P&G Challenges Men to Shave Their ‘Toxic Masculinity’ in Gillette Ad

One of the manliest brands in men’s products has hit on an unusual strategy for divided times: Questioning “toxic masculinity.”

Gillette, the Procter & Gamble Co. brand that for three decades has used the tagline, “The Best A Man Can Get,” is building a new campaign around the #MeToo movement, a risky approach that will be the latest test of how successfully big consumer brands can navigate tricky social movements.

The ad, created by the brand’s ad agency Grey and titled “We Believe,” opens with audio of news about the #MeToo movement, bullying and “toxic masculinity.” A narrator goes on to dispute the notion that “boys will be boys,” asking, “Is this the best a man can get? Is it? We can’t hide from it. It has been going on far too long. We can’t laugh it off, making the same old excuses.”

“This is an important conversation happening, and as a company that encourages men to be their best, we feel compelled to both address it and take action of our own,” said Pankaj Bhalla, Gillette brand director for North America, in an emailed statement. “We are taking a realistic look at what’s happening today, and aiming to inspire change by acknowledging that the old saying ‘Boys Will Be Boys’ is not an excuse.”

But in a sign of the risks Gillette is taking, the ad quickly provoked passionate rebukes online.

“The video is sad and depressing while putting ALL men in a bad light,” oneTwitter user wrote. “Men aren’t just waking up to bad things that are going on. There have always been good men. Bad ones too, yes, but the same can be said about women.”

The new Gillette ad was meant to inspire positive behavior but spends too much time exposing the behavior that men have been criticized for, said Susan Cantor, chief executive of branding firm RedPeak. “Men are saying, we feel marginalized, criticized and accused rather than feeling inspired empowered and encouraged.”
https://www.wsj.com/articles/p-g-ch...-toxic-masculinity-in-gillette-ad-11547467200

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
That is a really good advert. I'm not a fan of business getting involved in these kind of campaigns because it all too often ends up being more self-serving than serving the cause, but this isn't too bad. At least it is provoking discussion, and they should ignore the backlash from those who refuse to acknowledge that the world is changing.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I think it is a very tastefully done and beautifully produced ad with a overall beautiful message.

But yes....I do think it is a very fine line to navigate. It is a balancing act....giving a message that "as men....let's try and be better" as opposed to "all men are rapists and bullies and generally pieces of sh#t".....which many feminists and other groups are doing which can create a backlash and resentment from the many good men out there.

But as for this ad specifically.....I think they got it right.

PoppieChoffel

It's a positive message overall, but I can see how men feel called out in this. Hopefully everyone can take the positive from it, rather than focusing on the highlighted negativity.

KT-B

Honorary Master
It is a touching ad - very well done. Nice to see a company taking a different perspective - not an accusatory one but one of personal improvement. Hopefully, men will feel the same way about it.

Haven't read the whole article at https://www.apa.org/monitor/2019/01/ce-corner.aspx but it definitely is about time. Do you know that male suicides are higher now than they have ever been? The correct help needs to be made available.

1547530951345.png
https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

The below is a bit old but it is still scary

1547531035918.png
https://africacheck.org/reports/5facts-sad-extent-suicide-south-africa/

PS - I don't understand that Both column.

Last edited:

KT-B

Honorary Master
I am curious to know why you are offended by the ad? I had a feeling some people would be - just curious as to what aspects make it offensive.

KT-B

Honorary Master
To be a gentleman is part of good upbringing and part of traditional masculinity.
I think the problem comes from bad parenting. Many kids today have absent parents or broken families. There are toxic relationships between separated parents and they are not respectful to each other in front of the kids. I have seen how some of my friends talk about their exes without realising the kids can overhear.

C4Cat

Executive Member
It is a touching ad - very well done. Nice to see a company taking a different perspective - not an accusatory one but one of personal improvement. Hopefully, men will feel the same way about it.

Haven't read the whole article at https://www.apa.org/monitor/2019/01/ce-corner.aspx but it definitely is about time. Do you know that male suicides are higher now than they have ever been? The correct help needs to be made available.

View attachment 603650
https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

The below is a bit old but it is still scary

View attachment 603654
https://africacheck.org/reports/5facts-sad-extent-suicide-south-africa/

PS - I don't understand that Both column.
I don't understand the Total column :unsure:

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
I think the problem comes from bad parenting. Many kids today have absent parents or broken families. There are toxic relationships between separated parents and they are not respectful to each other in front of the kids. I have seen how some of my friends talk about their exes without realising the kids can overhear.
Bad parenting indeed. I see it everywhere. And many, many absent parents

C4Cat

Executive Member
I don't understand the Total column :unsure:
Now you have really lost me. Brain clearly hasn't started yet
Ok, I get it now, it's per 100000 of the specified population.
So 20 per 100000 African men plus 3 per 100000 African woman is 23 per 200000 African people (both) or 11.5 per 100000. They dropped the decimal to show 11

KT-B

Honorary Master
Ok, I get it now, it's per 100000 of the specified population.
So 20 per 100000 African men plus 3 per 100000 African woman is 23 per 200000 African people or 11.5 per 100000
So there weren't 100000 people then. So actually fewer committed suicide?
Forgive me if I am really being dumb.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Now you have really lost me. Brain clearly hasn't started yet
They averaged the value for the male and female columns but then didn't include the fraction when the sum is odd...row 2 should be (15 + 4) / 2 = 9.5 but they show it as 9.