Owe on Rent. Do I have rights?

Matt91

But surely the whole cause of this situation is because your company hasn't paid you what's due - surely there must be some recourse?

Are the fat-cats at the top also having money kept from them? Doesn't seem right that someone who's done their work and fulfilled their duties gets shafted like this and there's nothing to be done about it.

gamer16

Honorary Master
Can't you get a letter from your employer stating their issues so that you can show this to your landlord?

thehuman

Expert Member
Morning everyone.

To cut a long story short, I owe a month's rent due to financial issues at the company I work at.

The landlord requested I pay the amount or I need to vacate the premises at the end of this month.

I've been renting for a year and this is the first time I've owed on rent.

I have confirmed that my employer won't be able to assist and I'm left with my balls in hands.

Do I have any rights in this situation?
Or am I stuffed?

Thanks.
If work doesn't want to pay, maybe it time to move your stuff to work and sleep there .
Your boss will get a heart attack tho

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Can't you get a letter from your employer stating their issues so that you can show this to your landlord?
OP, needs to take the letter he received from his landlord, take it to his HR department and inform them that he will institute legal action at the Labour Court if his salary is not paid by the 7th - assuming he was supposed to get paid by 31 January.

If the company is completely screwed, they will either ignore his threat or direct it to the company which is dealing with its liquidation.

zerocool2009

Expert Member
I honestly feel for the landlord. I was in a situation exactly the same as yours (but in the landlord's shoes). I gave the tenant 4 months to pay, and in month 5 he moved out.

If you cant pay, start packing (no jokes)

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
I honestly feel for the landlord. I was in a situation exactly the same as yours (but in the landlord's shoes). I gave the tenant 4 months to pay, and in month 5 he moved out.

Tenant stayed 4 months rent free??

Matt91

Yeah my parents rented out their house to their "best friends" (friends for over 20 years). They paid for the first 3 months and after that stayed for about 7 or 8 months months rent-free - nothing my parents could do to get them to leave as her 78y/o mother was staying with them. Eventually my folks managed to get them out but lost around ~R90K in rent AND still had to cover the bond. Needless to say that friendship is no more.

blunt

Expert Member
I had a tenant who stayed rent free in my flat for a year because of how long it takes to legally evict someone. Don't worry.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I'm not disagreeing with any post in this thread.

I just want to do the right thing, but I feel I would be wasting money and time trying to get through this.

In an ideal world I would have another job and better pay.

It's a long story, but I didn't even want to live in this fkn one horse town.
I'm just peeved.

Freddl

Yeah my parents rented out their house to their "best friends" (friends for over 20 years). They paid for the first 3 months and after that stayed for about 7 or 8 months months rent-free - nothing my parents could do to get them to leave as her 78y/o mother was staying with them. Eventually my folks managed to get them out but lost around ~R90K in rent AND still had to cover the bond. Needless to say that friendship is no more.
I had a similar situation with the difference being that I sued my 'friend'. At first he laughed at me but the moment he realised that he was blacklisted and could not rent a house or buy a new car, he quickly offered to pay back the money.

I forced him to deal with the lawyer only so for the past year this guy pays every month. The lawyer charges him 10 percent on every installment while I get back every cent he owes me including the initial legal cost. He will be paying for the next 2 years and the total cost will be more than double the rent he did not pay.

MirageF1

Expert Member
Which all goes to show that owning/renting out property has huge risks associated with it.

Proceed with caution ( people are inherently dishonest by nature when pushed into a corner by their own or others doing and will use the law to their benefit in all cases )

zerocool2009

Expert Member
I must say, its a two way street. In the game, no lunch for free either. But again, show me any investment where you get 100% what you have put in after month 1 ? (next I will get replies like, YES, if they pay).

maumau

Honorary Master
If I'm honest with myself I don't know if I will have the money available to pay what's due.
I'll have to face the inevitable then.
My credit is stuffed from these financial issues and I'm unable to make loans.
How much are we talking here? Thousands, tens of thousands?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Which all goes to show that owning/renting out property has huge risks associated with it.

Proceed with caution ( people are inherently dishonest by nature when pushed into a corner by their own or others doing and will use the law to their benefit in all cases )
You and I have a moral compass pointing in the direction of True North.

There's a very real risk of putting a tenant into your place, they only pay for one month and then never pay again in the six months it takes you to get an eviction order granted.

For this reason I sold my house in 2017 (I could have rented it out), became a tenant myself for a year, and then bought my current house.

Last edited:

MirageF1

Expert Member
You and I have a moral compass pointing in the direction of True North.

There's a very real risk of putting a tenant into your place, they only pay for one month and then never pay again in the six months it takes you to get an eviction order granted.

For this reason I sold my house in 2017, became a tenant myself for a year, and then bought my current house.
TBH I'd rather burn my house to the ground than have some filthy, low life scum ( or family) destroy my property/ refuse to pay rent/refuse to leave when requested whilst I had to stand by and watch it all being pissed over.

I realise people rent out their properties for a myriad of reasons ( mainly financial/investment) but for me the risk and aggravation is just not worth it.