P&G Challenges Men to Shave Their ‘Toxic Masculinity’ in Gillette Ad

DMNknight

Expert Member
To me it all makes sense and fits in.

We agree on it all, we just differ on the interpretation.
I've expressed it over and over again. The overall nuance and message of the advert is good but the message is lost with the under the table dagger to my ribs.
"Boys will be Boys" is not an excuse for bullying, it's a shake of the head and a wistful smile at the pile of bodies and limbs causing such a ruckus outside... or a 5 year old launching himself at his dad who pretends to fall over in a massive tackle, both man and child being "boys" in a wrestling match on the floor.

These are the things that are good about "Boys being boys" and should be celebrated as such because it leads to healthy well adjusted adults.

What Gillette has allowed and what the producer slipped in there, is not something I will let slide.

DMNknight

Expert Member
The instant this psycho's mug appears is the instant where any sane person should realise there's a malicious agenda at play here (as though it wasn't confirmed from the start).
My first reaction to the advert was completely "oh hey, nice advert" because I didn't immediately recognise the face. Once recognition set in, I took a deeper look.

konfab

Honorary Master
The instant this psycho's mug appears is the instant where any sane person should realise there's a malicious agenda at play here (as though it wasn't confirmed from the start).
I wonder if the woke folk at the Young Turks would classify the Armenian Genocide as "Toxic Masculinity"?

Techne

Honorary Master
At least we can be reasonably sure that her genes will be a Darwinian dead end. These types are very efficient at killing off their own progeny.

Last edited:

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
At least we can be reasonably sure that her genes will be a Darwinian dead. These types are very efficient at killing off their own progeny.
Don't know man. She looks like the kind of woman who would demand to be impregnated when she feels that the time is right.
There's something about the way that she rants in that second clip that's kind of sexy. I nearly got a semi the way she said 'I'll rather be a sjw than a piece of shitt". The tone of your post makes me think that you feel the same.

Techne

Honorary Master
Don't know man. She looks like the kind of woman who would demand to be impregnated when she feels that the time is right.
There's something about the way that she rants in that second clip that's kind of sexy. I nearly got a semi the way she said 'I'll rather be a sjw than a piece of shitt". The tone of your post makes me think that you feel the same.
Lol, not too bright that one... thinking there is a difference. Good thing the birth rate among tards is quite low.

noxibox

Honorary Master
So when JP puts out a you tube video saying that people to clean up their rooms that's not a stereotype...?

Or perhaps he is only directing his message at those that need discipline, those that aren't already disciplined? Much like Gillette may only be directing it's message at those that tolerate bullying and harassment?
In other words the Gillette advert was ill-conceived or simply very poorly executed.

But who would Jordan Peterson be stereotyping in this particular case? Humans perhaps? I think he does stereotype on certain topics. He does come in for a lot of criticism. Some of it is going to be entirely justified because the guy says a lot of completely unsubstantiated things.

But, you seem to not notice all the other holes in your narrative. JP is a Professor of Psychology at the University of Toronto, a clinical psychologist, a public speaker, and an author. He is loved because people want to listen to his self help advise. He is also a political commentator. People have spoken out about how JP's words have helped them with their own lives and interpersonal relationships. Gillette is a corporate which sells razors.
Strictly speaking Jordan Peterson is now a business.

Because a person who cannot even have the discipline to clean their own room should not be engaging with politics with a view of reorganising society and its economic system. One cannot change the world or make it a better place when he/she is profoundly neglectful in their own lives.
You and Jordan Peterson might believe this, but that doesn't make it true.

JP is saying that before we can be responsible individuals, we need to sort out ourselves first. Start with the self and then work outward.
Which might be true. But it can also be true that he gets it wrong as to what constitutes an outward sign that someone has something about themselves to sort out.

Emjay

Executive Member
In other words the Gillette advert was ill-conceived or simply very poorly executed.

