Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
The solution is not to implement AARTO. The current system works just fine, we just need better enforcement of existing laws.
So they have no counter solutions. check. (of course there would be unless they already think the current system is working as it should/is perfect)

deweyzeph

Executive Member
As an example, Mkalipi said that companies that are in the business of selling vehicles on credit are one of Aarto’s supporters.

This is because it will allow them to screen prospective buyers and see which drivers are high risk before they sell them a vehicle on contract, he said.

This is the funniest thing I've read all day. Vehicle finance companies don't give a crap about your driving record. They couldn't care less if you write your car off the moment you leave the showroom floor. They just care that you're able to pay back your loan. What your driving ability has to do with that I have no idea.

neoprema

Executive Member
This will not bring to book any of the actual people causing the problem. It will just cause the rich to pay more to get something and the ones who can't afford it will suffer for doing something relatively benign from a safety point of view.

neoprema

Executive Member
This is the funniest thing I've read all day. Vehicle finance companies don't give a crap about your driving record. They couldn't care less if you write your car off the moment you leave the showroom floor. They just care that you're able to pay back your loan. What your driving ability has to do with that I have no idea.
So Banks will have access to your Aarto info? I mean other than just Vehicle info this is about you, the individual.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...

Pretty much...

Insurance companies will care of course, because it gives them a nice historic record of your driving "ability" within the realms of the law as determined by whichever traffic cop is having a poor day or needing a bit of lunch money.

Reactions: D4N

quovadis

Executive Member
If OUTA want to challenge AARTO they should simply seek a court order to allow demerit points but cancel fines then as having demerit points and fines simultaneously for the same offense is overly punitive and excessive. I’m sure government would much rather keep the fines…

grok

Honorary Master
I don't pay my fines but I like this law, all that'll happen is we'll pay cash for offenses from now on. Like a friend says, hi officer, my paperwork? Sure here is my license and here is my R-200 form..

Sapphiron

Expert Member
Points system to taking repeat offenders vehicles away from them - :thumbsup:

All the procedural nonsense and shortcuts that end up in a corrupt and ineffective system - :thumbsdown:

Sapphiron

Expert Member
In theory yes, but much of the money the vehicle finance companies make is when people can't pay, and they can repo and sell (or finance) the car to another person. Ends up adding a few percent to their net profit (a few billion or so)

If the person crashes it, there is nothing to sell, so they are more likely to default on a larger part of the loan.

Herr der Verboten

Honorary Master
If OUTA want to challenge AARTO they should simply seek a court order to allow demerit points but cancel fines then as having demerit points and fines simultaneously for the same offense is overly punitive and excessive. I’m sure government would much rather keep the fines…
They probably haven't removed their tails from their behinds after loosing in court to etolls. So now we blab from teh-sideline...

Last edited:

Juice

Expert Member
Their case study presentation literally has the word "might" in it... twice. ‍:facepalm:

That might make the research definitive. Maybe. Right?

Swa

Honorary Master
In theory yes, but much of the money the vehicle finance companies make is when people can't pay, and they can repo and sell (or finance) the car to another person. Ends up adding a few percent to their net profit (a few billion or so)

If the person crashes it, there is nothing to sell, so they are more likely to default on a larger part of the loan.
You can't get finance without insurance in any case. Finance houses don't give a crap about your driving behaviour because if something happens they're not the ones in a pickle.

furpile

Expert Member
Despite a pilot version of Aarto being implemented in Gauteng, there was no change in the number of fatal crashes in the provinces over ten years, the Western Cape argued.

However, Mkalipi noted that demerit points were not part of the pilot in Gauteng.

You therefore can’t conclude that Aarto doesn’t reduce road fatalities if the main mechanism for reducing them hasn’t been implemented yet.

So why have a pilot project that is missing the main reason for implementing the system?

victory321

Eish, nothing works anymore, yet they want to come up with systems that burden everyone even more!

Lupus

Honorary Master
This was supposed to go live in 2002... 19 years later, so the digital TV rollout will be 6 years time?

RedViking

Nord of the South
E-Tolls didn't fail, same way SAA hasn't failed or SAPO. Those who are getting rich from these schemes are getting richer. Million and Billion rand tenders. Richer. Structures destroyed. More power. More corruption. More money to the elect.

If you think they do this because they want to improve on something.... Pfft.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Everything the anc does, except stealing and corruption, fails.

krycor

Honorary Master
I’d love to see people pull a eToll approach at a road block.

Will be taking lots of popcorn to watch roadblocks.. perhaps they should record it so we can watch people try and fight cops when they impound vehicles. Nice ol defeating/obstructing course of justice etc.

Gonna be fun as this is go round as it won’t end well.