OVHD + KODI IPTV + Supersport Streaming as a DSTV ALTERNATIVE!

Proton

Hey peeps,

Ok I know its been mentioned probably a million times and everyone is looking for a DSTV Alternative as its just too damm expensive... well what do you guys think.. I think I have a good workaround for us poor peeps out there...

1) OVHD - Open View HD = R499 once off- no monthly subscription (sollution for all local tv channels)
2) PC connected to tv running KODI with IPTV for most premium and overseas channels for free
3) using Supersport web streaming also through tv for all SS Channels

SO, in fact you would have much more!

What I personally have is a dedicated PC next to my tv (basic pc) that is permanently connected on my network and to tv, using a usb point mouse/keyboard that looks like a tv remote, and it works great. I also pay R500 pm for my 20gb ADSL package..

currently I have dstv but only the family package.. cost R199 pm.. but If I get the OVHD it will cost R499 once off and nothing else pm. So then I would rather spend the extra R250 pm and get uncapped ADSL to view as much IPTV and even things as Netflix or Hulu over the web....

What do you guys think, and does anyone have any experience wit OVHD?

LINK: http://www.openviewhd.co.za/channels/

Pho3nix

The Legend
SS online is only for premium subscribers with Explorer.
Open to correction though.

Proton

Any premium subscribers... And they are allowed to view on 4 screens simultaneously. This was told to me by dstv. So Im using my Sister's username as she has premium

Shalin_ZN

Expert Member
Any premium subscribers... And they are allowed to view on 4 screens simultaneously. This was told to me by dstv. So Im using my Sister's username as she has premium

Can you clarify this? As in 4 streams at the same time with the same Connect ID details, or can I make 4 Connect ID's from a single Smart Card/DSTV account?

Proton

Im not sure.. The way I understood it was that the same connect ID could be used on 4 different devices and im sure he said at the same time.. Can't really remember exactly.. But i have been using it and haven't had issues....

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I hate PCs and keyboards and crap cluttering up my living room. Looks very unsightly, amateurish and out of place in a home theatre environment. Would much rather get a Roku and pay for a Sky Sports subscription or something...

Proton

In the middle is my keyboard +mouse in one... Where is the cluttering?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1430691684128.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430691684128.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 5,349

Proton

I hate PCs and keyboards and crap cluttering up my living room. Looks very unsightly, amateurish and out of place in a home theatre environment. Would much rather get a Roku and pay for a Sky Sports subscription or something...
ROFL ok alrighty then.... if you say so... Oh and btw I even put my pc on and off with that...

But each for their own my bud

Shalin_ZN

Expert Member

I hear the black market is giving incredible prices for working kidneys.

Shalin_ZN

Expert Member
Im not sure.. The way I understood it was that the same connect ID could be used on 4 different devices and im sure he said at the same time.. Can't really remember exactly.. But i have been using it and haven't had issues....

Asking coz if I try to stream on my phone while I'm streaming on the Fire TV, I get an error on my phone saying that the account is already in use and only one stream at a time. Well, something along those lines.

Proton

Dont think that looks too K@K for now... Maybe its just me being Amateurish lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1430692078150.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1430692078150.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 5,342

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
If you have to use a keyboard and mouse for your tv then you're doing it wrong. There are slicker ways to accomplish what you want to do.

Btw, you still need a premium subscription + pvr subscription to access the SuperSport online stream - using somebody else's doesn't count since Multichoice is still being paid. The goal is to get people to move away from them...

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Dont think that looks too K@K for now... Maybe its just me being Amateurish lol
Yeah you're right, who am I to argue about style, form and function with a guy who willingly bought those speakers... :p

Proton

3 people moving away from them using 1 person's account = progress in the direction of them coming back down to earth I think... Its a start...

And with regards to the pc.. I realize that you can stream via media center or that there are other ways also, but I have my reasons for the setup I have.. This is the way I have it set up and it works for me... I dont care about being "slick"... Its all good for me till I hit the next curb...

Wife and I use my setup for the occasional FB and online browsing as well as other online entertainment.

Shalin_ZN

Expert Member
If you have to use a keyboard and mouse for your tv then you're doing it wrong. There are slicker ways to accomplish what you want to do.

Btw, you still need a premium subscription + pvr subscription to access the SuperSport online stream - using somebody else's doesn't count since Multichoice is still being paid. The goal is to get people to move away from them...

Pretty sure he said he uses an Air Mouse. That's what I use on my Fire TV, doesn't really get more slick than that.

My goal is to watch Real Madrid and Man Utd play football, in decent quality, without interruption. That is it. When I qualify, I'll gladly play DSTV half my salary to watch that in HD, without the exchange congestion during a Champions League semi final.