P30 lite 2020 - R279/month

InternetSwag

Expert Member
Hi guys
Vodacom is offering the P30 Lite 2020 with now 6gb ram and 128gb storage
And it has Google apps too, because the ban excludes the p30 lite so they are technically re releasing it.

I currently pay R309 for my p20 lite so was wondering it I should get this
My contract expires this month

Is this worth it? Better phone for cheaper?
What you think?

splattie

My P10 lite does pretty much what my P30 pro can, albeit not so great. For my next move, I will stop paying cell providers so much money every month and start looking at cash options for my devices.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
That P30 has poor battery life and the ram and rom is overkill.
I would look at a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8. Costs R2k less and has similar specs. And then take out a SIM only deal.

Long term investment on a Huawei is risky.

4ftersh0ck

Hi guys
Vodacom is offering the P30 Lite 2020 with now 6gb ram and 128gb storage
And it has Google apps too, because the ban excludes the p30 lite so they are technically re releasing it.

I currently pay R309 for my p20 lite so was wondering it I should get this
My contract expires this month

Is this worth it? Better phone for cheaper?
What you think?
I am paying R299 for Samsung A30s on MTN. I am pretty happy with the phone

InternetSwag

Expert Member
Trying to get a hold of Vodacom is like impossible rn.
They claim to still be doing deliveries during lockdown, but i cant actually tell anyone I want this phone lol
cant even buy it online
guess ill wait

hubb

They claim to still be doing deliveries during lockdown, but i cant actually tell anyone I want this phone lol
cant even buy it online
FWIW I ordered one yesterday over the phone on the R279 deal. I think it's online-only as only the R299 deal shows up on their call-centre system. The first agent I spoke to "couldn't" help me, but I called again later and another agent said they're also handling online orders (because of the lockdown). I told him exactly what I was seeing on my side online, he opened up the website on his side, and gave me the upgrade.

The standard P30 lite had different variants but as far as I can tell the 2020 edition always comes with 256GB storage and 6GB RAM. It also has a better screen.

*Scrap that. They sell you a P30 lite with a sticker on the box saying it's the new/2020 edition.

Last edited:

Sir Bob

This is like comparing apples and bananas. What contract are you currently on and does it give you enough data and minutes.

I think that it is a good deal but only if 175 is enough airtime. If it isn't you need to look at your total spend per month and find a better deal.

Side point if you call and threaten to move to another SP they will offer you discounted data prices. If you push hard enough they might even offer 80% off but depends on the day.
They used to be able to offer 2gb data on the cheaper contracts and 5gb data on expensive contracts but I think this has stopped.

InternetSwag

Expert Member
I got this phone and so far I can notice a few differences.
But I'll hold off till using it for a full review.
The first thing is, the screen is much better than my p20 lites, better color. A bit bigger too, but that doesn't phase me.
And it's really pretty - crystal blue or whatever.

InternetSwag

Expert Member
FWIW I ordered one yesterday over the phone on the R279 deal. I think it's online-only as only the R299 deal shows up on their call-centre system. The first agent I spoke to "couldn't" help me, but I called again later and another agent said they're also handling online orders (because of the lockdown). I told him exactly what I was seeing on my side online, he opened up the website on his side, and gave me the upgrade.

The standard P30 lite had different variants but as far as I can tell the 2020 edition always comes with 256GB storage and 6GB RAM. It also has a better screen.

*Scrap that. They sell you a P30 lite with a sticker on the box saying it's the new/2020 edition.
Can confirm this does come with a sticker on it saying its a new edition. But in the system settings it does in fact say 6gb ram and 128gb rom
A lot of sites report it to have 256gb even cellucity's own site so idk where that is from

edit: I downloaded AIDA just to make sure. Yeah it is 6gb 128gb.

edit 2: I played a few games, Hearthstone, Dungeon Boss and Need for Speed on my phone. Everything ran well. Hearthstone in particular would run slow on my old phone when I try to attack someone. But I didn't really buy this for gaming tbh I have a pc for that just wanna see what it can do

Last edited:

InternetSwag

Expert Member
Been using this phone for 12 days now.

I really like it. The screen is amazing.
I played a lot of games on it. RAID shadow legends and Age of Magic.

Age of Magic was lagging a bit on max settings, so I thought that was the phones limit. But I installed it on my roommates A71 and it does the exact same thing. Then ran Bluestacks 4 on my Gaming PC and the same thing. It's a problem with the game obviously.

I'm sure some game will eventually cripple it, but as of right now. I'm happy to keep getting R300/month phones forever.

Duke of Hazard

I really like it. The screen is amazing.

I'm sure some game will eventually cripple it, but as of right now. I'm happy to keep getting R300/month phones forever.
How's the build quality? Any Google apps? I swore this was my last Huawei (P20 Lite) camera lens broken, camera lousy, lack of chromecast/casting ability specifically to Samsung TV.

100% with you on the R300/m phone! I'll never fork out close to R1k a month of my own money for a phone ever again

InternetSwag

Expert Member
How's the build quality? Any Google apps? I swore this was my last Huawei (P20 Lite) camera lens broken, camera lousy, lack of chromecast/casting ability specifically to Samsung TV.

100% with you on the R300/m phone! I'll never fork out close to R1k a month of my own money for a phone ever again
The camera is a lot better, but also worse. I take a lot of selfies/random pics of my animals and the quality is much better, more detailed, less blurryness and better zoom.
However, I can't take good pictures of screens. If I take a quick pic of my monitor to show someone my stats or FPS in a game, it becomes very ugly - my old p20 lite didn't do this. It's almost like when you took a pic with an old phone of a TV screen and the black bars came across the screen.

But yeah if you need a good camera, get the A51 perhaps. I don't think anyone is buying this phone for the camera lol.

Build quality is pretty much identical to the p20 lite, but slightly bigger

soguvecu

very strange nowadays use huawei phones without google services :(
but huawei phones absolutly awesome