P&G Challenges Men to Shave Their ‘Toxic Masculinity’ in Gillette Ad

Cray

Honorary Master
Agreed, but just because there are outliers, does not mean the "general" truth to be untrue.
I am willing to concede, that after generations of businesses behaving this way, perhaps we are turning the corner for smarter consumers and ergo more morally responsible businesses but not right now.
Agree, it does seem to be a more modern way of thinking, I doubt anything like a shareholder revolt would have happened 50 years ago. Also think the culture and existing wealth of the country has a lot to do with it, I would imagine corporate responsibility is a far bigger deal in European countries than say Latin America (That company, Vale that owned that Dam that collapsed in Brazil for example).

kolaval

Expert Member
The moment you make one too many concessions, those concessions start seeping in everywhere.
I'll claim that they do it to engender conformism and cohesion. A key aim is to destroy individuality. It doesn't indicate it has value outside of the military.
I disagree.
I work in an environment where there are consequences if the rules/procedures are not followed explicitly.

kolaval

Expert Member
You and Jordan Peterson might believe this, but that doesn't make it true.
Which might be true. But it can also be true that he gets it wrong as to what constitutes an outward sign that someone has something about themselves to sort out.
Why would it not be true?
How is he wrong about that?

Completely wrong. Business started as Barter/Trading system where accumulating any single one item would not enable you to create infinite wealth.
With the invention of money, a centralised universal currency, it was suddenly possible to do so.

It is possible to run a business at a profit and still offer quality products at reasonable prices while paying staff reasonable salaries commensurate with the value they add to the business.
However, it is LESS profitable to do so and requires a LOT more work to manage effectively and provides less return for investment for investors. It requires a lot of moral values modern businesses cannot possess because of the way they are run. Investors want maximum return from their investment while caring little for the impact it has on the business, product, personnel and client.

I am not saying that the above is a workable system, because a single deviant will break it, but it does firmly and permanently disqualify businesses from make a moral stand and anything approaching it, is simply virtue signalling to sell more product.
Have you ever started a business?

Was is successful?