But who would Jordan Peterson be stereotyping in this particular case? Humans perhaps? I think he does stereotype on certain topics. He does come in for a lot of criticism. Some of it is going to be entirely justified because the guy says a lot of completely unsubstantiated things.

Which might be true. But it can also be true that he gets it wrong as to what constitutes an outward sign that someone has something about themselves to sort out.
What does JP say that is unsubstantiated?

DMNknight

Expert Member

Jordan Peterson is a Clinical Psychologist with many years of experience. He doesn't "believe" that taking responsibility for your own life before trying to change things external to you.
He has many many years of practical proof where his clients, taking this approach, have gained control of their own lives and in turn been in a position to make positive changes external to themselves.

This is not some wiffle he made up on the spot, he and his patients bear positive proof that it works.
And just to back it up with other evidence not related to JP or Psychology.

The Navy Seals also take this approach, called Extreme Ownership.
https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Ownership-U-S-Navy-Seals/dp/1466874961

The simple concept is, for those that get hung up on the literal meaning of "clean up your own room" or "get your own house in order" is that anyone who doesn't take personal responsibility for themselves, cannot possibly be able or trusted to take responsibility for something else.

This concept is not new at all and goes very far back into the history of humanity.
GOSPEL: Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. (Matthew, 7:3-5; Luke, 6:37-42)

GOSPEL: Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: "... So you must obey them and do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach." (Matthew, 23:1-3)

QURAN: Do you order people to devoutness and forget yourselves, when you recite the Book? Will you not use your intellect? (Surat al-Baqara, 44)

Emjay

Executive Member
The Navy Seals also take this approach, called Extreme Ownership.
https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Ownership-U-S-Navy-Seals/dp/1466874961
Oh man. This reminds me of Jocko Willink's podcasts. I absolutely love them. He waffles on about Taekwondo a bit much for me though.

His podcasts breaking down some wartime atrocities are also amazing. They approach it from the view of the soldiers and relate things back to their experiences. It helps deconstruct how we can have relatively good guys commit such insane acts, and then even tie it back to extreme ownership with a view of avoiding such acts.

DMNknight

Expert Member
Oh man. This reminds me of Jocko Willink's podcasts. I absolutely love them. He waffles on about Taekwondo a bit much for me though.

His podcasts breaking down some wartime atrocities are also amazing. They approach it from the view of the soldiers and relate things back to their experiences. It helps deconstruct how we can have relatively good guys commit such insane acts, and then even tie it back to extreme ownership with a view of avoiding such acts.
It's written by Jocko :p He was on 94.7 with Darren Simpson

Emjay

Executive Member
It's written by Jocko :p He was on 94.7 with Darren Simpson
Oh, my bad! I only recently picked up on his podcasts. :X3::laugh:

Jordan Peterson is a Clinical Psychologist with many years of experience. He doesn't "believe" that taking responsibility for your own life before trying to change things external to you.
He has many many years of practical proof where his clients, taking this approach, have gained control of their own lives and in turn been in a position to make positive changes external to themselves.

This is not some wiffle he made up on the spot, he and his patients bear positive proof that it works.
And just to back it up with other evidence not related to JP or Psychology.
There is a deeper message here too, which I think people tend to miss. They hear JP saying things like "Clean your room!", and we hear a simple and childish instruction. But it has underlying meaning. If we want to change our lives, people think that the answer is a massive effort all at once. When you start enforcing discipline into your life on a daily basis, and not waver on the small things, those small things tend to start filtering upwards and helps with big things in life. This is why the military are so super strict. It's to ensure that discipline is always maintained, even on minor things such as shiny boots, and perfectly made beds. The moment you make one too many concessions, those concessions start seeping in everywhere.

It's a pretty cool message. I think that the criticism of JP in many instances is unfair. His political views are not mainstream, so people reject the message because he does not echo what they believe. If they don't need it, then they are not the intended recipient either.