P&G Challenges Men to Shave Their ‘Toxic Masculinity’ in Gillette Ad

Eniigma

Expert Member
Oh, my bad! I only recently picked up on his podcasts. :X3::laugh:

There is a deeper message here too, which I think people tend to miss. They hear JP saying things like "Clean your room!", and we hear a simple and childish instruction. But it has underlying meaning. If we want to change our lives, people think that the answer is a massive effort all at once. When you start enforcing discipline into your life on a daily basis, and not waver on the small things, those small things tend to start filtering upwards and helps with big things in life. This is why the military are so super strict. It's to ensure that discipline is always maintained, even on minor things such as shiny boots, and perfectly made beds. The moment you make one too many concessions, those concessions start seeping in everywhere.

It's a pretty cool message. I think that the criticism of JP in many instances is unfair. His political views are not mainstream, so people reject the message because he does not echo what they believe. If they don't need it, then they are not the intended recipient either.
It's a bit like this commencement speach about making your bed.

GoofySmurf

It will soon be illegal to be a man the way the MEETOO movement is going on.

I dont have a issue with the ADD I have a massive issue with inferior people/movements trying to drag the rest down cause their feelings are hurt or they are to dumb to earn a decent living so it must be the white mans fault.

As far as I know there are abuse issues with WHITE/BLACK/ORANGE etc men as well, why are white men being targeted by the feminist/antifa/meeto loons ?

kolaval

Expert Member
That is a really good advert. I'm not a fan of business getting involved in these kind of campaigns because it all too often ends up being more self-serving than serving the cause, but this isn't too bad. At least it is provoking discussion, and they should ignore the backlash from those who refuse to acknowledge that the world is changing.
You're not a fan unless they say what you like to hear.
They sell shaving stuff, they're not some sort of moral compass.

DMNknight

Expert Member
You're not a fan unless they say what you like to hear.
They sell shaving stuff, they're not some sort of moral compass.
I think any business that has become about making money, rather than providing a good product for a good price should leave the moral high grounds for those that are there.

... like the good men who they are advertising to... :unsure::rolleyes:

DMNknight

Expert Member
A business is only created to make a profit. A charity is set up to distribute resources. An African style SOE is set up to loot from society.

Savvy?
Completely wrong. Business started as Barter/Trading system where accumulating any single one item would not enable you to create infinite wealth.
With the invention of money, a centralised universal currency, it was suddenly possible to do so.

It is possible to run a business at a profit and still offer quality products at reasonable prices while paying staff reasonable salaries commensurate with the value they add to the business.
However, it is LESS profitable to do so and requires a LOT more work to manage effectively and provides less return for investment for investors. It requires a lot of moral values modern businesses cannot possess because of the way they are run. Investors want maximum return from their investment while caring little for the impact it has on the business, product, personnel and client.

I am not saying that the above is a workable system, because a single deviant will break it, but it does firmly and permanently disqualify businesses from make a moral stand and anything approaching it, is simply virtue signalling to sell more product.

Last edited:

Cray

Honorary Master
It is possible to run a business at a profit and still offer quality products at reasonable prices while paying staff reasonable salaries commensurate with the value they add to the business.
However, it is LESS profitable to do so and requires a LOT more work to manage effectively and provides less return for investment for investors. It requires a lot of moral values modern businesses cannot possess because of the way they are run. Investors want maximum return from their investment while caring little for the impact it has on the business, product, personnel and staff..
That's a massive generalization, plenty of shareholders care about the types of companies they invest in and actively influence the type of behavior of companies they have already invested in...

Example - https://theecologist.org/2010/feb/26/bp-and-shell-face-new-shareholder-revolt-over-tar-sands

BP and Shell face new shareholder revolt over tar sands

noxibox

Honorary Master
Some criticism of Jordan Peterson may be because some view of his is allegedly not mainstream, but there is at the same time criticism that is based on the fact that he has misrepresented the research, misunderstood it or simply made things up that suit his view.

This is why the military are so super strict. It's to ensure that discipline is always maintained, even on minor things such as shiny boots, and perfectly made beds. The moment you make one too many concessions, those concessions start seeping in everywhere.
I'll claim that they do it to engender conformism and cohesion. A key aim is to destroy individuality. It doesn't indicate it has value outside of the military.

When you start enforcing discipline into your life on a daily basis, and not waver on the small things, those small things tend to start filtering upwards and helps with big things in life.
It's a bit like this commencement speach about making your bed.
My point is that it's a question of what things an individual values. I get no sense of pride out of making a bed. I don't feel I've done anything useful. Coming home to a made bed means absolutely nothing to me. Thus I can argue that someone appearing neglectful in some area of their life can as easily be a sign that they have made a choice to focus their attention and energy elsewhere. This is an example of where Peterson gets things wrong.

That's a massive generalization, plenty of shareholders care about the types of companies they invest in and actively influence the type of behavior of companies they have already invested in...

Example - https://theecologist.org/2010/feb/26/bp-and-shell-face-new-shareholder-revolt-over-tar-sands
Yes, some do, but you'll also hear the argument that a business must focus on delivering money to shareholders, even when that is at the expense of behaving in a moral and ethical manner.

DMNknight

Expert Member

Agreed, but just because there are outliers, does not mean the "general" truth to be untrue.
I am willing to concede, that after generations of businesses behaving this way, perhaps we are turning the corner for smarter consumers and ergo more morally responsible businesses but not right now.