OVHD decoder end of life (E04)

TPM

Open view needs to COMPENSATE viewers by OFFERING A DISCOUNT when they return the od decoder and buy a new one. Surely they can use these decoders elsewhere. THEY SHOULD BE HEAVILY FINED FOR MISLEADING ADVERTISING and the money should be used to subsidize new decoders.

Danie_V

I understand old tech does not operate forever like cell towers want to switch off 2G at some point, but maybe Openview could also be clearer and explain exactly what new features are coming that cannot be supported. In other words, exactly why, otherwise there is suspicion that it's a money grab. We've certainly seen with older Android phones, that in fact newer version of Android (through LineageOS) will work on them, and that is a case of OEM's deliberately not wanting to support those phones. So let Openview users understand what and why.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
It is nothing more than open view not wanting to support the older decoders anymore.
They don't have to do any sw updates beyond the capability of the decoders. The decision can be simple. Just tell customers what additional services are not supported on the older decoders. This BS is ONLY for their benefit.
What they fail to do at the moment is tell the market which decoder should be purchased. They have not provided any indication of which decoder should NOT be bought now as a replacement or otherwise. It means that you could go and buy a replacement today only to find that one also declared obsolete tomorrow.
Nothing less than a public declaration of which decoders are obsolete and on what dates will suffice.
A declaration that ALL obsolete decoders have been removed from the shelves, plus an exchange program plus a discount on a swap is also required.
Then to complete the process a public declaration of which decoders are now the ones to buy.

Last edited:

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
tbh I'm just about willing to pay for a new decoder to get rid of the f-ing annoying b-mail icon that never goes away on mine

there is no mail, when you check the inbox it is empty and the icon goes away, go back to normal viewing and the icon returns immediately ... thank god I almost never watch TV anyway, the irritating icon is usually just noticed when CR scolds us with one of his Sunday evening sermons

EDIT: well f-me, seems that bug was actually fixed with a software update from Jan 2020

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
This is why people are moving to streaming services. Not offering any more upgrades for obsolete tech is one thing but it's another to render it useless for services that do in fact still work the same on the newer models.

WalkWithMe

This is why people are moving to streaming services. Not offering any more upgrades for obsolete tech is one thing but it's another to render it useless for services that do in fact still work the same on the newer models.
Nah, for now monthly cost or data, this is very popular with many.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I have to wonder if Openview is tanking old decoders to push its EVOD thing and this "Openview Connect" thing:
“Customers will have to replace the decoders to enjoy uninterrupted support, PVR compatibility and all the benefits of Openview Connect. Hence the E04 message.”

Presumably Openview Connect is a new broadband service of sorts that Openview is pushing, probably one of those value added bundled things that locks people in to a single service provider for several services that they couldn't be arsed to migrate away from (complacency).

Reactions: Swa

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I have to wonder if Openview is tanking old decoders to push its EVOD thing and this "Openview Connect" thing:

Presumably Openview Connect is a new broadband service of sorts that Openview is pushing, probably one of those value added bundled things that locks people in to a single service provider for several services that they couldn't be arsed to migrate away from (complacency).

Details on Openview Connect are scarce, but from what I can see it's mobile data thing and you get 10GB once off and have to top up with Vodacom data when you need more.

wrinklyo

What happened to pay once, then it's free forever? As per below and:

You only have to pay once for your combination of a decoder, dish, and installation; there are no contracts and, most importantly, No Monthly Fees!"
They are big fat filthy liars. If they promise you free forever then according to their promise they should replace your decoder free of charge. It was their stupid decision to change everything else to make your decoder obsolete. You did nothing wrong. Shame on them. I hope they go bankrupt and the fleas of a thousand camels infest every orifice of their bodies.

j4ck455

Executive Member
Details on Openview Connect are scarce, but from what I can see it's mobile data thing and you get 10GB once off and have to top up with Vodacom data when you need more.

Yes, the Premium EVOD is tied to MTN!

So Openview Connect is tied to Vodacom?
And Premium EVOD is tied to MTN?

EVOD does not roll off the tongue nicely, I keep thinking EVIL when I see EVOD.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The decoder models appear to be The NA9200 and the DSD4165

Have tried a few times to get a response from OVHD to confirm but they just don't respond to messages.

rh1

Expert Member
Mshengu68 I sympathize with you. None of the advise given above is usefull.
Factory reset does not work.
OVHD tells you to use the USSD functionality to clear error messages or re-activate your decoder but neither functionality works. They do however charge you for trying. They reply with the function didn't work, please try again later.
Neither do they reply to the Whatsapp help line. The email response is an automated reply which also doesn't help to solve the problem.
This is the complete opposite of customer service.
Maybe this is time to give SA television a complete miss and dump the decoder in the bin.
Good luck with solving your E04 error.
What I did a few years ago. My issue was it would update OTA, and would not work, I had to reset a few time before it would, started pulling the plug out to prevent it from updating, and one day just never plugged it back in again. Agree with non existent support.

Magandroid

Expert Member
The decoder models appear to be The NA9200 and the DSD4165

Have tried a few times to get a response from OVHD to confirm but they just don't respond to messages.
If you mean that the NA9200 is one of the models that stops working then I don't think so. I see that many of the stores is still selling the NA9200. I don't know if any other models are available.
Also, I checked my NA9200 deocoders recently and none of them received a B-Mail to indicate that I have to get a new decoder.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If you mean that the NA9200 is one of the models that stops working then I don't think so. I see that many of the stores is still selling the NA9200. I don't know if any other models are available.
Also, I checked my NA9200 deocoders recently and none of them received a B-Mail to indicate that I have to get a new decoder.
Sorry, no these are the two models that work, not the obsolete ones.

rambo919

Honorary Master
I inherited my grandma's NA9200 and it keeps throwing out error 200..... at least it seems it's not one of the bricked models....

How in the hell can they keep selling these things when their support is so terrible?