RueLiz

SOS I feel like l am being overcharged in my prepaid meter is this normal? I pay R2.92 per kWh, and l live in Lyndhurst. My household is just 2 adults and a 5yr old. We are at school & work all day, no tv or radio, small fridge & really only cook 1meal a day. Geyser is switched on only for a maximum of an hr 20 mins a day or less but we spend about 1000 rands of electricity per month. Residence is a 1 bedroom cottage with small lounge & kitchen. 172A0A1F-340D-411E-AB58-17C7678C93C7.jpeg

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I think it is extreme, but l would like to hear from others so l know lm not overreacting.
It looks like it's those private meters, that's the problem, apparently the landlord is free to collude with the meter supplier and they charge you ridiculous amounts. I was paying just over R1.6 per unit from City Power on the old meters, landlord changed to private prepaid and we now paying R2.2 per unit.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
So at this complex we stay in I've had to deal with two different prepaid electricity providers and both seem to be charging obscene amounts.

The first we paid and got a set amount of units. So obviously you do the R/kW calculation and ended up with a R2.52+ / kW amount. I knew they were taking 10-15% as an admin fee but that was it.

Then we switched and got a more detailed invoice:

If you pay R1000
  • 15% goes to the prepaid company: -R150
  • Eskom charged an access fee of R3 (approx) a day. So if you buy once a month that's -R90
  • What's left over (R760) gets is used to buy actual kWh at whatever the rate is for that area
If you do that same calculation on R760/kWh rather than R1000/kWh you'll find your per unit cost is more inline with what should be charged. All that other bullshit is what kills you.

When the new company installed their meters I haven't bought power in quite a while and decided to pay R200 just to test it. For that R200 about R45 was used for actual power - the rest all "admin/connection" costs. I was ****ing LIVID until I figured out what was going on, then I became ****ing DEPRESSED.

RueLiz

Oh my word, how can tenants avoid being overcharged by both private prepaid & landlords. This kinda system leaves tenants open to abuse, aren’t there any mechanisms to protect tenants within the legal system?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Using you slip above:
R600 - 15%
R510 - R3x 30 days (assuming)
178.7 kWh / R420 = R2.35 per kWh

RueLiz

So at this complex we stay in I've had to deal with two different prepaid electricity providers and both seem to be charging obscene amounts.

The first we paid and got a set amount of units. So obviously you do the R/kW calculation and ended up with a R2.52+ / kW amount. I knew they were taking 10-15% as an admin fee but that was it.

If you pay R1000
  • Eskom charged an access fee of R3 (approx) a day. So if you buy once a month that's -R90
  • What's left over (R760) gets is used to buy actual kWh at whatever the rate is for that area
If you do that same calculation on R760/kWh rather than R1000/kWh you'll find your per unit cost is more inline with what should be charged. All that other bullshit is what kills you.

When the new company installed their meters I haven't bought power in quite a while and decided to pay R200 just to test it. For that R200 about R45 was used for actual power - the rest all "admin/connection" costs. I was ****ing LIVID until I figured out what was going on, then I became ****ing DEPRESSED.
this ain’t right!! How can we survive??

Hamster

Resident Rodent
this ain’t right!! How can we survive??

Short of getting the geyser changed to something more efficient - move. Many sectional schemes bundle the utility costs. In Douglasdale I paid R400 pm for 6 years for both water and electricity.

Oh, and check if waiting your geyser o and off really helps. Models differ but with ours I found it makes absolutely no difference switching it off unless we are gone for three or more days.

RueLiz

Shucks either way you are f****d, l have noted that the geyser draws quite a lot of power when it’s on, which is why we only switch it on in the morning for an hr & the rest of the day it’s off. Earlier last year & for about 4yrs back l lived in a flat with postpaid electricity & my highest electricity bill was about R1500 in winter & With a geyser that was always on, with more appliances in use.
In Douglasdale were you on prepaid or post paid?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
That's illegal. Report it to nersa. And hope they actually do something.
If it was they'd all be out of business by now, surely.

My understanding is that her landlord cannot charge her more for electricity than he is being charged, but since it is prepaid she is buying from a supplier.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
If it was they'd all be out of business by now, surely.

My understanding is that her landlord cannot charge her more for electricity than he is being charged, but since it is prepaid she is buying from a supplier.
Suppliers are not allowed to charge outside the nersa rules either.

I have a submeter for my cottage. It's a fkn pain, I subsidize the tenants because they buy at the lowest block tariff but for me the consumption is on top of my own, so it's at the highest block.
But that's what the law says I have to do in this situation.

maumau

Honorary Master

If you pay R1000

Can't the trustees get involved or are they the ones loading the price?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Using you slip above:
R600 - 15%
R510 - R3x 30 days (assuming)
178.7 kWh / R420 = R2.35 per kWh
What? Never heard of Eskom charging a R3 access fee. Is this Johannesburg?

Purply

Expert Member
I'm sitting with the same problem, have a factory unit at which we only buy small amount of electricity maybe 4 - 6 times yearly.

Bought R300's worth this morning, got 22.9 units in return.