Over 50% of South African shoppers have had their payment credentials compromised

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Over 50% of South African shoppers have had their payment credentials compromised

Online shopping has become one of the most popular activities on the Internet, but it also places shoppers at risk of having their financial information compromised.

According to a surbey conducted by Kaspersky Lab, 53% of South Africans have had their banking credentials fall into the wrong hands, despite 97% of them being aware of financial cyber threats.

Sollie

Expert Member
Actually all these figures are thumb suck. How do we know really what our local cyber threat level is? What official cyber crime stats do we have? SAPS chases vics away - "civil case". In some forms of cyber crimes, most vics do not even report cyber crimes, too ashamed or not deeming it worth it. Tbh, cyber does not officially happen in South Africa ...

The USA, CA, UK, EU, Aus, NZ, Far East, Middle East, India, South America .... can't keep up with cyber crime. Tbh, we are royally screwed. Imagine some ants trying to stop Hannibal. We have less of a chance locally.

Off course at this stage some may gasp for breathe in shock , saying "I know how to protect myself!"

Yes, you may. But does your ISP, mail provider, municipality, online XXXXX store ... ? How can a replacement credit card be used before it even reaches the owner? Debit order scams? How many data breaches have we had of late?

Fact is South Africans are royally screwed.

fernandoblazin

No you can't completely secure yourself but but can create hurdles just for protection, secondly no one can be trusted makes life easier once you accept that and humans are an inherent flaw exploited with social engineering

Ryansr

Expert Member
Have two step verification on important accounts and also run a VPN constantly as well as run some Antivirus and even have Trusteer Rapport running also in the background.

Most importantly to me is to know how to recognize the danger signs when online (if not using https protocol on a site, then you run a risk) and how to properly use your network firewall to keep out uninvited guests. I also love to use Avast Passwords guardian to assess my passwords and then change it for those sensitive accounts based on the assessment.

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Have two step verification on important accounts and also run a VPN constantly as well as run some Antivirus and even have Trusteer Rapport running also in the background.

Most importantly to me is to know how to recognize the danger signs when online (if not using https protocol on a site, then you run a risk) and how to properly use your network firewall to keep out uninvited guests. I also love to use Avast Passwords guardian to assess my passwords and then change it for those sensitive accounts based on the assessment.
you are missing the point. this isn't about how you protect yourself, but how other companies that you trust with information in order to buy stuff protect your information.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Well they have my ID, email and phone number and whatever else Visa, Absa, FNB, PnP, Insurance, Clicks, Woolies, Transunion sold to their trusted 3rd party partners.

They don't have my login or password credentials.