Packet loss whilst gaming after line upgrade.

Stiffmeister

Hello everybody. I need some assistance.
ISP: Telkom
Package: DSL 20mb Premium

About a month back, I upgraded my 10mb uncapped package to the new 20mb dsl offering from Telkom. Prior to upgrading, gaming performance was great. Ping was fine and I never had issues with packet loss. Ever since the 20mb upgrade came into effect, gaming performance hasn't been to good. Ping isn't too bad but the packet loss is ridiculous. Sometimes it's intermittent but other times it's constant. I recently called 10210, they did a port reset for me but it hasn't made a difference.
My line stats are great. I'm running at 20mbps on an ADSL line. Could this be the issue? Would having them change my modulation to VDSL fix the issue?
I've used pingplotter, tried google.com, insane packet loss. But i find if I have to use a VPN, there isn't any? I'm confused.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

"D"

Expert Member
Would having them change my modulation to VDSL fix the issue?
Why not try that?

It is usually a better quality connection (better sync rates), plus you get a higher upload speed.

(But if your router does not have VDSL capabilities, it cannot be done, of course.)

Stiffmeister

In the meantime you could log a fault for the packet loss issue, if it persists.
I've logged a fault today. Hoping there's an issue on their side and not mine. I'll most likely just purchase a VDSL modem (was thinking about the tp-link VR300) and change modulation.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I've logged a fault today. Hoping there's an issue on their side and not mine. I'll most likely just purchase a VDSL modem (was thinking about the tp-link VR300) and change modulation.

Switching your modulation to a VDSL profile will definitely improve your line stats. At the very least your upload speed will increase from 1Mbps to 5Mbps on a 20Mbps VDSL profile.

Stiffmeister

Noted. Thanks for the help fellas.
Also, last question. Is swapping over from Adsl to Vdsl instant?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Noted. Thanks for the help fellas.
Also, last question. Is swapping over from Adsl to Vdsl instant?

If you're a Telkom client (i.e. you rent your ADSL line from Telkom directly, not another ISP) then the call centre should be able to upgrade it remotely literally while they're speaking to you. You'll see your line go down for a moment and then it will come back up remodulated to VDSL. Obviously make sure you've got a VDSL router connected to the line first, because once they switch the modulation to VDSL a normal ADSL router will not be able to sync to the exchange at all.

Stiffmeister

If you're a Telkom client (i.e. you rent your ADSL line from Telkom directly, not another ISP) then the call centre should be able to upgrade it remotely literally while they're speaking to you. You'll see your line go down for a moment and then it will come back up remodulated to VDSL. Obviously make sure you've got a VDSL router connected to the line first, because once they switch the modulation to VDSL a normal ADSL router will not be able to sync to the exchange at all.
I see. I’ll get a vdsl router soon and do this. Thank you!

"D"

Expert Member
Switching your modulation to a VDSL profile will definitely improve your line stats. At the very least your upload speed will increase from 1Mbps to 5Mbps on a 20Mbps VDSL profile.
Correction: At most

Stiffmeister

Update:
After submitting this post, I called Telkom. Told them about the packet loss/ping issues. They logged a fault. A day later I was called and told that it was solved. Still isn't solved (actually worse now). Anyway, after upgrading to 20mb, my line has been syncing at 22mb. It was perfectly fine apart for the above mentioned issues but after they claimed to have solved the issue, my line sync speed has been decreasing overnight. From 22mb to 20mb, then 18mb to 16mb and now 14mb ? And the packet loss/ping issue is much worse now. Gaming online is even more awful. Constant ping spikes and higher packet loss. I genuinely do not understand. My area is capable of supporting vdsl up to 40mb but I'm having issues with 20mb adsl2+ ?
I tried to change modulation to vdsl today, but 10213 was out of office hours.
My stats are attached below. Can someone please help. I'm losing my mind.
IMG-3631.jpg

Retro1337

We had a similar issue after upgrading to 20 mbps and eventually after countless tickets openserve just told us that the infrastructure is old and there is nothing they can do and we must downgrade to 10 meg if we want stability. Was really annoying, luckily got fibre 3/4 months later

Stiffmeister

We had a similar issue after upgrading to 20 mbps and eventually after countless tickets openserve just told us that the infrastructure is old and there is nothing they can do and we must downgrade to 10 meg if we want stability. Was really annoying, luckily got fibre 3/4 months later
Damn. I really hope I can get the issue solved without having to downgrade to 10. You really do a significant difference between the two line speeds.

cavedog

Honorary Master
If line speed increases SNR drops that's just how adsl works.

On ADSL the SNR tanks very fast when you start reaching the max sync speed of ADSL2+

I you should try to switch to VDSL. Make sure you don't have any pots filter connected that can cause noise sometimes.

Check the rj11 cable between the wall and the router. If the plug is not plugged in properly then that can cause noise too.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Update:
After submitting this post, I called Telkom. Told them about the packet loss/ping issues. They logged a fault. A day later I was called and told that it was solved. Still isn't solved (actually worse now). Anyway, after upgrading to 20mb, my line has been syncing at 22mb. It was perfectly fine apart for the above mentioned issues but after they claimed to have solved the issue, my line sync speed has been decreasing overnight. From 22mb to 20mb, then 18mb to 16mb and now 14mb ? And the packet loss/ping issue is much worse now. Gaming online is even more awful. Constant ping spikes and higher packet loss. I genuinely do not understand. My area is capable of supporting vdsl up to 40mb but I'm having issues with 20mb adsl2+ ?
I tried to change modulation to vdsl today, but 10213 was out of office hours.
My stats are attached below. Can someone please help. I'm losing my mind.
View attachment 906788

Your line stats are great. With noise margin the higher the number the better, and anything above 10db is excellent. With line attenuation the lower the number the better, and I would say anything below 20dB is excellent. So I really don't see any problem with your line stats, you have a good solid line based on those figures.

But really, you need to upgrade to VDSL modulation ASAP.

Spontaneous spinach

Expert Member
Thank you everyone for the help. My fault has been resolved. Changing modulation to VDSL has fixed everything. My ping is better than before. No packet loss. Line is back to syncing at 20mb and upload is now at 5mb. :love:
Did you get to keep your Landline when you moved to premium?

Stiffmeister

Did you get to keep your Landline when you moved to premium?
Yeah. The whole reason I chose premium was because I still needed the landline and a speed upgrade. Everything else was the same as simply upgrading a package. Performance is good as well, considering it’s Telkom lol.

Edit: I think if you choose the lite package, then Openserve will come and do some installations or whatever and there won’t be a landline.