouded up with a vengeance. We came over from Newlands into the saddle. We just opted for whatever looked like it was going down and got to the contour and then made it back around to Rhodes Memorial Parking again. Fun times :)
Ah yes I forgot to mention how it clouded up on my recent trip.
When we got to the summit the clouds started rolling in (the Table Mountain blanket as they call it).
1 second it was clear and beautiful and I would say in less than 4 minutes you could not see Table Mountain at all. Nothing. Gone.

We spent 20 minutes huddled around a corner low down trying to keep warm for about 20 odd minutes before we descended again. We looked in front and there was Table Mountain again as clear as anything.

Very weird weather patterns

saturnz

Honorary Master
the smoke is still very thick in the city bowl, I can barely see Lion's head

Cereal_Killer

Forging
Images from Hell: the grim morning of Cape Town’s fire

The burning of the University of Cape Town’s JW Jagger Library on 18 April could be one of South Africa’s greatest losses of memory.

Many of the most precious records housed at the building may have been protected at lower levels by the library’s fire doors, but huge collections of literature and records may have been destroyed.

Named after the bequeath of John William Jagger, an England-born tycoon and politician, who once served as Minister of Railways and Harbour in the cabinet of prime minister Jan Smuts, the Jagger library and reading room is home to a number of prominent archival collections. This includes parts of the 65,000-volume-strong African Studies collection and the African Film collection. The library may include parts of UCT’s government publications archive, and the School Textbook Collection.

Ujala Satgoor, executive director of the University of Cape Town’s Libraries, confirmed in a statement that the Reading Room of the Jagger Library had been “completely gutted” (as can be seen in the photo above).

air

Expert Member
Yep, today from a smoke perspective is much worse than yesterday - the helicopters are filling their bambi buckets right by DeWaal Park - I reckon every 75 seconds, maybe less.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
I don't know if this has been asked yet, but how did the Library burn, when it is in the middle of the campus, surrounded by many other buildings that were untouched? Did the fire teleport?

Grouter

Expert Member
I don't know if this has been asked yet, but how did the Library burn, when it is in the middle of the campus, surrounded by many other buildings that were untouched? Did the fire teleport?
Same way Mostert's Mill got hit - airborne embers, carried by the wind. Elementary my dear @Gaz{M} .

SeRpEnT

Executive Member

Ivy plants on the walls or something like that. On one of the most important buildings om the campus...

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
What he is asking is why did these embers prefer the library and miss dozens of other less important buildings.
Valid question.

True , but the mill had a thatch roof. The library, like most buildings, is made of stone and tiles. Nothing to catch fire.

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
True , but the mill had a thatch roof. The library, like most buildings, is made of stone and tiles. Nothing to catch fire.
Yeah heaven knows why they don't have some super-duper protection cover for thatch roofs in this day and age yet. Just an accident waiting to happen.

rambo919

Honorary Master
There is always the remote possibility that someone left a window open..... but that is assuming there are windows to easily open in the first place.